Neighborhood or Dive Bars

Pogos, that was a silly teen club. Girlfriends and I used to wait in the parking lot waiting to prey on some unsuspecting single guy. We would finagle him into taking our money, go inside the liquor store next door and buy us some crap I wouldn't even drink on a bet now....Mad Dog LOL. Geez that stuff was disgusting, but did the trick. We would take turns slamming that nasty concoction. Then we would pay the cover, and dance the night away. Well until it closed at like 11pm or midnight LOL. I just remember thinking we were so cool because we had scored some booze, and we could smoke cigarettes inside LOL. Pogos was located off 75th & Nieman right next to the discount movie theater and Johnny C's pizza (which by the way is freaking fabulous if you are a fan of STL style pizzas & have the best onion straws this side of the Mississippi LOL).
  • KCJoe
  • 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
KC Joe, I know which one you are talking about, but I can't remember. I'm old enough to remember it was there but too old to remember the name. Or is it I forgot what I forgot?
I do remember one thing, I think it was Spero Bros not Spano. Wouldn't that be a nightmare a forgetful hitman!! Originally Posted by vitokc
Spero, Spano, it was a long time ago and my memory is not like it was either. But at least you confirmed for me that it wasn't just fokelore and it actually happened.
...a forgetful hitman!! Originally Posted by vitokc
I'm no lawyer, but...you might want to delete that post.
I used to go to the Quaff....many years ago, before the remodeling. I always got a kick out of talking with some of the old guys. Many of them had lived in KC their entire life and like sharing their knowledge and experience!

I remember a couple of guys in particular. One guys was an ace in WWII. He had the paperwork to prove it! The other guy wasn't that old but anytime the song Elvira came on he would drape himself over the jukebox and sing along!

Joe and Newt are great guys. It has been a long time since I have been there. The last time was right after they remodeled.

Does anybody remember One Block West? I used to go there when I was 18!! There was another popular "18" bar or two on the Kansas side but I don't remember the name!

Ahhh.......the memories!! Originally Posted by Bubba
one block west. wow what memories. I used to work there. Had a few fond memories in the parking lot also.
  • Bubba
  • 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I do remember Pogos. If I remember correctly I only went there once or twice.

I remember the Merry Go Round too!

I miss going to the Quaff. The last time I was there was not long after they remodeled.....many years ago. Do you guys remember the ice in the urinals?? LOL! The first auto-flush urinals......LOL!!! OH....one other thing.....do they still have the phone booth???
I do remember Pogos. If I remember correctly I only went there once or twice.

I remember the Merry Go Round too!

I miss going to the Quaff. The last time I was there was not long after they remodeled.....many years ago. Do you guys remember the ice in the urinals?? LOL! The first auto-flush urinals......LOL!!! OH....one other thing.....do they still have the phone booth??? Originally Posted by Bubba
I remember the ice in the urinals and the indoor phone booth, those don't even exist outdoors anymore. I have not seen what it looks like since the remodel. I used to work in the area but no longer. I left before the change. I am a non drinker as well so I rarely go into bars anymore. It would be nice to go in and see Newt and Joe, they are great guys. Wonder if they still open early? I used to go in for coffee with Uncle Phil, hope he is doing ok too.
How could we have left off Cottoneyed Joes that was down in River Quay?
Cotton eyed Joes, another good one. Couldn't forget to visit the Can Can while you were there...didn't want to leave anyone out.
I went on a dive bar hunt last night and visited Harlings & the place that used to be called the Lava Room. Now it's called The Gusto and it's VERY bright. I miss the Lava Room. =(
Here's a good list of fun dives around the area. The Askew Inn on Independence Ave has always been a fave of mine. There's also the Caddyshack. The Shady Lady is a strip club, yes, but it's also pretty much a dive. I'm a fan of Harlings. Bobby Baker's Lounge in Waldo is a good dive, but it's not as big a dive as Flo's. Tony Farhah's is a good old dive too. Last, but not least, is the Bamboo Hut on 40 Hwy.
Can't we do better than this. I remember a bar called the zoo near the courthouse, several places near KU MED and several places to the outside of the metro. I remember a cute little spinner stripping for a bartenders Bday at a place called the Coppertop that kinda got out of hand. Lets just say I'll never forget it.
Don't forget Helens in NKC.