ASPD Fallout

• npita
  • 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
This site has borrowed a lot from aspd in format. I am not an atty, but even a civilian can see an obvious infringement of copyright in the design, format... Originally Posted by randyrogue
IANAL, but my guess is that infringement is anything but obvious. For example, here is a link to an attorney who discusses the issue in general terms:

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/feel.html

I would also guess that the fact that eccie has been up for almost a year with the knowledge of aspd's owner and without receiving any sort of notice of infringement would be a factor.
Looks like plenty of people are simple enough to give them money...

http://www.eraps.net/1753.html
Hope they get their site up, and the people who donated are left feeling good about it.
Been out of town for the past ten days and no access. Come back in box full and ASPD will be no more. Got several emails about the new site and asked to make a donation. Not sure when that started. But, I can't really believe that 5600 have already pledged.

Thanks to those that sent this site to me. Looks great around here.

Start the new year and decade off FRESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When is ASPD going to be shut down. I thought that was going to happen today.
But, I can't really believe that 5600 have already pledged.

!!!!!!!!!!! Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
Keyword is "pledged"
  • GP
  • 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I am going to pledge [Dr.Evil-voice] 1 BILLION DOLLARS [/Dr.Evil-voice]
When is ASPD going to be shut down. I thought that was going to happen today. Originally Posted by Ansley
I was wondering the same thing - who'd have thought they might be inaccurate in their statements! 'Train wreck' is too mild a metaphor for what is happening over at ASPD.
In all fairness they seem to want to continue what their sister and friend had in mind when the board first started; throw into the mix grief and clearly a complicated legal situation and it becomes a major challenge to think through all the implications that actions may have. It becomes more difficult if there is a vision in mind that is so focused that it is unchangeable. Who knows eraps could do well if they manage to get it up soon, stranger things have happened. Originally Posted by discreetgent

Wish them the best of luck but I see problems 1. New site database a copy of a site in probate. 2. Tax on the free money given for the new site startup. Would have been may be better to sell stock like an IPO.

This site has borrowed a lot from aspd in format.
I am not an atty, but even a civilian can see an obvious infringement of copyright in the design, format, and especially in using certain names (ASPD, and the recently deceased founder) in one of the forums. I do not advocate conflict. But the founders of this site should not be surprised if the aspd owners' family protects its interest the same way Disney protested the 'borrowing' or other unauthorized use of Mickey's image (and others). Just something to consider. A way to avoid that might be to approach them with an offer of acknowledgment or other compensation by which to acquire their formal permission or acquiesence to this site's design and format. Originally Posted by randyrogue
ASPD looked like a lot of sites.
I don't see the likeness, still learning my way around here.
Then ASPD would have to come out of probate and then the new owner, if sold like any other asset, would have to spend the bucks to prove the likeness. I just don't see it?
I was wondering the same thing - who'd have thought they might be inaccurate in their statements! 'Train wreck' is too mild a metaphor for what is happening over at ASPD. Originally Posted by Fuggum
My guess is that their competitors funded them for an extra week figuring that the best business development strategy was to let Amber's family alienate a few more people before starting their new web site. Two weeks would have been an even better investment.
Based on posts by the owner/operators of ASPD they lack the technical skills to set up and operate the site. If they were planning to pay for all of the development and hire administrator(s) they could run up a lot of dollars quickly Originally Posted by terbul

Unfortunately, I that's exactly where they are. I bet they're trying to outsource everything and in that case they will rack up a $10K right off the bat. I would say that's OK except for the fact that myself and others tried to help for free and were ignored for whatever reason. That's just plain crazy and bad business. C'est la vie. As long as Angelina's here, I'm just fine with this being my new home.
  • WTF
  • 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Keyword is "pledged" Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I can say with a straight face and a lose zipper that those God's and Goddesses who pledged are good as gold as far as their word goes! In fact one has a gold plated weenie!
Amazes me their still getting money from victims
Victims of stupidity. lol
Well, apparently ASPD is down. WTF, you'll be glad to know that I got the last post in on the HDH board.