Best Pho in Dallas

I like Pho
I highly recommend (La Me Vietnamese Bistro) on Walnut near Honk Kong market
I just ate dinner at Pho Palace - one of the ones in my rotation. Pho Pasteur is also in my rotation along with Pho So Nam which was the best in Haltom City before they relocated to Arlington. *I prefer Bun Bo Hue to Pho tbh. Originally Posted by Adonis
you should try one or two places on Pioneer Parkway!

(inside joke, the 3 Adonis listed are on Pioneer Pkwy)

Bun Bo Hue is especially good when you need to clear your sinuses..
Chung what do you think of Mai's?
Chung what do you think of Mai's? Originally Posted by mediavolume
in all honesty, I think I need to try it again.. my lone visit was a few years ago and not very good.. HOWEVER..

it was partially my fault.. I didn't know they closed from 3-5 pm, and wandered in about 2:58.. the old Man there went ahead and served me and my companion.. even had to take chairs off the table to sit, they were as good as closed.

I haven't made it back, because I rarely make it out that way, and when I do, Mai's neighbor Vietnam Bar & Grill is more than satisfying.. I have every reason to think Mai's would be worthwhile, just need to squeeze that trigger again.
you should try one or two places on Pioneer Parkway!

(inside joke, the 3 Adonis listed are on Pioneer Pkwy)

Bun Bo Hue is especially good when you need to clear your sinuses.. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Bun Bo Hue is only good if they make it spicy, which alot of places don't make it spicy enough so it tastes like ass.

Le Me, Pho Bang, and a few other places are pretty good. Honestly it's just best to make your own pho if you know how to do it. If you have some experience in the kitchen it's actually not hard to do, just tedious since it takes hours to make your own stock. If you're too lazy to do that shit though (and I completely understand), you can buy the base at a local Vietnamese market (lots of stores in Garland, Richardson, and Plano have them) and just make your own in less then an hour or so.

The best brand is Quoc Viet Foods, which is by far the best pho base. It's still not on par with an epic homemade pot of pho, but that shit takes so much work, it should really be saved for special occasions. You can just experiment with the Quoc Viet base (chicken or beef whatever you prefer) and still come out with a bowl of pho that is still superior than about 99% of the stores. I will caution that the instructions that they give you blow, it expects you to use the entire jar to make about 16 bowls. You can actually freeze your broth too, so it's actually pretty simple to make huge batches and store it.
I'm far from an authority on Vietnamese food in general or Pho in particular. But reasonably close to me is Vietnam Bar & Grill on Bryan. I like it better then most. Only Vietnsmese restaurant that I like as well is Mot Hai Ba, which generally doesn't have pho.
Mot Hai Ba Originally Posted by TexTushHog
one, two, three.. catchy huh?

this is another of the new trendy spots that are best left for people who want to be trendy.
Le Me is a favorite. Pho95 has a special place in my heart, since it was my first experience with Vietnamese cuisine. It's not as good as it once was, but I still like it. Bistro B is always busy, so they must be doing something right.
one, two, three.. catchy huh?

this is another of the new trendy spots that are best left for people who want to be trendy. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
I was interested in hearing your views on it, but thought better of disturbing you. But since you chimed in, I'd be interested to hear what you think if you've eaten there.

As I say, I wouldn't know authentic Vietnamese food if it jumped up and bit me in the ass. But I think Mot Hai Ba's food is very fresh and interesting. I'm very fond of their Shrimp Sizzling Cake. And the Banana Flower Salad is quite good. I also liked the
whole fish, with nuoc mam, celery, peppers, and scallion.

They have a lovely French wine list with very reasonably mark ups.
Vietnam Bar & Grill is the only VN restaurant in Dallas that I liked but the Arlington places mentioned by myself and Chung are better. Also, Bistro B is one of the trendy places that Americanized their menu. The best thing to get from them (At the Hong Kong Market location) is bulk eggrolls for your party platters.

*I'm not Vietnamese but I was married to one for a loooong time.
I was interested in hearing your views on it, but thought better of disturbing you. But since you chimed in, I'd be interested to hear what you think if you've eaten there.
Originally Posted by TexTushHog
well, the food was pretty good, it's just anything but authentic.. only been once, because my Nephew was in town, and we happened to go by there.. he suggested it.. instead of calling it Vietnamese, they should say "Pan-Asian" or something, that would be more accurate.. that's basically true of all of these newer, "trendy" spots, Da Lat, I Luv Pho, and the rest..

but like Adonis hints at, there's a big difference between authentic and not.. you can guess fairly easily what is and what's not by the name, neighborhood, and how many Vietnamese eat there..

Pho is not supposed to be trendy.. it is a poor man's meal.. really.. there's a reason it dates back Centuries, and is eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.. it's cheap to make, quick to serve.. every Vietnamese Lady knows how to make it.. just like cereal or eggs & bacon here..
I would make the drive to Garland to eat pho at Pho Bang Originally Posted by Chung Tran

My best Viet pals , Tran included , recommend Pho Bang as the REAL DEAL
What about Caravelle in Richardson? I only been there once, had a beef fried rice to die for....
Caravelle brings up another point.. if the restaurant bills itself as Chinese/Vietnamese, you can bet it's 80% Chinese on the menu.. that's where the money is.. the beef fried rice is no doubt a Chinese item.

btw, if you are ever served anything but white rice, it's not Vietnamese..