Why are we still putting ethanol in our cars?

Why?

Because it is one spending program both Democrats and Republicans can agree on...........that's what you get when you have bipartisanship and compromise...bad public policy.
  • KCJoe
  • 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM
ethanol is crap. industry couldn't survive without subsidies. Gov. Matt Blunt(MO), almost got indicted because of the corruption surrounding ethanol plants. FBI made him a deal. Don't run for a second term and we won't prosecute you.
Seems everyone has been brain washed by the oil companies. Henry Ford designed his first cars to run on ethanol, which was one reason the oil companies forced prohibition through to ban alcohol.

Ethanol burns cleaner, and if people in norther climes every put a can of HEET in the your car in winter, it was ethanol or methanol, in other words alcohol to get the water out of your gas tank.

Any true and accurate study about ethanol shows it is beneficial, in fact, in has helped to keep gasoline prices lower by 25 cents a gallon. Also, if ethanol caused corn prices to up to $8 a bushel and food prices to go up in 2008, why are food prices higher now when corn is down to $3.50 a bushel?
You are either a corn farmer or have been brainwashed by the ethanol company.
I do farm, and I am not brainwashed, just stating the facts. Try looking up all the oil company subsidies built into the tax code. Try to find any study that credits the distillers grains going back as livestock feed. Tell me the energy consumed at a refinery to break a gallon of crude oil into gasoline.

I burn ethanol all the time in my stuff. Works great. Put over 250,000 miles on a ford explorer too.
We have options; Harley-Davidson, yes, THAT Harley-Davidson is making an electric motorcycle. You'll see it in the new Avenger's movie with Scarlett's legs spread around it.

You could always invest in the Elio

This one has been pimped....be still my beating heart. 80 miles a gallon! Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

Harley is about four years late rolling out an electric. Ever hear of Zero Motorcycles? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ Granted the Zeros are over priced, but all Harleys are, too.
Do you understand how we used to farm crops vs. how we do know because of this ignorant policy? Of course you don't. Originally Posted by WTF
Oh, did I hurt your pussy again, WTF? Did your Daddy send you down to Brasil and you spent your time in the gay termas forgetting what to report back? Again?

ethanol is crap. industry couldn't survive without subsidies. Originally Posted by KCJoe
What is the current deal with ethanol subsidies?

Ethanol burns cleaner, and if people in norther climes every put a can of HEET in the your car in winter, it was ethanol or methanol, in other words alcohol to get the water out of your gas tank. Originally Posted by farmstud60
The only thing "beneficial" about ethanol is that it replaced MTBEs. There's been many studies that show a gallon of grain alcohol contains less energy than a gallon of refined petroleum gasoline.
Seems everyone has been brain washed by the oil companies. Henry Ford designed his first cars to run on ethanol, which was one reason the oil companies forced prohibition through to ban alcohol.

Ethanol burns cleaner, and if people in norther climes every put a can of HEET in the your car in winter, it was ethanol or methanol, in other words alcohol to get the water out of your gas tank.

Any true and accurate study about ethanol shows it is beneficial, in fact, in has helped to keep gasoline prices lower by 25 cents a gallon. Also, if ethanol caused corn prices to up to $8 a bushel and food prices to go up in 2008, why are food prices higher now when corn is down to $3.50 a bushel? Originally Posted by farmstud60
Actually, this is a little known fact, but Henry Ford initially made his first car run on bullshit, because he correctly assumed there would be an unlimited supply. Unfortunately, most producers of bullshit don't realize it and so it gets wasted as an energy source.
  • WTF
  • 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Actually, this is a little known fact, but Henry Ford initially made his first car run on bullshit, because he correctly assumed there would be an unlimited supply. Unfortunately, most producers of bullshit don't realize it and so it gets wasted as an energy source. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
They ever start running cars on bullshit and you'd make a fortune!
I do farm, and I am not brainwashed, just stating the facts. Try looking up all the oil company subsidies built into the tax code. Try to find any study that credits the distillers grains going back as livestock feed. Tell me the energy consumed at a refinery to break a gallon of crude oil into gasoline.

I burn ethanol all the time in my stuff. Works great. Put over 250,000 miles on a ford explorer too. Originally Posted by farmstud60
My own personal use of it does not tally with yours.
1 If you don't add a additive to your gas cans for lawnmower, chain saw trimmer,snow blower sitting over the summer or winter they won't start.
2 Have a current model pickup with plain standard fuel all around mileage was 19 MPG With ethanol blend it dropped to 14 MPG This was over a month test buying fuel at the same station.
My own personal use of it does not tally with yours.
1 If you don't add a additive to your gas cans for lawnmower, chain saw trimmer,snow blower sitting over the summer or winter they won't start.
2 Have a current model pickup with plain standard fuel all around mileage was 19 MPG With ethanol blend it dropped to 14 MPG This was over a month test buying fuel at the same station.
Originally Posted by i'va biggen

I will bullpucky on your nonsense. Of course the real problem is that gasoline is a lot worse now than 20 years ago. They can get buy with it because ethanol cleans up the crap the put in gas. Still need to put Sta-Bil or something in the gas because it goes bad much quicker.

Your gas mileage story is bull pucky if you use 10% or 15% blends, no change in mileage, or even a hair better. Now if you did use 85% the mileage would drop a little bit, but the lower price more than makes up for the difference.

Any true and accurate study about ethanol shows it is beneficial, in fact, in has helped to keep gasoline prices lower by 25 cents a gallon. Also, if ethanol caused corn prices to up to $8 a bushel and food prices to go up in 2008, why are food prices higher now when corn is down to $3.50 a bushel? Originally Posted by farmstud60

A little while back Mythbusters had a show about moonshining. You know, white lighting and cars. They made some high octane moonshine and tried in three different cars. They myth is that cars will run on alcohol in a pinch. The first car from the 70s would not even start, the second car from the 90s with a catalytic converter started but ran really rough, the third car from 2013 started and ran a track but it was someone less than what it should have been. So I have to doubt that Henry Ford designed his cars to run on alcohol and having read about the early days of cross country racing, they had to carry gasoline with them since there were no gas stations. Alcohol could be had anywhere in the 1910s. So I think you're wrong or making it up.
Every study that I've read or heard of says the opposite, ethanol has less energy per gram of liquid so you have to burn more to get the same power and speed. So you have to burn more ethanol to get the same effect as gasoline. Plus gasoline has lubricating effect and alcohol does not. It is harder on your engine.

One reason food prices are higher is that the price of gasoline has gone up and has stayed up.
Harley is about four years late rolling out an electric. Ever hear of Zero Motorcycles? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ Granted the Zeros are over priced, but all Harleys are, too. Originally Posted by pyramider
But Harley has something else....Scarlett's ass
I will bullpucky on your nonsense. Of course the real problem is that gasoline is a lot worse now than 20 years ago. They can get buy with it because ethanol cleans up the crap the put in gas. Still need to put Sta-Bil or something in the gas because it goes bad much quicker.

Your gas mileage story is bull pucky if you use 10% or 15% blends, no change in mileage, or even a hair better. Now if you did use 85% the mileage would drop a little bit, but the lower price more than makes up for the difference. Originally Posted by farmstud60
You are brainwashed if you believe that. They quit handling 85% around here as no one would buy it unless it was $1.00 less a gallon, because that was the mileage lost. If it wasn't that they put 10% in everything but a few stations I wouldn't put it in anything.
Ethanol is crap! That's why my car, lawn mower, chainsaw and everything else that uses gas has a big X thru ethanol cause it's corn shit. Biodiesel is shit too, clogs up your fuel filters, lines etc..leaves sludge in the bottom of your tanks. Fuel mileage is horrible truck runs like shit with no power.

Only reason they have ethanol and biodiesel is so the farmers can quit claiming money from the government cause there harvest got ruin.