Electric Vehicles

You know, most of you are consuming information that just validates your own prejudices. You find some source that says that EVs will overload the grid, so you love that since it fits to your idea that EVs are bad.

You buy into this shit that the energy consumed to produce the batteries is so large that EVs are actually bad for the environment. Hint: Not one single large lithium battery will EVER not be recycled or re-used. Those nay-sayers are quoting figures designed to make idiots with pre-conceived opinions feel better about their opinions -- now having some "facts" in their support. Guess what -- if you recycle the batteries, the calculus gets very different.

As for EV reliability and dangers. Well... Hmm... Gas catches fire too. I saw THREE burned out gassers on the way to work a few days ago. You seem to accept that reality. But one burned up electric vehicle in the news from California and you have decided they are all bad? You are fucking letting your pre-conceived ideas and opinions guide your thoughts.

I have 11 years of EV vehicle and 14 years of PV under my belt. Buying a Ford Lightning as next addition. Expanding solar power as well.

Lets do some math: The Ford Lightning gets around 2 miles per kwh. Where my Lighting is going, electricity is around $0.12 kwh. That's low, but it is what it is. So the truck will be running at $0.06 per mile. Lets say gas is $3.60 a gallon. For you fuckers that cannot handle math, that means the truck will be getting THE EQUIVALENT OF 60 MPG in terms of cost to drive.

Try that on..... (Maybe some of you rejected MPG back in the 70s. You should consider revisiting the idea. Saves money etc) Originally Posted by dhcharles
So their having trouble keeping up with electricity demand now, (we've already seen blackout before), but adding 100'000 of EV cars won't be an issue. Okay then. So my wife travels a lot to other states to see family. How does she makes a trip of 400 miles in a car that only has a range of 300 miles, (and even less if you drive 75 mph)? Where does she stop to recharge? How long will she have to sit there? Her family farm is in bumfuck Iowa. Where does she charge the car to come home, AND on the way back again? How far out of her way does she have to go? I also travel to see friends and will have the same issue. Not a problem though correct?

By the way I LOVE the Lightening. Really cool truck, bt just who pays for the road work in most states that comes from gas taxes, when EV's don't buy gas? Sucks, since the Lightening weighs 2000lbs more then an F150 and will tear up roads worse, and its own tires and suspension parts. Again, no issue though. Your right, they really don't have the cart way in front of the horse here do they......
.... they really don't have the cart way in front of the horse here do they...... Originally Posted by KCFalcon77
And we're back to horses, which were mentioned back at post 9.
I went with a friend of mine in their Tesla to Parsons KS one afternoon. When we left the plan was to go to Neosho to recharge then back to KC. Oh no, had to go to Joplin. The Tesla said we didn't have enough juice to make it. Filled up then off to KC. Oh no, we had to stop again in Neosho due to lack of juice. Finally got back at 2 in the morning. Convinced me that I'm not giving up my big truck with the big gas tank that goes 600+ miles between fill ups. Ain't technology grand.
Falcon. EVs just aren't good for your use case right now. That doesn't mean they aren't right for someone. Most folks don't travel more than 20 miles or so a day.

I don't have an EV but I certainly wouldn't mind having one. It would be perfect for most of the short trips I make around town. The EVs I've driven or ridden in have been pretty nice. Definitely heavy though.

Road maintenance funds don't come only from gasoline taxes. I believe most states with heavy EV adoption have taken the opportunity to increase property taxes on EVs for just that reason.

No one is forcing you to buy an EV and petroleum propelled vehicles aren't going anywhere any time soon. I am 100% certain that I'll be able to buy gasoline for the rest of my years, and hopefully I have another 40 or so left in me. I just don't understand what you guys all have against clean air...
Hounding - You embarked on a trip of 150 miles, in a vehicle that optimistically has a 300 mile range under ideal conditions. That just seems short sighted to me.

Nothing against you or your friend, to each his own.
I didn't realize they are tanks in their own right https://www.axios.com/2023/04/28/evs...afety-problems
Falcon. EVs just aren't good for your use case right now. That doesn't mean they aren't right for someone. Most folks don't travel more than 20 miles or so a day.

I don't have an EV but I certainly wouldn't mind having one. It would be perfect for most of the short trips I make around town. The EVs I've driven or ridden in have been pretty nice. Definitely heavy though.

Road maintenance funds don't come only from gasoline taxes. I believe most states with heavy EV adoption have taken the opportunity to increase property taxes on EVs for just that reason.

No one is forcing you to buy an EV and petroleum propelled vehicles aren't going anywhere any time soon. I am 100% certain that I'll be able to buy gasoline for the rest of my years, and hopefully I have another 40 or so left in me. I just don't understand what you guys all have against clean air... Originally Posted by bobharris462
First off I have nothing against EV's I was responding to the poster who said we're being foolish. I do think your being optimistic if you think most people only travel 20 miles around most major cities, suburban sprawl is a real thing. Do some research on how many people drive their cars on vacation. Its damn near impossible to plan a trip of any length in an EV, given their limited range AND limited access to charging facilities.
EVs are certainly heavier than a comparably sized gas powered vehicle. Most are far lighter than many of todays SUVs however. A Tesla model 3 comes in around 3900 lbs vs a Honda Accord at around 3200 lbs. A model X, which I think is Tesla's largest vehicle weighs in at about 5200 lbs, a Toyota 4 Runner about 4500 lbs while a GMC Yukon comes in at around 5700 lbs. Most F-150s, which are one of the most popular vehicles on the road, tip the scales at over 5000 lbs.

My favorite vehicle in the personal fleet, an old Datsun 240z, weighs in at a measly 2400 lbs...
First off I have nothing against EV's I was responding to the poster who said we're being foolish. I do think your being optimistic if you think most people only travel 20 miles around most major cities, suburban sprawl is a real thing. Do some research on how many people drive their cars on vacation. Its damn near impossible to plan a trip of any length in an EV, given their limited range AND limited access to charging facilities. Originally Posted by KCFalcon77
Certainly, if I had an EV as my only vehicle, I'd be renting a car for most any road trip I'd undertake. Any EV out there today has sufficient range to cover the vast majority of peoples daily driving needs. I do feel some of us are being foolish! If you're driving more than 200 miles a day, you're doing it wrong!

By the way, one of Kansas City's largest employers (no affiliation) has spent the better part of the last decade building, amongst other things, Tesla super charger stations all across the country!
Wake up

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...m-modern-times Originally Posted by Topgun007
What in this article is surprising to anyone other than that guy??
The feds are so short sighted. Originally Posted by Canuckdude
This has little to do with Feds. Most of this is private industry except for tax credits. There is a demand for electric vehicles and companies are filling that demand.

I'm not sold on the EV thing at this time, range just isn't there. The companies need to start focusing on range, like double, instead of 0-60 drag race times. They can still be fast, but most want range to increase the practicality, lessen the need for daily charging, and make interstate travel feasible.

Tesla was first to market and the industry as a whole was stupid to not standardize a charging plug. Tesla offered it, now the charging network is all bastardized... Maybe the Gov should have stepped in at least on that. I think Ford finally got on board the Tesla charging network.

Overall it takes time to build out the infrastructure for charging and it is happening. Funny thing is this all happened around 100 years ago when horse/wagons changed to cars. Highways for cars had to be built, gas stations along the way, mechanics had to learn to work on them.

Sad thing in the end of all this, charging an EV will probably end up costing as much per mile as filling up tank. That depends on where gas prices go in the future. Gas will probably go up, however as EV gains traction maybe the demand for gas/refining will go down.
You are so wrong if you think EV are the right thing. First of all the reduction of our carbon footprint is so small it is nonessential. Do the research

https://manhattan-institute.us4.list...4&e=ee0a146362 Originally Posted by Topgun007
What's the right thing then? Wait for 30-40 years and oil reserves dry up? Then o fuck what do we do? The electric cars of today aren't perfect, but they are fueling innovation in battery tech, mining techniques, and alternative battery chemistry. Without the demand for EVs none of this innovation would happen.

EV cars are great for in town travel. I think we are 5 years away from feasible interstate travel.

I've said all along that a few standard battery sizes should be used for all cars. Refueling would be a matter of a quick automated swap from a rack of batteries. Might be safety concerns needing to be worked out on this though.
The Science isn't there yet and the facts won't change the left even when it hits them in the face. Originally Posted by Cherokeechief
Republicans fear change. A classic trait.
One here in Florida caught fire and did $ 1 million Dollars damage to a home. It was Mercedes loaner from the dealer because her car was broken.
Not real good for long trips. I couldn't find a extension cord long enough for me. LOL Originally Posted by Cherokeechief
How many gas car fires were there in comparison? Electric fires make the news, ICE car fires are so common they rarely make the news.