Anybody Notice The Feds Wants Apple To Break Into An Americans phone

• WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 10:46 AM

. Everyone wants government to support their pet projects, which is why we fight so hard over elections - taxing other people to pay for what the mob wants. Originally Posted by DSK
Yes I find that to be true...not that many so called conservatives will admit as much. Thank you for doing so. It has been my contention all along that that is all either do...so for a conservatives to thimk they are any different than liberals in regards to over all spending is idiotiic at best..
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM
If you sold a safe that was uncrackable .... had no master key to unlock it ... why can the government then compel you to crack it.

Apple should not be compelled to crack a safe they sold. One they have no key for. That is the responsibility of the safe cracker wanting it opened.

Look...i realize to some of you chicken shits...the government should have access to every fucking thing to keep you safe....but with that power , you give up what little bit of control you might still have.
I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the government here. What they are asking is for security to be degraded on phones. This opens the door for the government to snoop whenever they want (and considering relatively recent revelations of the government mass collecting everyone's data, this should be a concern to everyone), but it also opens the door to criminals gaining access and even, yes, terrorists.

It amazes me that people are arguing that the government should make us all less safe because they want the contents of one phone. What bothers me the most is especially because this is coming from conservatives. They are asking Apple to give them something that will effectively allow them to break into any phone they want. Even though the ability to do so exists, the government is saying there is no reason for you to be able to communicate in a way that they cannot snoop on. Why would any small government conservative argue in favor of that? Do we really hate terrorists more than we like our freedoms?
I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the government here. Originally Posted by eatfibo
I can honestly believe you "can't believe anyone is defending the government here."

I can also honestly believe that you were "one of those" who criticized Bush II for failing to "connect the dots" and prevent 911. You are also opposed to GITMO and "enhanced interrogation techniques" too!

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I can honestly believe you "can't believe anyone is defending the government here."

I can also honestly believe that you were "one of those" who criticized Bush II for failing to "connect the dots" and prevent 911. You are also opposed to GITMO and "enhanced interrogation techniques" too!

Back to the regularly scheduled thread. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Yes on all counts...except blaming Bush for 9/11.

9/11 is the result of out interventionist policies throughout the world. We should expect some of that blowback if we continue such actions. That is the reality.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
LL why are we less safe because Apple will not create a backdoor into their phone? Why does Apple have to create it? What if they can not.? Jave you always been for big government intrusion? I have no problem with the government hacking the phone but why dhould they compel Apple to?
WTF .. why is the sky blue?
Back to the regularly scheduled thread. Originally Posted by LexusLover
And when you want to respond to what I said rather than incorrectly put words into my mouth for situations that are completely unrelated to this one, feel free.

WTF .. why is the sky blue?
It's not so simple. Once you open up a backdoor, and someone discovers it, there is no "closing" that door. All of your information on that phone is now open to anyone who has that tool to open it. Considering how to open it would be nothing more than information about how to do it, there is no doubt that it would become quickly wide spread. I don't know how you use your phone, but I use mine for a lot of private, confidential and important stuff. Especially work because I am on the road a lot.

So if you think of the issue as simply, "ermahgerd! terrorists!" - and ignore the potential governmental abuse of this and the almost certain abuse of this by criminals and, yes (as I said before), terrorists - I can how you could think it is patently obvious that it is definitely bad for us. However, if you honestly understand what they are talking about, you could see how the answer is much more grey and probably, even, obviously the opposite of what you think it is.
... and ignore ...the almost certain abuse of this by criminals and, yes (as I said before), terrorists - Originally Posted by eatfibo
You actually believe the "criminals" and "terrorists" are going to get a copy of the software to crack the encryption and then go around "cracking" everyone's Apple Phone?

Sometimes you ought to reread what you post.
You actually believe the "criminals" and "terrorists" are going to get a copy of the software to crack the encryption and then go around "cracking" everyone's Apple Phone?

Sometimes you ought to reread what you post. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Wait, you think that criminals won't eventually get their hands on it? A hole like this is bound to be found, especially when people know it is there and there is so much value in finding it. That is, if it isn't outright sold and bought by someone, considering how much some people would be willing to pay for it.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 03:36 PM
WTF .. why is the sky blue? Originally Posted by LexusLover
Do you want the government to make Apple change it to red?
I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the government here. What they are asking is for security to be degraded on phones. This opens the door for the government to snoop whenever they want (and considering relatively recent revelations of the government mass collecting everyone's data, this should be a concern to everyone), but it also opens the door to criminals gaining access and even, yes, terrorists.

It amazes me that people are arguing that the government should make us all less safe because they want the contents of one phone. What bothers me the most is especially because this is coming from conservatives. They are asking Apple to give them something that will effectively allow them to break into any phone they want. Even though the ability to do so exists, the government is saying there is no reason for you to be able to communicate in a way that they cannot snoop on. Why would any small government conservative argue in favor of that? Do we really hate terrorists more than we like our freedoms? Originally Posted by eatfibo
I must agree with eatfiber. If the government wants the phone open, they can open it themselves. They have NO right to force Apple to essentially open EVERYONE'S iPhone. We are in more danger from government than this guy's phone.

Google is supporting Apple, too. Tim Cook deserves to be a "folk hero". Don't trade Liberty for security. You won't like result.
If the government wants the phone open, they can open it themselves. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
The phone producers and consumers are probably better off with lawsuit to get a phone examined than a statute prohibiting a "government proof encryption."

"Frying pan into the fire!"

Does the government have a legitimate interest in being able to access the data in phones?
Wait, you think that criminals won't eventually get their hands on it? Originally Posted by eatfibo
Another irrelevant question that is not worthy of being answered.
American or not a terrorist is a terrorist !

The guy was an American. The wife not.

exNYer understands. The point is the government needs to do its due diligence BEFORE they step foot in this country. Originally Posted by gnadfly