Text messages suck (the bad way)

I prefer to email up until they're calling for directions. It means I have my calendar up and can easily check whatever references they have. Plus, I can check my email on my real phone and so I always have access to it and am able to respond faster, unlike my hobby phone which i can only whip out if I'm by myself

For me, the only nice thing about texting is that I can click on their number instead of having to find pen and paper to write down whatever they said and hope I got the spelling right. Also, I do prefer that they email or text the address because I can click on it and it will send my phone into navigation mode instead of having to type it in. However, I always just follow their lead except I don't give out my number until a meeting is planned to avoid having to try to schedule an appointment while my boss is over my shoulder. Especially when he knows that I live in a very different area than the directions I'm giving.

I think the most important thing about all of this is just to ask. You can't go wrong if they've told you what their preference is.
My biggest gripe with texts is sometimes there is a huge time lag when the OP txts and when you receive it. I've gotten txts that were sent a day earlier. Really hard to schedule when you're up against that. I have Verizon, and it seems to have big issues with Cricket, whose txt delay is a minimum of 20mins from being sent.
I've wondered about this. If you buy a refill card at e.g. Target, does it really matter if you use cash or credit? How could they trace it back to you? Originally Posted by blenderhead
certainly. using a debit or credit card ties in Target's database who paid for that specific refill card (as they all are serial numbered - remember you type in the access code to "refill" your phone) and correlates to a specific sale. that sale is tied to the payment method - your CC or Debit Card.

but then again, cash isn't as safe as you think it is. with all of the security cameras inside a Wal-Mart, even if you paid cash, not like the cameras didn't catch your face walking around the store, nor did the cameras in the parking lot get you coming and going to your car which has a license plate on it.

nothing is really complete anonymous anymore. while i agree nobody is going to waste a huge amount of resources chasing this unless it is tied to a major incident, it is just food for thought.
certainly. using a debit or credit card ties in Target's database who paid for that specific refill card (as they all are serial numbered - remember you type in the access code to "refill" your phone) and correlates to a specific sale. that sale is tied to the payment method - your CC or Debit Card. Originally Posted by John_TX
The cards have unique access codes, but I don't know if they have unique bar codes. There may just be one bar code that is slapped on all the 60 minute cards, just like two boxes of plastic forks have the same bar code. Your credit card may be linked to the purchase of a card, but if the bar code isn't unique they can't tell which access code was on the card you bought. If they can't do that, I doubt they could use the fact that you bought a card as evidence in court.
  • Paven
  • 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
I am not a fan of texting, but I don't even have a cell phone lol.
I make 97% of my appointments through email and am usually quick to
reply, anyone whose corresponded with me knows that. I'd rather
hear someones voice, their tone and laughter and yes it's much quicker
and cheaper to call than text. I do understand that folks need to text because of the
environment that their in ie: home, or work, to be more discrete but
just to "talk" all the time that way is very impersonal. It seems that
the younger people who communicate this way all the time might
have some issues later on socially not understanding how to carry
on a "real" conversation.
So when one of my clients asks me to set up something with "girl A", and "girl A" will not answer her phone and ONLY communicate with TEXT msgs, I'm like "never mind this chick". I'm talking about a girl whom I have never even met or talked to on the phone EVER! But she won't actually talk to me so I can get a feel of her voice. Talking to a person on the phone is the BEST way you can possibly screen.

YES, new providers that I have never met have to be screened too, just like new clients. Reviews only mean so much, especially with all the false reviews and white knights these days.

Girls that I know or have at least met, I'm ok with texting only, but I will never let a valued client of mine see a girl that won't even have ONE phone conversation with me.
I don't use or plan to use texting for the simple reason there's NO way to keep it private. Call me or meet me someplace and we'll talk about it. Send a text and I'll ignore it. The personal and economic value of time enters into it, too.
Texting, voice caling, video conferencing, email... mailing letters or flying messages on a blimp; just a means to an end: communication.

I like text msg since I can multitask and reply when it's convenient for me. Also, it allows time to think about what i'll text.

Like Sophia mentioned, if you're real busy or engaged in an important meeting, the phone should be on silent mode.
Like Sofa's response, for certain topics, I rather talk over the phone like directions. However, texting the address works since I can google map it on my phone.
Voice is can be a soft screen for both provider and client.

Text is great for getting your point across quickly and allowing the recepient time to respond.
For real time communication, voice is the best.

Some frustrations come from the inefficient application of one of these communication tools. Using text to replace a voice conversation when there's either a lot of questions or points in discussion is pretty ineffective.
Also, tones are difficult to sense in text or email when compared to voice.
The cards have unique access codes, but I don't know if they have unique bar codes. There may just be one bar code that is slapped on all the 60 minute cards, just like two boxes of plastic forks have the same bar code. Your credit card may be linked to the purchase of a card, but if the bar code isn't unique they can't tell which access code was on the card you bought. If they can't do that, I doubt they could use the fact that you bought a card as evidence in court. Originally Posted by blenderhead
I'm pretty sure that all the info is recorded. There are electronic records that say that credit card 5104 1234 5678 9012 purchased airtime card 1234 ABC56 at 12:34 PM on January 2, 2010 at the Target store on 1234 Main street at register 12. Then there's a record that airtime card 1234ABC56 was added to cell phone 512-555-1234.

I don't know how easy it is to put all the info together, but I bet it's not hard.

The airtime cards are worthless until they are activated by paying for them at the cash register. If you steal one of them off the rack, it won't do anything. When you buy one, you'll notice that the clerk has to swipe the card's mag strip through their register. They don't just scan it with the barcode scanner. To me, this implies that the purchase is linked to that unique card and access code, not just the generic UPC for that kind of card.

I believe the strip contains the access code. The cell phone's companies computers keep track of info that airtime card 1234ABC56 has $25 balance and holds on to that until you put that money on a cell phone account. Some of them even link the card to your phone where you can then add money to the card later and it will instantly add time to your phone without you having to do anything.

As to using the evidence in court, I don't see any problem. I'd think they'd be able to say Joe Hobby's credit card was used to purchase an airtime card at this time and place. That card was used on this certain cell phone. That cell phone was used to make a certain phone call. Maybe even "Here's the store camera footage of Joe standing at the register or leaving the store."

Then, of course, even if they can't use the info in court, it can be used to track you down, and then they can come up with evidence that can be used in court.

And remember that the standard to get a search warrant or other investigative legal procedures is often much lower than the standard to introduce the evidence in court.
I guess I'm in the old fashioned catagory. I don't know how to put spaces in the words so about all I can say back is yes, no or OK. So I just end up calling back.

I depend on voices over the phone for the vibes. I will not make an appt w/o talking by phone once beforehand. It is just much more friendly and yes you get the emotion, and for me it starts the anticipation.
The airtime cards are worthless until they are activated by paying for them at the cash register. If you steal one of them off the rack, it won't do anything. When you buy one, you'll notice that the clerk has to swipe the card's mag strip through their register. They don't just scan it with the barcode scanner. To me, this implies that the purchase is linked to that unique card and access code, not just the generic UPC for that kind of card. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Are you sure about that? I would think that would just be for deactivating the alarm. It seems unlikely that all POS systems for all stores that sell these cards are linked to every system for the companies that make the cards. To add airtime minutes to your phone you just enter a code on that card, and the store can't activate a text code by swiping it through anything unless the store is somehow communicating with the phone company's systems.

I haven't tried, but my guess is that if you steal a card, it will work just fine. Otherwise why does Walmart have them locked up?
Text and email are all good.

Text me your incall address, and that makes it easy for me to cut and paste that into my GPS.

My initial text of "avial @ 4pm today ?" also gets the job done.

But for a 1st time client, email/PM is best because you have to send in references and what not.

All that said, I AGREE w/ SOFAKING. There are those numerous occasions when the email/text back and forth for 45 mins can be easily avoided by a 30 second phone call.

For example:
initial from me : avail today for hour incall at 4pm ?
response from lady : can do 4:30 - 5:30pm.
reply by me : same inclall location as last time ?
response from lasdy: remind me where the incall was ?

You get the picture. Text me back on my initial something like "May I call to iron out the details ?", and let's both save each other the agony of the back and forth. In such instances, a 30 second phone conversation condenses the scheduling logistics to just that - 30 seconds.

My 2 cents.
^if you assume that you'll connect on the first phone call. But I find that's generally not the case. Providers and clients often don't answer a ringing phone. Doubly true for unrecognized phone numbers.

I like pm's and email.
Are you sure about that? I would think that would just be for deactivating the alarm. It seems unlikely that all POS systems for all stores that sell these cards are linked to every system for the companies that make the cards. To add airtime minutes to your phone you just enter a code on that card, and the store can't activate a text code by swiping it through anything unless the store is somehow communicating with the phone company's systems.

I haven't tried, but my guess is that if you steal a card, it will work just fine. Otherwise why does Walmart have them locked up? Originally Posted by blenderhead
Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and 7-11 have them hanging out in the open in many stores. Maybe some stores got tired of theft of useless cards, or maybe there are a few cards that are actually preloaded and kept locked up, but I think that's rare. Most of the cards say something to the effect of "Card has no value until activated at cash register." Circle K doesn't give you a card, they simply print a receipt with the activation info.

There are also cards that are "refillable" and cards that will take a variable amount of money.

The alarm idea makes no sense. If there was an RFID tag in the card, all you'd have to do is scratch off the silver ink and record the numbers in the store. Or simply use the card in the store to put the minutes on your card. By the way, always check any such card you buy to be sure it hasn't been scratched off before you buy it. There's a scam where someone scratches off the number, and then keeps checking until someone activates it, then they steal the money from the account.

There may be some smaller stores that don't have the POS systems to activate cards and they may have "preactivated" cards.

High tech cash register systems are getting very popular. It's apparently a high margin business and lots of small stores are doing a lot of money transfers, phone cards, wireless airtime, online video game subscriptions, itunes, restaurant or big box gift cards, etc. There are some third party companies that will set mom and pop stores up with systems to sell this kind of stuff. They might even do it for free and take a cut if the volume is high enough.
Damn, that sounded way angry. I guess it's safe to say that I am not a very big fan of text-messaging at fucking all. Originally Posted by SofaKingFun
SFKF, that didn't sound angry to me, it sounded HOT. I will be sure to text you every day for the rest of your life just to arouse that kind of passion... Ummmmm!

Now, back to the subject... It's difficult for me to call or answer a call and politely say, "Hello, how are you doing? I'm fine... oh ha ha ha, yes that's a funny one. Can I help you with something? Oh you just called to chat... Oh..."

I mean I understand where you guys are coming from, but understand where we come from too. Just think of all the lovely phone calls we get to screen where the only way you know someone is on the line is the deep breathing you hear and then the final release!!!

I am in the process of changing my contact form on my website to address such a subject by having the requestor state their prefered form of communication... thoughts?