Dallas Police Officer goes home to the wrong apartment, kills man inside !!

No drugs / alcohol just stupid ,,,,
Maybe, but it also helps get a conviction for murder if you think that’s what the DA really wants. I’m not sure that’s true, but it’s at least the stated aim of the State. I’m not sure they didn’t deliberately overcharge her hyoping she’d be acquitted. Originally Posted by TexTushHog

Overcharged with murder in hopes of being acquitted. Yes that’s what I tend to believe.
I’m not sure they didn’t deliberately overcharge her hyoping she’d be acquitted. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Overcharged with murder in hopes of being acquitted. Yes that’s what I tend to believe. Originally Posted by FunMonday
I wondered that myself. in regards to that possibility, what amount of leverage does the State have, concerning a reduction to Manslaughter or criminal negligence?

if the State tells the Judge it wants Murder or nothing, how much weight is that given? 100%? zero?
The defense rested its case on Monday morning in the murder trial of Amber Guyger, and the prosecution chose not to call any rebuttal witnesses.

Prior to each side delivering their closing arguments, Judge Tammy Kemp read the charges to the jury.

The state finished its final statements just before 1 p.m. and the jury was dismissed before lunch before beginning deliberation.

The jury is considering whether Guyger is guilty of murder, a lesser crime of manslaughter, or if she is not guilty.

The jury and four alternates are sequestered for the duration of the trial.
Waiting for the jury to come back with a verdict.

They have been deliberating for about 46 minutes.

Remember:

all 12 members of the Jury must agree on the same verdict.

It has to be UNANIMOUS

If they can't agree unanimously, then it's a hung jury.

LIVE FEED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYq09pS4T0
The prosecution is being dirty! Calling Gugyer's testimony GARBAGE:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ments-11768716

Read the article below it. The one below the photo of the gavel:

The implication, one that Hermus (the Assistant DA) has been trying to make for days, is that even if one concedes that Guyger’s belief that she was in her apartment, not Jean’s, at the time of the shooting was reasonable, her decision to shoot Jean wasn’t reasonable.

There’s a problem with this argument, according to legal experts. Texas law gives anyone who shoots someone in the shooter’s habitation — or, in this case, what the shooter believes to be his or her habitation — the benefit of the doubt. The shooter is presumed to have acted believing his or her life was in danger. They don’t have to prove it.

"It's absolute," Dallas criminal defense attorney Pete Schulte told the Observer earlier this week. "If she was in her occupied habitation, it's an acquittal."
I thought that same Pete Schulte had said the law MAY NOT apply, based on the apartment not being her habitation, despite her belief that it was.

what were the jury instructions? can they find for less than murder?

edit: I see where the Judge said the jury CAN consider the castle doctrine, so yes, no way a Murder conviction can occur.. forget it.

what were the jury instructions? can they find for less than murder? Originally Posted by Chung Tran

The jury is considering whether Guyger is guilty of murder, a lesser crime of manslaughter, or if she is not guilty.

It has to be UNANIMOUS

It has to be UNANIMOUS

Originally Posted by CG2014
point of order..

is the lesser crime possibility ONLY manslaughter, or could it also be criminal negligence?

edit: I found it.. Manslaughter only.

I predict Amber will be found guilty of Manslaughter.. 2 year sentence, I think.
I don't know.

I only know from what I read online and I have only seen manslaughter being mentioned as the lesser charge.

I forgot to say if it's a Hung Jury, she can be retried again.

Also there are no limits to how many times a person can be retried if it keeps coming back with a hung jury.
Here's a dumb blonde joke:

why did the dumb blonde ran to the courthouse?

because she heard there was a hung jury.
https://brettpodolsky.com/murder/how...hter-different

I am reading this (second degree murder.. first degree, or Capital murder has a zero chance) description of murder in Texas. looks like this is what the prosecution seeks.. but..

in the 3rd bullet point, it says "if, in the commission of another felony..."

there is no other felony, like, say, hijacking a vehicle, or kidnapping someone.

I can only conclude that the State brought up murder to placate certain members of the community, knowing that manslaughter was the only charge that could stick.
I'm wondering, too, if the jury reaches a decision, how much lead time will law enforcement get? I'm thinking I would want Lamar, Elm, and Main streets heavily manned when the decision is read. although I predict there will be no rioting, maybe a small skirmish or two that dies quickly.. from rabble-rousers that think anything short of a murder conviction is insufferable injustice.
You are correct, Chung.

They gave in to political and community pressure and charged her with murder.
Looks like this is the only thing the Judge has done right.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/30/...-murder-trial/
As stated I’m not an Amber fan and she is totally incompetent as a cop. The city of Dallas has serious liability issues with their hiring practices, training, and with regard to their cell phone and fucking policy. That said she has rights and among those rights is not to be railroaded by the prosecution which in this case it’s hard to tell if they are trying to help her with the indictment of “murder” for which she can be acquitted or throw her under the bus For a slam dunk conviction. Prosecutors are like basketball coaches. They need good stats to advance their careers. This prosecutor would have to work a lot harder to put a real criminal (not an idiot) behind bars.