Why People Become Poor

I think the biggest cause of multi generational poverty is a kind of breaking of the will. People become programmed into believing that they have been victimized (usually by racism) and that they can't get out of poverty without the government's help.

Once you buy into the victimization mentality, you are allieviated from any sense of guilt for your lack of hard work or any behavior that might have caused your poverty. You accept the notion that you are basically helpless. Since you believe you didn't cause your problem, it logically follows that you can't solve your problem. The victimization mentality has a kind of paralyzing effect. It keeps people trapped in poverty generation after generation.
Originally Posted by joe bloe
I have ommitted yoru last para because it is just yoru normal party political broadcast. But on the face of it I have some sympathy for the rest.

But....is it a myth or do we have any evidence this is true?

The only evidence I can rely on is personal, with people I know who struggle and woud be candidates for the ghetto mentality (for that is what you are talking about).

The girl I fucked this afternoon, she and her family live down Telephone, and her cousin considers them all ghetto (kettle and pot and black come to mind).

There is certainly the feeling that as a white guy I have limitless funds and should help them out whenever I can.

But i can;t see much government help.

Most of the family who is able to works (say 4 out of 6 adults), the other adults share care of the children.

My girl goes to school, but it is difficult as she has to take a bus and pay some small fees and the books are expensive if she damages them.

One brother worked offshore, he now has another job at - wait for it - $12.50 an hour. This is a mature experienced guy doing hard work at a refinery.

Of course some family members permanently drink and smoke. But others are trying to make something for themselves, but keep getting knocked back.

In short, I don't see much living off government handouts. The real issue is what paths there are for people to move upwards.

I am sure the ghetto dependency culture is there, but that is an opinion which I wouldn't like to defend in front of them.

As the video says, people like me can buy cars at low interest rates, people at the bottom have no credit rating and are charged at 20% if they are lucky, one missed payment and the car is towed away. Trust me, I know.
Essence, you don't watch enough TV. It is referencing a commercial.

"You are so very smart!" "Not really, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night." Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I don;t watch any TV. I only have freeview, and I've given up on old 60's comedy series. I would like to get netflix or something, but i can't as they need a us address registered credit card.

Like a lot of US things, they don't seem to recognise there is a 'rest of the world' who visit a lot. Same issue using CC at gas station.
So we're in agreement, a person's lot in life can be greatly impacted by forces outside of their control. Originally Posted by Doove
Social welfare programs perpetuate poverty by lessening the bad outcome that would otherwise be the result of bad life choices. The recipent of welfare has to willingly participate in the arrangement. No one forces you to take welfare; it's not a force outside of your control.

An alchoholic has no right to blame the bar tender that provides the booze. The drunk is responsible for being a drunk. If a person lives his life on welfare, it's his choice; he's responsible.
Having watched some of Tom Sowell, my view is to mainly agree with him - government can do little to get people out of poverty - but I go a bit further and say that government should get out of the way of kicking back down those who are making the first steps out of poverty.

I don;t know about US, but there are a hold heap on speedbumps in the UK which are raised as soon an somebody gets a low wage job.
  • Doove
  • 03-18-2012, 05:44 AM
So we're in agreement, a person's lot in life can be greatly impacted by forces outside of their control. Originally Posted by Doove
Duh. That was the original point of this thread. Very perceptive, Doofe.

Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Then why does that point seem to have been lost on you during your first 6947 posts?

The recipent of welfare has to willingly participate in the arrangement. No one forces you to take welfare; it's not a force outside of your control.

An alchoholic has no right to blame the bar tender that provides the booze. The drunk is responsible for being a drunk. If a person lives his life on welfare, it's his choice; he's responsible. Originally Posted by joe bloe
Your alcoholic/bartender analogy seems to refute your point entirely. If you're smart you'll piece it together.

I've got faith in ya!
Then why does that point seem to have been lost on you during your first 6947 posts?

Your alcoholic/bartender analogy seems to refute your point entirely. If you're smart you'll piece it together.

I've got faith in ya! Originally Posted by Doove
The analogy still holds.

The welfare parasite has no right to blame the government for his addiction to welfare since he has free will and his decision to live on welfare was made freely. The welfare provider is not an outside force, over which, he has no control.

The drunk has no right to blame the bartender for his alchohol addiction since he is freely participating in the transaction of buying alchohol. The bartender is not an outside force, over which, he has no control.

Society as a whole does have the moral authority to judge the ethics of the social welfare state and to determine if it should continue in its current form. It is the country as a whole that is being bankrupted by out of control entitlement spending and the country has a right (and obligation) reign it in.
  • Doove
  • 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
The analogy still holds. Originally Posted by joe bloe
Wrong answer! But don't worry, it'll come to ya.