Favorite KC area food

I like TT... they have awesome burgers, They're a lil small but have great burgers....My friends call'em nugget Burgers lol.... Another great burger stand is Harold's on 1337 admiral boulevard outside of downtown....
Taylor, is Harolds still open? Seems every time I have been by there the last 6 months, the driveway is chained off. I know they had limited hours, but have been wondering..It was one of my favorites for burgers and Shakes...(mmmmm)
I'm pretty sure it's open I haven't been there since the summer...
They close real early like 2 or 3
Town Topic at 2121 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64108, 816-842-2298. A KC "greasy spoon" legend for hamburgers and pie, it has been downtown forever (over 40 years). Everyone should eat there once just to say they did. Originally Posted by BiggestBest
I LOVE Town Topic. It's my favorite stop when I have to drive around my drunk friends. Much better then any fast food place that's open all day like they are.
For steaks I still like the Golden Ox, its still in the same place and the service and food are still good.
For BBQ I like Haywards College and Antioch in OP
  • pun77
  • 02-10-2010, 08:25 PM
For those in the Eastern Metro there is a Hereford House just east of Independence Center, between there and Little Blue Expressway. (19721 East Jackson Drive, Independence)

My personal favorites are Golden Ox (1600 Genessee, Kansas City, MO between 12th Street and Kemper) for steak, Cascone's for Italian (on North Oak as previously posted,) and Tommy's for a variety menu. Tommy's is just off Antioch in Gladstone (6221 North Chestnut Avenue.) If I'm not mistaken, Tommy's is also a Cascone's owned establishment.
  • pun77
  • 02-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. BBQ BBQ BBQ. Can't go wrong with almost any KC BBQ. Aurthur Bryant's, Gate's, Jack Stack, Smokehouse, ......... I love BBQ.

Also, if you're ever out Sedalia way, (if it's still there, I haven't been there in a couple of years) there's a hole in the wall that needs to be on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. It's a seafood dive called LeMaire's Seafood. All you can eat Cajun Catfish with dirty rice, baked beans, slaw, and hush puppies is the specialty, but they have everything imagineable from hamburgers to crawfish and alligator. It's owned and operated by a relocated Cajun. The atmosphere is pretty wild. Particle board walls painted with bayou scenes and adorned with all kinds of memorbilia. 50's, 60's, and 70's Classic Country on the jukebox. The boothes, tables, and chairs are real 50's era. Be sure to use the cajun seasoning (not too spicy) on whatever you order. It's what puts it over the top. It's located on US 65 south of the Fairgrounds on the west side of the street.
  • KCJF1
  • 02-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Tincup stole all my thunder. He and I have exchanged messages in the past and we have identical tastes in massages. It appears that extends to restaurants also.

Another place of interest to add to the mix:

La Bodega
www.labodegakc.com

703 Southwest Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64108-2124

They were doing Spanish style tapas (small plates) before it was trendy here in KC, and have continued to do so. Great atmosphere, great food. It's almost under the I-35 Bridge on SW Blvd.

And for others so inclined to support local places:

http://www.kcoriginals.com/
I personally really enjoy Jack Stack barbeque at 95th and Metcalf. Another place I like to go for a decent steak is actually Texas Roadhouse on 119th and Strangline. I get the cowboy cut sirloin medium rare and have yet to be disappointed. While not the best steak in the area, for the price point, I don't think it can be beat.
+1 on Texas Roadhouse. We don't have as many here as down the I-35 corridor, but a damn good steak at a decent price point, perhaps just a bit better then Longhorn imho...
Burgers - Max's Autodiner. There's still one left on south Wornall.
BBQ - all of them! LOL! But for ambiance, Jack Stack, Martin City.
Cocktail Bar - Manifesto.

My new favorite restaurant is Michael Smiths. The menu changes semi-regularly. The rabbit appetizer currently being offered will knock your socks off!

Diver
Tried the Farmhouse last night. Amazing food, nice trendy "loft" atmosphere, and a decent price.

Thanks for the tip, tincupkc...
Farmhouse is amazing! The scallops and the pork osso buco are remarkable and they have the best hamburger in town. The rabbit turnover appetizer is great too. Also they have some great sandwiches at lunch and a really good Saturday brunch.
Sushi - Matsu's in Westport
Italian - Carmen's Cafe in Brookside (romantic and AWESOME specialty dishes - don't go there and just get fettucini alfredo)
Steak - Morton's I guess... lots of decent steaks around here
Seafood - Mccormick and Schmick's on the Plaza, it's hard to beat the best.
Price Fix - Blue Stem in Westport
Indian - Korma Sutra (fitting for this site?)
BBQ - pulled pork sandwiches at Oklahoma Joe's
Tapas - La Bodega
Burger - Dempsey's Pub in Lawrence, KS

As you can see, I really love food

Can someone recommend a really good authentic Mexican place? I've been to quite a few here and haven't been impressed.

-~A Storybook Divorce ~-
Piropors - most romantic restaraunt in the area.