Why does everything feel so.....

Past downturns would indicate it’s recession-resistant, but how will serious long-term inflation affect it? As long as jobs are plentiful you’ll likely see rates go up, or else women will exit the industry for something more lucrative.

What about stagflation? I was too young to hobby in the 70s to experience that. I would think rates won’t be able to rise at the rate of inflation and there won’t be other sources of income to encourage ladies to bail on sex work.
But is the state of the sex work economy a leading indicator or a trailing indicator?

Seriously, I would think that generally, it would be a recession resistant industry in part because producers have significant pricing flexibility, limited fixed costs, etc. Barriers to entry and exit are low. Originally Posted by TexTushHog

The lack of a barrier to entry is actually what tends to make sex work as a whole a leading indicator as opposed to a trailing indicator. I see the impacts a lot more readily on the camming side of sexwork-- as some ladies that are comfortable on that side aren't willing to suffer the societal stigma of this side.

Pricing flexibility on this side of the industry isn't a draw, either. Most ladies are going to find that there is a definite ceiling for them personally--and most ladies are also not going to drop below a certain price point without other factors at play. When we have inflation-- it disproportionately affects those on a fixed income as well as those on the lower end of the middle class. That disproportionately affects ladies below about $250-300/hr.