Giving it up for GOOD!

[Fools rush in where wise men fear to go]

I've not had to deal with it myself and I'm certainly no expert, but I've worked enough with experts in the recovery community to be fairly confident of two things. First, alcoholism is a disease, no more a sign of weakness or moral failing than is cancer. Second, fixing it (stopping) will be very, very hard, likely harder than you realize now.

Because it's not caused by personal weakness, strength and willpower -- while helpful -- are likely not enough to fix it, any more than they would be enough to cure cancer. (By comparison, you can smoke one or two cigarettes a month without reverting to smoking two packs a day; doesn't work that way with alcoholism.) Committing yourself publicly may not help much either. Support from friends and family? Also helpful; also not enough.

However you approach it, it's likely to be a long, hard slog. And you may experience failure many times before you succeed. But keep at it, and good luck.

Again, I'm certainly not criticizing. It took me several tries to quit smoking (what worked for me is likely not transferrable to others), there are still a couple of other self-destructive behaviors I need to address, and none of mine are anywhere near as tough to beat as alcoholism. So you're way ahead of me.
Traci, congrats on making the decision to improve your life and your health. I know it is hard from my own experiences with family members, but you can do it cause I believe your are a strong woman and determined as well.

All the best.
Traci, it can be the hardest and best decision you will make. That is to take care of yourself. To some that sounds selfish, but it is important for you to know you are worth all the work it make take. Once you have your eye on the reason that brought you to this decision, IMHO you have all the strength you need. I had 15 years and am dealing with a weak moment in the last few months. I had to go back to the reason I quit cold turkey, once I had sight of it again I was back.

Suround yourself with positive people and let the other go is the best advice I would give anyone. I can give you a suggestion of a AA group that will be non judgemental, I think the principles are sound and can be used by most anyone. I have not met you but anyone willing to make this public step is awesome. I look forward to meeting you.
i love drinking! but it can be toxic, more power to you traci cause i know i couldnt do it!
way to go babe!
Recently My ATF client, took the very step you are taking. I felt quite honored that he chose to share the information with me. I know it was difficult but a realization for him and what he wants for his life. And I respect him now more than ever. And there was a lot of respect before.

It takes great courage, amazing spirit and true GUTS to come onto a public board and post this. I respect you for this as most of us would be to embarrassed or shy. From reading responses it looks like you have a quite a few people who you could reach out to and knowing the eccie crowd I am quite confident you have PM's in your box from people who do not not publicly post but definitely read and respond. As I read in one of the responses, if you do happen to fall of the horse. Get up, dust your butt off and get back on. Do not waste one minute now or ever beating yourself up. The future is yours my friend and make it the most amazing future you can dream. For YOU!
  • S-Man
  • 03-12-2011, 11:59 PM
From what I heard about AA, if you are spiritual but not religious, you can still have success in the program.
I wish the best for you girl.
I want to say to all of you that I am NOT a weak person, I have battled addiction before, and won, and I WILL win this time as well.

Now that I have seen it, it WILL be taken care of. You ladies and gents are truly awesome and a blessing to me and everyone around you. xoxo Originally Posted by tracibrooks
Traci, HUGS to you! Doing this to make your life better makes you a strong female! You bet you will this one too, stay strong!
Hugs and Kisses,
Maria of DFW

No, not that, you pervs. :P

I've had trouble admitting it, especially to myself, and even now. But I know it's true. I'm an alcoholic. I didn't even realize it till recently, but, alas, it is so. So, now that I've realized, and admitted it, I'm giving it up. Unfortunately, I don't pass the religious requirements for AA, so I'm going it alone. I've already given up smoking, so how much harder can it be? (Don't answer that....) I was in chat earlier, and told everyone in there that I was giving it up (though I kinda glazed over why) and the words of encouragement were really really uplifting and helpful. Soooo... if you come see me... perhaps chocolates or a candle in place of wine?

Any encouragement, helpful advice if you've done it, etc. is greatly appreciated. Some might call this airing dirty laundry, and maybe so, but I really feel like I needed to get it out somewhere. Thanks, y'all. Originally Posted by tracibrooks

CONGRATS. GOOD LUCK.
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the support, both public and private. You're all pretty awesome.

xoxo
I've had trouble admitting it, especially to myself, and even now. I'm an alcoholic. I didn't even realize it till recently, but, alas, it is so. Originally Posted by tracibrooks
Traci,

Congratulations on making this admission. Most will never achieve that self-reflection necessary to get better.

I hope you can find somebody who has beaten alcoholism to confide in, and most of all, listen. I believe that is the most important piece of what programs like AA provide.

Although I have some very intense experience with alcoholism in those who were very close to me, and who never admitted it - I've never recognized myself having a problem as do I enjoy a beverage now and then.

Good luck with this journey.
Traci,

I could not be more proud of you for posting and being strong. When you are not strong, there are many here that will be there for you, myself included.

Do not forget that or forget to call someone if you need a bit of support. you have my number....

PPE
Your going to be fine Sweetie. Took 3 trys for me and now in July will make 6 years for me. The program may work for some,and some it may not. AA made me want to stop and get a beer on the way home. One day when I got home I asked my lil girl to get a calendar and mark that day for me,she did and she still doing it. Just when I thought it was a cake walk,the last 6 months have been hard for me so my lil girl and I will get out the calendar's with all her stickers on them and that helps me get by.

When you do this for Traci and only Traci, you will be fine Sweetie. Send me a PM from time to time and let me know how your doing Baby Girl "I love you Sweetie"
Traci: Generally the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to quit drinking. As for religion, all you need is a belief in a power greater than ourselves, but even that is not a requirement. I might have been able to quit without AA, but it sure has helped me stay--and want to stay--sober. It is a fellowship. It is difficult to overcome the initial reaction that it is a weakness of will. People who think I am weak-minded or not strong-willed are not worth my time. We have nothing to prove to them. Drop me a pm if you need anything.

Lauren: Congrats on POD! Miss ya.

Woody