Self Defense

To the OP,

Sorry this thread has gone sideways. If you really earned your belt, then you must be an honest man. I too was a student of many masters and I'll never forget the tenants of the dojang. Honor being so high. Here in Eccie, there is no such honor. It is a well of untamed desire that real world experiences don't exist, except in a drunk's imagination. It's essentially a boys locker room. The women here come and go like the wind. The ones who stay, might be able to kick your ass. Don't be fooled - you're in a world of smut. Tread lightly and carry a big bar of soap. Originally Posted by drax1
Agreed. Like I said it was just a thought and something I enjoy. No harm no foul.

Shouldn't one's skills in the martial arts be like a concealed gun? Originally Posted by pyramider
In many ways they are. We are taught that if real world shit starts to go down A) try to avoid it and if you can't B) warn the other person of your skill before you hurt them. If they still want shit to go down after the warning, they ultimately get what they deserve,.

QUOTE=pyramider;1055685213]Shouldn't one's skills in the martial arts be like a concealed gun? Originally Posted by drax1
I started training with my when I was twelve. I was a brown belt when I was16. My school, at that time, wouldn't allow you to test for black until you were 18. The reason was because although children could attain the necessary skill, the lacked power. My Master said he didn't want his black belts getting their asses kicked by 22 year old blue belts that would just over power the young guys.

Now, apply that logic to a spinner with a black belt against a large male. Martial arts can make you a better fighter, but size and strength have their advantages. Now, you see why rudementary training in martial arts will more likely result in your ass kicking than you kicking ass.[/QUOTE]

100% agree with emphasis on rudimentary. I remember being a kid and going to see The Karate Kid in theaters. When my friends and I left, we were convinced that we, too, were black belts and able to Mr. Myagi the shit out of anyone who needed.
One ass kicking was all it took to convince us otherwise.

I would go on to add that in any confrontation, whether you want to use weapons or skill (or both) for protection, the best way to win is to avoid the confrontation.
I agree wholeheartedly Drax

The fact is it takes far less time and dedication to become proficient with a weapon than with martial arts. To be truly proficient at a martial art requires it to be a part of your lifestyle where the moves and reactions become instantaneous and do not require conscious thought to remember.

Add to that the fact that many schools are a McDojo joke better for fitness than self defense and practice only occurs versus a compliant attacker not even moving at full speed and you get a very large false sense of security that collapses very quickly when a larger, aggressive, and non-compliant attacker does it for real.

I'm sorry but just a few hours of handgun training and occasional range practice will last you a lifetime. Not to mention that the very act of brandishing a weapon is usually enough to defuse the situation.

I honestly feel like self defense classes targeted at women do much for their psychology but little to actually protect them.
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray

SWEEP THE LEG!!!!!
Agreed. Like I said it was just a thought and something I enjoy. No harm no foul.

In many ways they are. We are taught that if real world shit starts to go down A) try to avoid it and if you can't B) warn the other person of your skill before you hurt them. If they still want shit to go down after the warning, they ultimately get what they deserve,.

Originally Posted by Iron_Man

Sweet baby Tebow, all 8 lbs and 6 ozs of baby beauty. You were taught to warn people of your skill? Ah hell, I have seen at least a dozen "black belts" limping and bloodied when they warned the belligerent. Hell, one was so stupid he got his ass whooped as he tried to take off his cowboy boots. Damn, that used to be good entertainment.
Sweet baby Tebow, all 8 lbs and 6 ozs of baby beauty. You were taught to warn people of your skill? Ah hell, I have seen at least a dozen "black belts" limping and bloodied when they warned the belligerent. Hell, one was so stupid he got his ass whooped as he tried to take off his cowboy boots. Damn, that used to be good entertainment. Originally Posted by pyramider
Sssssshhhh, 3-sides. This could've been fun.

Oh well...he probably won't listen and have to learn the hard way anyhow.
  • drax1
  • 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM
A black belt is like a diploma. It means nothing in the real world other than you have completed the requirements of that school. You know your katas and can half ass look like you know what you're doing in a controlled fight with another black belt from that school.

Not all schools are equal. My school in Houston was well known in the tournament cycle. We almost always won the overall competition. Our brown belts would destroy black belts from other schools. When I finally made black belt most of the schools that came in from Dallas would withdraw from the black belt class because my friend almost killed one of them at Del Mar stadium. The economy was rough in Houston at the time so most of us joined the military. My friend became an Army Ranger elite. I always thought, "Pity on the SOB that has to fight him." I always felt better knowing he was on our side. He was the best fighter our school ever produced.
...just a few hours of handgun training and occasional range practice will last you a lifetime... Originally Posted by SpiceItUp
That there probably sums it up.

A few hours of class and a spin around the parking lot ... and you are READY!

.. for a life time.

That there probably sums it up.

A few hours of class and a spin around the parking lot ... and you are READY!
Originally Posted by LexusLover
Way to take my comments out of context. Go back to the political forum and grind that gun control axe, we're talking about real world women's safety here.

Which do you think leaves a woman more prepared? 15 hours of self defense class and her bare hands or 15 hours of weapons training and a Glock .45?
  • drax1
  • 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Sweet baby Tebow, all 8 lbs and 6 ozs of baby beauty. You were taught to warn people of your skill? Ah hell, I have seen at least a dozen "black belts" limping and bloodied when they warned the belligerent. Hell, one was so stupid he got his ass whooped as he tried to take off his cowboy boots. Damn, that used to be good entertainment. Originally Posted by pyramider
I don't know of anyone warning anyone of their black belt status. That's a sure way to get your ass kicked. "Excuse me, but under Untied Federation of Tae Kwon Do, I must warn you that I'm a bad ass with a black belt." Go try that one in the 3rd ward. ha ha

You saw a guy taking off cowboy boots get his ass kicked? He must've gone to one of those Dallas dojos.
Way to take my comments out of context. Go back to the political forum and grind that gun control axe, we're talking about real world women's safety here.

Which do you think leaves a woman more prepared? 15 hours of self defense class and her bare hands or 15 hours of weapons training and a Glock .45? Originally Posted by SpiceItUp
You put them in context. Why even suggest 15 hours of training? It has nothing to do with "gun control" or the political forum.

What's wrong?

I don't have enough pussy reviews to have a worthwhile opinion on the quality and quantity of firearms training a person should have before they put themselves and everyone around them in harms way?

Don't let the testosterone cloud your vision.

Basic peace officer training crams in roughly 140 hours of training related to carrying and using a handgun in comparison to the same subjects covered in the CHL training. And 80% of them are not qualified to engage in close quarters firearm confrontations, which is where most of the ladies you are so concerned about will be if they need a firearm .. or "Quick-Quo-Doe" ...

A "Glock 45"?
I don't know of anyone warning anyone of their black belt status. That's a sure way to get your ass kicked. "Excuse me, but under Untied Federation of Tae Kwon Do, I must warn you that I'm a bad ass with a black belt." Go try that one in the 3rd ward. ha ha

You saw a guy taking off cowboy boots get his ass kicked? He must've gone to one of those Dallas dojos. Originally Posted by drax1

It was in Houston. It was highly good entertainment night. The cops and EMS crew were laughing their asses off at the "black belt."
Most ladies have weapons stashed around their incalls. Bug zappers, knives, bats, brass knuckles, etc. Just enough pop to allow them to escape. Originally Posted by pyramider
Using these items is technically a fetish and costs 100 extra...ijs
You put them in context. Why even suggest 15 hours of training? It has nothing to do with "gun control" or the political forum.

What's wrong?

I don't have enough pussy reviews to have a worthwhile opinion on the quality and quantity of firearms training a person should have before they put themselves and everyone around them in harms way?

Don't let the testosterone cloud your vision.

Basic peace officer training crams in roughly 140 hours of training related to carrying and using a handgun in comparison to the same subjects covered in the CHL training. And 80% of them are not qualified to engage in close quarters firearm confrontations, which is where most of the ladies you are so concerned about will be if they need a firearm .. or "Quick-Quo-Doe" ...

A "Glock 45"? Originally Posted by LexusLover
No I'm suggesting you've spent so much time in the political forum focusing on abstractions that you may have gotten used to everyone committing logical fallacies like the false equivalence you imply here in order to "win" an argument.

I noticed you didn't answer the question merely repeated your own opinion which completely avoids the fact that we are comparing one thing to another.

Are you suggesting it takes less time to become proficient at a martial art than a firearm? Are you suggesting that a self defense class leaves a woman more prepared than handgun training?

If not, then you are taking my comments out of context because that is the assertion I have made all along.

We can dicker about how much time is necessary, the greater point remains.

...and there's no such thing as a Glock 45 as you well know, hence the period I used indicating caliber.