What are your Quirks or Peccadillo's?

1. I cannot stand the sight of most slimy creatures -- frogs in particular. Just typing the word almost makes me gag. Seriously. I felt bad about that until I met someone who gags at the sight of a bird.

2. I can't leave any dishes in the sink. If a visitor puts a barely-used plate in my sink, I immediately pick it up, wash it off and stick it in the dishwasher.

3. Regardless of how little gas I have in my car, I often try to make it to my office without the tank going completely empty. How stupid is that? Incredibly, I haven't run out of gas in over 25 years. And the two times I did run out (in my 30s), I was pulling into a gas station.

4. If the team I'm pulling for is not winning in a televised sports event, I'll get up from the couch and go to the restroom -- as if that will have some effect on the game. It never has. Regardless, I'll still go to the restroom if they're losing.

5. I love to take a piss in my driveway in the wee hours of the morning. I have two restrooms. But for some reason, draining ye olde lizard (yuck, one of them slimy creatures!!) feels better if I'm doing it under the stars. I only have one neighbor (to my left as I'm looking across the street from my house), and I know they're sound asleep, so there's really no risk of getting nailed. Unless a cop car suddenly rounds the corner ...
OMG, I forgot about that one. My TP rolls must go over the top. If I see an under roll I have to take it off and change it over. Originally Posted by atxbrad
Me too! I was just thinking I better not visit Vickie-Lyn or I will change her roll over. She would hate that, I'm sorry!
Bed has to be made before I leave for the day.

No dirty dishes in the sink. As soon as we finish dinner the kitchen has to be cleaned.
I need you 'No dirty dish' OCD'ers to come by my home a few times a week..
I never take the top newspaper in the dispenser rack. Always the second one.

I face all my bills and arrange them by denomination before folding them and putting them in my money clip.

As I drive, I “read” license plates, and make phrases and words out of the three letters in the standard Texas tags. The raunchier the better.

All my pictures and framed things must be perfect on the walls – I use a level to check this. At your place, I am likely to use my eyeball to set them plumb.

Monk
  • 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Quirky? Moi?! Pshaw....

Okay, maybe a couple of things; broad themes like abstinence, punctuality, Napoleonic compensation....

Haven't made my bed in over 26 years. Never had an alcoholic drink, carbonated drink, tobacco product or recreational drug excepting sugar and caffeine. Vacuum floors and mow head monthly, haven't had someone else cut my hair since 2004.* Drink ~4 gallons of chocolate milk a week. No cable TV or landline phone. Ride Shadow daily year 'round, no car. Power rack's in living room. Juggle 5 ball cascade.

Man, this could be a loong post. More later, maybe.

* Oh, yeah, the hair clippers. In 2004 a Cost Cutters hairstylist and I were trying to figure out how to stylishly shorten the haircut I'd grown up with in Chicago, because Austin's so much hotter. She said, "Honey, you're always going to be ugly, you might as well be comfortable."
I never take the top newspaper in the dispenser rack. Always the second one.

I face all my bills and arrange them by denomination before folding them and putting them in my money clip.

As I drive, I “read” license plates, and make phrases and words out of the three letters in the standard Texas tags. The raunchier the better.

All my pictures and framed things must be perfect on the walls – I use a level to check this. At your place, I am likely to use my eyeball to set them plumb.

Monk Originally Posted by Monk Rasputin

i share a couple of these quirks. for me, i will always take the third one---and this quirk applies to almost any item that is stacked or in a row. in my refrigerator, i always keep a supply of 3 big bottles of soft drinks and 3 bottles of gatorade.

i am also the same about having picture frames be perfectly level.

i am right-handed, but i eat with my left hand. i call myself a left-handed person trapped in a right-handed body.

i don't do the dirty word games with license plates, but i thought it was ironic that when i got a new car this past spring, my new plates began with bj9.
1. I can NOT go to a garage sale or even enter a Goodwill Store. The thought of buying something that someone else has used makes me nauseous.

2. I can NOT stand to hear the sound of silverware clinging together. At home I use plastic spoons and forks so I can just throw them away instead of having to wash silverware or put the silverware in the dishwasher. If I have someone over for dinner I use silverware but when everyone leaves I individually wrap each piece of silverware in a paper towel and then put them all in a trash bag and throw them in the dumpster.

3. I can NOT make a left turn onto a busy street. I have to turn right and make the turnaround no matter how many blocks I have to backtrack.

4. I HAVE to make my bed first thing in the morning.

5. If I am going shopping at Barton Creek Mall or Whole Foods I have to be all dressed up with perfect make-up and hair.

6. If I am driving home and I'm within 10 feet of my driveway and a good song comes on the radio I will drive around the neighborhood until the song goes off.

7. I am feeding a stray cat at my incall and even if I am not working that day I will still drive to the incall to feed the cat.

8. In a classroom situation or even an exercise class I have to sit in the very back row.

9. I can NOT drink out of a paper or plastic cup. It has to be glass.

10. If I see Sarah Palin on TV I have to immediately change the channel or I will vomit.
I have systematically broken myself of all such habits.

One remaining one is that I face all my bills the same way, bigger bills in, dollar bills out. This has practical reason.
I MUST have my wife read this thread. I'm fairly normal compared to most, but I'm not saying normal is anything great.

I am a pepsi-holic. Gotta start the day out with it and try to limit myself to 4 cans a day. There are many things I LIKE to have done my way, but I'm not crazy about it -- toilet paper over the top, house cleaned (by me) once a week, lawn and shrubs looking perfect, cars clean and polished. My wife calls me OCD, but good OCD. Like 78704, I am crazy about punctuality. I would say this is my one true obsession.

I am fanatic about exercise too, and most would think obsessive.
Regarding the order of putting bills in my wallet....I not only start buy putting them in order from low to high, I also "grade" each group of bills and put the shitty worn bills in the front of each group and use them first and save the newer crisp ones.
Me too! I was just thinking I better not visit Vickie-Lyn or I will change her roll over. She would hate that, I'm sorry! Originally Posted by Dagny D.E.W.
Its ok my little people do it to me all the time

I cannot take a shower without washing my hair

If I take a bath I have to shower afterwards

I wont touch wet bread

I have been forever 15 minutes late
Regarding the order of putting bills in my wallet....I not only start buy putting them in order from low to high, I also "grade" each group of bills and put the shitty worn bills in the front of each group and use them first and save the newer crisp ones. Originally Posted by TheCandyMan

i do the same, low to high, presidents upright and looking forward, except i put the older bills in front of each demonination so they get used first. i have to get out of people's way whenever i get change after paying as the filing system can take time!
  • yeesh
  • 11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I never carry pocket change if I can help it. Any coins I get either goes into one of my truck cup-holders or in the over sized Simpsons glass on my dresser.
1. I'm still scared of the dark & can't walk into a dark room without sticking my arm in and flipping the switch. Which is probably due to #2
2. I am scared to death of ghosts
3. I play with my ear all the time when its cold (lol weird I know)
4. Love ice in my milk (2%)
5. Have to have honey with my chicken tenders