Backyard BBQ

which types of cheese do you smoke? I know Gouda's are good, -I love BBQ and Cheese. I thought for cheese you had to be really low on temp, like below 130 or less. I have a pittmaster pellet smoker. It's ok, but will blow ash around sometimes. It's great for pork butt, shoulders. ribs or any chops.

I also have a super hot "Otto Wilde" brand top fired broiler. Talk about high power and heat. 1500 degrees. great for burgers / steaks and almost anything you put under a salamander type of broiler. You CANNOT walk away from it though. 1" steak is done in 3 mins/ 1.5 per side or so. Originally Posted by eyecu2
Sante Fe, a restaurant in Hilton Head uses broilers like that. I order their ribeye when I’m there. Sit at the bar and watch them pop the steak in. Done in no time. Thick cuts too. They’re excellent.
which types of cheese do you smoke? I know Gouda's are good, -I love BBQ and Cheese. I thought for cheese you had to be really low on temp, like below 130 or less. I have a pittmaster pellet smoker. It's ok, but will blow ash around sometimes. It's great for pork butt, shoulders. ribs or any chops.

I also have a super hot "Otto Wilde" brand top fired broiler. Talk about high power and heat. 1500 degrees. great for burgers / steaks and almost anything you put under a salamander type of broiler. You CANNOT walk away from it though. 1" steak is done in 3 mins/ 1.5 per side or so. Originally Posted by eyecu2
Mozzarella
Provolone
Cheddar
Pepperjack
Colby Jack
Gruyere
Gouda
Swiss

I keep it under 70 degrees, so cold weather or chilly evenings or mornings. Use a smoker maze lit on both ends to maximize smoke but minimize heat. Looking for 90 min to 3hrs depending on the cheese.
Mozzarella
Provolone
Cheddar
Pepperjack
Colby Jack
Gruyere
Gouda
Swiss

I keep it under 70 degrees, so cold weather or chilly evenings or mornings. Use a smoker maze lit on both ends to maximize smoke but minimize heat. Looking for 90 min to 3hrs depending on the cheese. Originally Posted by HDGristle
fuck you HD....now I'm hungry. LOL
Sante Fe, a restaurant in Hilton Head uses broilers like that. I order their ribeye when I’m there. Sit at the bar and watch them pop the steak in. Done in no time. Thick cuts too. They’re excellent. Originally Posted by bambino
Bam- The sear crust on them (maillard effect) will make even a non choice steak taste awesome and choice is really good enough for most types on this type of grill. Prime and Wagyu cuts actually have too much fat on them, and will not be as well appreciated. as they will flare a little more, (still terrific) but I normally cook those on a flat iron, and finish either on the stove or on my other grills. THe marbling melting out and creating that delish flavor......and yeah..now I'm starving for some terrific steak! Only thing I've not cooked on the high temp one is fish; I think it would be just too much heat cause it to flake out before it's really done. I made some Ahi tuna steaks the other day on my weber kettle and it's was fuckin terrific.
Bam- The sear crust on them (maillard effect) will make even a non choice steak taste awesome and choice is really good enough for most types on this type of grill. Prime and Wagyu cuts actually have too much fat on them, and will not be as well appreciated. as they will flare a little more, (still terrific) but I normally cook those on a flat iron, and finish either on the stove or on my other grills. THe marbling melting out and creating that delish flavor......and yeah..now I'm starving for some terrific steak! Only thing I've not cooked on the high temp one is fish; I think it would be just too much heat cause it to flake out before it's really done. I made some Ahi tuna steaks the other day on my weber kettle and it's was fuckin terrific. Originally Posted by eyecu2

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/crea...ander-broiler/
fuck you HD....now I'm hungry. LOL Originally Posted by eyecu2
Today is definitely not a day to smoke cheese. Hot asf out here
https://www.bluestarcooking.com/crea...ander-broiler/ Originally Posted by bambino
BlueStar products are awesome - I have a full BlueStar professional range that has the same capability 1850 degree infrared broiler in
BlueStar products are awesome - I have a full BlueStar professional range that has the same capability 1850 degree infrared broiler in Originally Posted by berryberry
Have an eye on them. When my wife parts with her ridiculous electric oven, I bring a BlueStar home.
Back on topic. What are some of your favorite cuts for hot and fast vs low and slow?

What are some creative ways you increase your yields or use your bbq to maximize the utility from a cook?
I usually don’t cook anything fast anymore, even burgers. I’ll smoke them at low temp on the Treager, 250, and then sear them on the Weber. Same with steaks. All my cooks last at least 45 minutes.
Ok, since the meat master, Mr Gristle, wouldn't bump this thread, I will. He seems to enjoy it when I bump his threads. I smoke cuts all year, but the Q season in the Burgh starts around now. While Mr Gristle glows about brisket, I don’t particularly care for the flat. The point is where it’s at. Burnt ends. But I consider plate beef ribs( Dinosaur ribs) the holy grail of BBQ. You’ll never find them at your local grocery store. Usually local butcher shops like Fridays in Bellevue area will cut them for you. I usually smoke them a couple times a year on special occasions. I order them from Snake River Farms. It’s Waygu beef. About $150 a rack. Around 8Lbs.

They’re easy to cook. You don’t have to wrap them, just a spritz every couple of hours. Kosher salt and course black pepper is all you need to season them. Just let them go at 275 degrees until they hit around 200 degrees internal. It’s best to just probe them. If the probe goes in like butter they’re done. There’s really nothing like them.

Here’s a link to SRF

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAQ0Qx6BAgFEAE

Their Waygu brisket is a fairly good deal too. Everything else is pricey.

A quick video from Aaron Franklin on how to smoke them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_X...IgYmVlZiByaWJz
I got this for $200 as a defective return from a contractor supply in 2019. https://www.bbqguys.com/saber/premiu...rill-r67sb0317

None of the orfices were drilled. I had it fixed in like 20 minutes with a some googling and a drill press. Built a little outdoor kitchen around it on back porch and have used it nearly every day since. The kitchen stove rarely gets used, pretty much just baking and holidays.

I would definitely recommend Saber if you’re looking for a nice drop in grill.

(cue the homoerotic orifice drilling tripe)
I got this for $200 as a defective return from a contractor supply in 2019. https://www.bbqguys.com/saber/premiu...rill-r67sb0317

None of the orfices were drilled. I had it fixed in like 20 minutes with a some googling and a drill press. Built a little outdoor kitchen around it on back porch and have used it nearly every day since. The kitchen stove rarely gets used, pretty much just baking and holidays.

I would definitely recommend Saber if you’re looking for a nice drop in grill. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
Looks like you found yourself a great deal.
So, basically you're smoking your beef ribs like I smoke my briskets and beef ribs. Just 30-50 degrees higher.

Good to know, Bam.

Still using that Traeger? Ever get a Joe?
Looks like you found yourself a great deal. Originally Posted by bambino
You would think, but then she called the granite guy.