Almost Famous....meah...and other popular movies that sucked.

If I could have only one movie with me on a deserted island.

Old Lee Marvin movie Hell In The Pacific.

It was a movie about being stranded on a deserted island.
Like Castaway.

I liked Almost Famous too. I have had a total girl crush on Kate Hudson for years. She is so sweetly sexy.

Most underrated movie for me would have to be Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Most overrated would definitely be Avatar and some of the Marvel Comic movies. Ya some are pretty awesome but some of them just suck.
Biggest hump of shit I can think of was Independance Day.
goonies never gets old
Am I the only one that didn't like the movie Almost Famous??. Originally Posted by bojulay
No, you're not the only one. In fact, other than Jerry Maguire, pretty much everything by Cameron Crowe has been highly overrated self-indulgent drivel. And many would probably argue that Jerry Maguire was much of the same, I just happen to like the pacing and subject matter in that one.

Another film that was highly touted, but greatly disappointing was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

And M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airebender" was a dismal attempt to take the Nickelodeon Avatar series to the big screen.
No, you're not the only one. In fact, other than Jerry Maguire, pretty much everything by Cameron Crowe has been highly overrated self-indulgent drivel. And many would probably argue that Jerry Maguire was much of the same, I just happen to like the pacing and subject matter in that one.

Another film that was highly touted, but greatly disappointing was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

And M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airebender" was a dismal attempt to take the Nickelodeon Avatar series to the big screen. Originally Posted by SoleMan

Yes, exactly. Self-indulgent (Self- absorbed) is a very good description.
A movie about a bunch of traveling Jehovah Witness's would have been more entertaining.

Dead on about "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" also

2hrs of watching people being wired over buildings and I was
ready to commit Hari Kari in the theater bathroom, even though
they were Chinese

And M Night Shyamalan should have his movie making license taken away.
Most overrated horror film. The "SAW" series.

Gack! What a load of tripe. Ok I've set up this contraption
that will blind you so you can learn an important life lesson WTF

Two french horror films that make SAW look like a Nickelodeon Series

Martyrs and Inside.

Only if you want to be disturbed for days.
Attached Images File Type: jpg martyrs_ver2_xlg.jpg (110.3 KB, 101 views) File Type: jpg inside.jpg (127.0 KB, 101 views)
Shawshank redemption, not sure why but I don't like it.
I didn't like Shawshank Redemption either. It was so sickeningly sweet I wanted to puke in my popcorn. Plus I don't care much for Morgan Freeman.

Defining overrated as popular or critically acclaimed, I have to say
* Titanic (1997) was very hard to watch (popular),
* Shawshank was lame & predictable (popular and critically acclaimed)
* Saving Private Ryan - awesome first 15 minutes, then one caricature after another (popular and critically acclaimed)
* Independence Day - gag, gag, gag some more (popular)
* That stupid M Night Shamlayan movie with Mel Gibson about the aliens that are allergic to water sucked about as bad as a movie can suck (popular)
* Braveheart (used to like it, now I can't watch it because of the M Night Shamalayan movie that exposed Mel Gibson as a shitty actor, yes, ruined me on Mel Gibson movies except the first Mad Max) (popular and critically acclaimed)
* West Side Story - so incredibly overrated - best picture? I love musicals, especially old Hollywood musicals and I hated West Side Story. I don't understand the attraction. (popular and critically acclaimed)
Shawshank redemption, not sure why but I don't like it. Originally Posted by elcalifa

That is because it was a big Tim Robbins liberal love fest, where every
prison inmate was just a misunderstood noble gentleman in disguise.

And every prison official was a true criminal.

Load of liberal schlock.
More telling about Tim Robbins mentality than anything else.

Other than that it was a pretty good movie, had it's moments.

Papillon, now there was a prison movie.
Best Disaster Movie.

The Poseidon Adventure.
(The Original Film)

Gene Hackman's every man character in that movie is without a peer.
Yeah, exactly what I thought.

Watch it for the first time a little while back and it was a dullerd. Originally Posted by bojulay
it was above your IQ. you couldn't understand if Arthur C Clarke and Kubrick tried to explain it to you. twice.

2001:A Space Odyssey was...over...fricken...rated. Stanley Kubrick kinda lived in his own little world where there were 3 ways to make a movie: his way, his way, his way.

I'm sorry but a half hour of heavy breathing in an astronaut suit talking to a red dayglo button was...dull. The visuals were great for back then but geez...have a little ACTION. Originally Posted by Prolongus
it wasn't an action film. guess you didn't get the memo.
[QUOTE=The_Waco_Kid;1055229004]it was above your IQ. you couldn't understand if Arthur C Clarke and Kubrick tried to explain it to you. twice.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you like anything that has some dude in it
heavy breathing for a couple hours.

Do you and HAL 9000 keep in touch??
You're a daisy if you do.

You went full Shawshank Unredeemed, you never go full Shawshank Unredeemed.

Anyway, don't you have some street to J-walk somewhere or something?

When man or machine becomes self aware they both have the potential for rationalizing
violence, and self preservation will always become paramount, yada, yada, yada.
Wake me when it is over.

Clark and Kubrick were both boring.
Just saw this thread.

It's a good 'un.

Really liked Almost Famous, and liked it on multiple levels. Identified partly with the kid writer and partly with the band, having done a lil' of both. Both came off as believable in a "if everything falls just right" kind of way.

Wildly popular movies that I don't dig (and this is flat out blasphemy to a lot of folks in my age range, since almost every last one of us saw these flicks multiple times -- not necessarily because we liked 'em, but because it became a "thing to do" since they were in the theaters for entire summers): ALL of the first generation Star Wars movies. Toilet paper thin plot lines with mostly unimportant actors and/or actors whose best days were way behind them. Note the "mostly" there, so no need to defend Mr. Ford, who, despite the billions and billions of box office dollars that his flicks have earned, is still one of the more underrated actors in the world, imho. Dude has some acting chops. But Star Wars sucks.
it was above your IQ. you couldn't understand if Arthur C Clarke and Kubrick tried to explain it to you. twice.

it wasn't an action film. guess you didn't get the memo. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Even dumber, they made a sequel. A real sleeper.
They re-released 2001 about ten years after the original debut. So I went to see it. About a fourth of the audience went to other shows and a few people went to sleep. But hey, we can't all be expected to get the memo.