Insurrectionist Removed From Office

When did the trial happen and what was the result of the verdict? No trial, no verdict, the OP is nothing but a lie and should result in the ban of the writer. Not even worthy of being called an opinion.
And how does this NOT describe Diaper Don and the White Supremacists? Originally Posted by chefnerd
Dude, it's embarrassing that you think Wikipedia is a great source or you quote someone who thinks the same.

From Merriam Webster's dictionary

Definition of fascism
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralize autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Note that it doesn't say right or left. Fascism comes in both colors. This kind of smells like the democratic party to me.
When did the trial happen and what was the result of the verdict? No trial, no verdict, the OP is nothing but a lie and should result in the ban of the writer. Not even worthy of being called an opinion. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn

So you're saying this didn't happen and he's still in his position as county commissioner? I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about it all being "FAKE NEWS"...that is all it apparently takes to convince some with a small intellect.
When did the trial happen and what was the result of the verdict? No trial, no verdict, the OP is nothing but a lie and should result in the ban of the writer. Not even worthy of being called an opinion. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Per the information found in the following link found in Post # 1 of the Thread - https://www.kcra.com/amp/article/new...ffice/41093743
He was found guilty in Federal Court, and that disqualified him from holding office per the State Law.
SANTA FE, N.M. —
A New Mexico state district court judge has disqualified county commissioner and Cowboys for Trump cofounder Couy Griffin from holding public office for engaging in insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

State District Court Judge Francis Mathew issued a ruling Tuesday that permanently prohibits Griffin from holding or seeking local or federal office.

Griffin was previously convicted in federal court of a misdemeanor for entering Capitol grounds on Jan. 6, 2021. He was sentenced to 14 days and given credit for time served.
The ruling immediately removes Griffin from his position as a commissioner in Otero County.

The decision marked the first time since 1869 that someone was removed from public office for violating Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, also known as the Disqualification Clause, according to Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

Written to keep former Confederates from holding elected positions, the clause bars any person from holding federal or state office who took an “oath…to support the Constitution of the United States” as an “officer of any State” and then “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” or gave “aid or comfort” to insurrectionists.
Gee you mean his conviction in D.C during the Insurrection?
Dude, it's embarrassing that you think Wikipedia is a great source or you quote someone who thinks the same.

From Merriam Webster's dictionary

Definition of fascism
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralize autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Note that it doesn't say right or left. Fascism comes in both colors. This kind of smells like the democratic party to me. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
If you had ANY clue what I was talking about (which I know you never have had) you would realize that NO, I do not believe Wikipedia to be the be all of anything.. Now what you posted is a part of the tenets I posted in another thread. BUT, there is no one fits all definition when it comes to Fascism. As I posted in another thread, there are certain characteristics of Fascism, but there have been many different versions of it.
  • WTF
  • 09-11-2022, 06:41 AM
Is this what the political world has come to?

A man is convicted in a Court of Law and now supporters of Trump just pretend it never happened?

Barelycorn, you do know how to Google, right?

Have you done so and just did not believe the results?

Do you just believe right wing propaganda and haven't run across this fact?

Why would you say such nonsense.
I have the faux blackman on ignore so I can only go by the OP title. Now that the mod has stepped in, I can comment.

The man's name is Couy Griffin since you lefties don't want to put that out there. Don't know why. Must be something pathological. Anyway, my question which was, I think, intentionally misunderstood, WHEN WAS GRIFFEN CONVICTED OF INSURRECTION? As you might have guessed, he wasn't. He was convicted of trespass, fined, and given probation. This was a misdemeanor conviction. Note that...a misdemeanor conviction for TRESPASS and not insurrection. You do know what Bing is don't you?

Anyway, the law says that any conviction of INSURRECTION shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Griffin did NOT take an oath as a Senator, representative, judge, executive officer and did not hold a federal or state office. He held a county office which is not named in the Insurrection Clause. And, to repeat, he was not convicted of insurrection or rebellion.

Judge Francis Matthew is a registered democrat.

So, for the layman, Griffin was not convicted of insurrection or rebellion. He was convicted by a Trump appointed judge of trespass only. The article in the Constitution refers to federal and state offices, not county offices. The democrat judge attempted to bolster his credentials by including a 49-page document to distract from the unconstitutionality of his decision. I predict that this will be overturned on appeal.
  • WTF
  • 09-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Being convicted of trespassing DURING an insurrection is in fact participating in an insurrection!

While he stopped short of giving Griffin additional prison time, McFadden remarked at sentencing on the "grave tension" between his conduct on January 6 and his oath as a county commissioner in New Mexico to protect and defend the Constitution.
Being convicted of trespassing DURING an insurrection is in fact participating in an insurrection!

While he stopped short of giving Griffin additional prison time, McFadden remarked at sentencing on the "grave tension" between his conduct on January 6 and his oath as a county commissioner in New Mexico to protect and defend the Constitution. Originally Posted by WTF
... But then what happened on 6th Jan was a protest
and NOT "insurrection"...

So that's that.

#### Salty
It was a failed attempt at an insurrection to clear.

But that’s exactly what we’d expect from Trumpys. They are a bunch of dullards.
Words are hard...especially if English is just what you're trolling in and not your native language.

Definition of insurrection

: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government
  • Tiny
  • 09-11-2022, 07:20 PM
I do not believe this issue merits the attention of the eccie Political Forum brain trust. We have much more important problems to address. But do think this article presents the issue from an interesting perspective.

As I understand it, Griffin is barred from office in New Mexico for life. But Donald Trump, if someday incarcerated (which I believe is unlikely) could run for president from a jail cell?

Couy Griffin, Disqualified for Jan. 6?
A judge bars an elected official from public office for life.

By The Editorial Board

The lawbreakers of Jan. 6 are being prosecuted for a variety of offenses. But should the courts also bar them from holding public office, like Confederates after the Civil War?

That happened Tuesday in New Mexico when a state judge disqualified Otero County Commissioner Couy Griffin from holding public office. The 14th Amendment bars from office anyone who once took an oath to support the U.S. Constitution and then “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same.” Judge Francis Mathew, of New Mexico’s First Judicial District, says this language means Mr. Griffin must be removed and “barred for life” from office.

The breadth of this precedent is troubling, which is no defense of Mr. Griffin’s conduct on Jan. 6. According to the court’s findings, he trespassed on restricted areas outside the Capitol and riled up the mob with a bullhorn. In a Facebook video the next day he said “Joe Biden will never be President” and floated the idea of “a Second Amendment rally on those same steps,” in which case “there’s going to be blood running out of that building.”

Mr. Griffin was acquitted of disorderly conduct but convicted of entering and remaining on restricted grounds. New Mexico lets private citizens sue to eject an unlawful officeholder, and a group of residents did so with help from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. Tuesday’s ruling might be only the start of this disqualification campaign.

Judge Mathew says an “insurrection” is an assemblage that uses force or intimidation to “prevent the execution of one or more federal laws.” But consider the scope of that definition. Two years ago a crowd in Portland, Ore., yelled “feds go home” and gave cover to assaults on a U.S. courthouse. In 2018 a Los Angeles councilman and 17 others were arrested for obstructing access to an immigration facility. “We need, by the millions, to be coming out and blocking the entrance to federal detention centers,” he urged. Sound a little insurrectiony?

In Judge Mathew’s view, the 14th amendment can be triggered even if the public official in question was peaceful and wasn’t convicted of a crime. He says the disqualification provision covers anyone who’s “leagued” with insurrectionists, including those who engaged in “non-violent overt acts or words in furtherance of the insurrection.” Where is the line between a Jan. 6 rioter and a person who now regrets giving $50 to a “stop the steal” fund?

Some Democrats have talked about barring Republicans in Congress from running again on similar grounds. But down that road lies more political trouble as politicians use courts, rather than elections, to defeat their opponents. Mr. Griffin is best disqualified by the voters.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disqual...ot-11662586737
  • WTF
  • 09-12-2022, 01:02 PM
... But then what happened on 6th Jan was a protest
and NOT "insurrection"...

So that's that.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Yea and OJ and Nicole were a domestic disturbance and not a double homicide!
Words are hard...especially if English is just what you're trolling in and not your native language.

Definition of insurrection

: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government Originally Posted by 69in2it69

Then we saw an entire summer of insurrection by BLM and like minded people, right?