Why Does President Obama Do This?

• Doove
  • 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Odumbo purposefully selected a bowdlerized version which reflected his, Odumbo's, predilection to omit and exclude any and all references to a Supreme Being in historical U.S. documents; Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Apparently you missed the part where

Apparently you missed the part where Originally Posted by Doove
Apparently you missed the part where

THE HEROES OF JULY.; A Solemn and Imposing Event. Dedication of the National Cemetery at Gettysburgh. IMMENSE NUMBERS OF VISITORS. Oration by Hon. Edward Everett--Speeches of President Lincoln, Mr. Seward and Governor Seymour. THE PROGRAMME SUCCESSFULLY CARRIED OUT.

Published: November 20, 1863

PRESIDENT LINCOLN's ADDRESS.

The President then delivered the following dedicatory speech:

Fourscore and seven years ago our Fathers brought forth upon this Continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. [Applause.] Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We are met to dedicate a portion of it as the final resting-place of those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense we cannot dedicate. We cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it far above our power to add or detract. [Applause.] The world will little note nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. [Applause.] It is for us, the living, rather to be dedicated here to the refinished work that they have thus so far nobly carried on. [Applause.] It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion; that we here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain; [applause] that the Nation shall under God have a new birth of freedom, and that Governments of the people, by the people and for the people, shall not perish from the earth, [Long continued applause.]

Three cheers were then given for the President and the Governors of the States.

After the delivery of the addresses, the dirge and the benediction closed the exercises, and the immense assemblage separated at about 4 o'clock.

http://www.nytimes.com/1863/11/20/ne...l?pagewanted=2
  • Doove
  • 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
My point rebuts your point.

Your point simply makes my point necessary.

Note the difference.
My point rebuts your point.

Your point simply makes my point necessary.

Note the difference. Originally Posted by Doove
The notable "difference" is, Doofus, that Odumbo purposefully selected a bowdlerized version which reflected his, Odumbo's, predilection to omit and exclude any and all references to a Supreme Being in historical U.S. documents; hence, a version of the speech that differed significantly from the speech delivered by Mr. Lincoln that day in 1863 at Gettysburg -- the speech and day Odumbo was supposed to be commemorating, Doofus.
The notable "difference" is, Doofus, that Odumbo purposefully selected a bowdlerized version which reflected his, Odumbo's, predilection to omit and exclude any and all references to a Supreme Being in historical U.S. documents; hence, a version of the speech that differed significantly from the speech delivered by Mr. Lincoln that day in 1863 at Gettysburg -- the speech and day Odumbo was supposed to be commemorating, Doofus. Originally Posted by I B Hankering

BOWDLERIZED!

PREDILECTION!

THAT!

DOOFUS!

Such grown up words, Corpy! You must have been in the bathroom jerking off with your Merriam-Webster's again!

Why don't you look up "coprophilia!"
The notable "difference" is, Doofus, that Odumbo purposefully selected a bowdlerized version which reflected his, Odumbo's, predilection to omit and exclude any and all references to a Supreme Being in historical U.S. documents; hence, a version of the speech that differed significantly from the speech delivered by Mr. Lincoln that day in 1863 at Gettysburg -- the speech and day Odumbo was supposed to be commemorating, Doofus. Originally Posted by I B Hankering

BOWDLERIZED!

PREDILECTION!

THAT!

DOOFUS!

Such grown up words, IBIdiot! You must have been in the bathroom jerking off with your Merriam-Webster's again!

Why don't you look up "coprophrasia!"
oh brother, here we go again ...

who in the hell left the asylum gate open? Originally Posted by CJ7
Yeah, how do you respond to someone who is so stupid and consumed with hatred of our President that they say dumb fucking shit like this? The answer is, you can't. They're nuts. You just have to accept it. They're like the House Republicans....just bat-shit crazy.
What's wrong with simply reciting what Lincoln actually said? He gave the speech once. If there are other "versions" then Lincoln rejected those in favor of the one he used. There is only one version of the Gettysburg Address. The one Lincoln gave. The others are rejected drafts. Why would the President choose (Ken Burns asking him is bullshit) a version Lincoln rejected?

Odd . . . Interesting . . .
  • Doove
  • 11-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Clearly you people are too chicken-shit to read the link.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/41

Only five manuscript copies of the Gettysburg Address exist. Two of them, the “Nicolay Copy” and the “Hay Copy,” are in the Library of Congress. The third, the “Everett Copy,” is at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill. The fourth, the “Bancroft Copy,” is at Cornell University. The fifth copy, the “Bliss Copy,” is in the Lincoln Bedroom in the White House.

The “Nicolay Copy” is often called the “first draft” because it is believed to be the earliest of the copies that exist of the Gettysburg Address. The “Hay” or “second draft” version was probably made by Lincoln shortly after his return from Gettysburg. Its phrasing more closely matches contemporaneous accounts of the speech than that of the “Nicolay” or “first draft” version.

Sidenote: And neither version includes the wording "under God". The first version to actually include the words "under God"...

The other three known manuscript copies of the Gettysburg Address were written by Lincoln for charitable purposes well after the Nov. 19, 1863, event. (emphasis mine) The “Everett Copy” was written for Edward Everett, the orator who spoke for two hours at Gettysburg, immediately prior to Lincoln’s Address at the dedication of Soldiers’ National Cemetery.

The fact that he was requested to, and read, one of the versions THAT ARE IN THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, and the outrage over it, is odd, interesting indeed COG.
Clearly you people are too chicken-shit to read the link.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/41

Only five manuscript copies of the Gettysburg Address exist. Two of them, the “Nicolay Copy” and the “Hay Copy,” are in the Library of Congress. The third, the “Everett Copy,” is at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill. The fourth, the “Bancroft Copy,” is at Cornell University. The fifth copy, the “Bliss Copy,” is in the Lincoln Bedroom in the White House.

The “Nicolay Copy” is often called the “first draft” because it is believed to be the earliest of the copies that exist of the Gettysburg Address. The “Hay” or “second draft” version was probably made by Lincoln shortly after his return from Gettysburg. Its phrasing more closely matches contemporaneous accounts of the speech than that of the “Nicolay” or “first draft” version.

Sidenote: And neither version includes the wording "under God". The first version to actually include the words "under God"...

The other three known manuscript copies of the Gettysburg Address were written by Lincoln for charitable purposes well after the Nov. 19, 1863, event. (emphasis mine) The “Everett Copy” was written for Edward Everett, the orator who spoke for two hours at Gettysburg, immediately prior to Lincoln’s Address at the dedication of Soldiers’ National Cemetery.

The fact that he was requested to, and read, one of the versions THAT ARE IN THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, and the outrage over it, is odd, interesting indeed COG. Originally Posted by Doove
Explanation accepted, but Odumbo's political astuteness should be questioned. Or is Odumbo's arrogance the explanation for the way he chose -- by allowing someone else to choose -- to honor the sesquitennial of the Gettysburg Address with an address other than the one Mr. Lincoln recited?
And then we have this.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...sburg-address/

The major news organizations of the time, who had reporters on the ground, reported the speech with the " under God" reference.

The important thing here is not how various versions were written, but what President Lincoln actually said.

Of course, we can all say that the reporters of the time got it wrong, and without the modern trappings of today's media, many might even believe that to be a valid argument.

But the fact remains that the version that every body else gave in the Ken Burns piece included the in God reference, and the final version actually signed by President Lincoln contained it it, and the reporters of the time reported the speech as such, would be more than enough reason to recite the speech in that manner.
  • Doove
  • 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
But the fact remains that the version that every body else gave in the Ken Burns piece included the in God reference, and the final version actually signed by President Lincoln contained it it, and the reporters of the time reported the speech as such, would be more than enough reason to recite the speech in that manner. Originally Posted by Jackie S
If you truly care about this, then you really do need to shut it when you spout off the "you'll defend Obama no matter what he does" crap.
The fact that he was requested to, and read, one of the versions THAT ARE IN THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, and the outrage over it, is odd, interesting indeed COG. Originally Posted by Doove
I'm not outraged. I don't give a rat's ass what Emperor Obama says, what he does or where he goes. And I don't give a damn about honoring Lincoln. I just think it's silly to recite a speech he didn't use on a day, or program designed to honor what he actually said.

But he can recite what he wants. I'm not going to listen to it. I was just, sayin'.
  • CJ7
  • 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm not outraged. I don't give a rat's ass what Emperor Obama says, what he does or where he goes. And I don't give a damn about honoring Lincoln. I just think it's silly to recite a speech he didn't use on a day, or program designed to honor what he actually said.

But he can recite what he wants. I'm not going to listen to it. I was just, sayin'. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

save me a seat in the I don't fucking care auditorium ... front row, center section
Do all five versions have "Baptized in blood" phrase in them? Did Obama say it?