NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I'm still holding out hope for a trade down situation. Originally Posted by bigtex
Me also ...Draft is deep in talent and Texans have so many needs
In simple terms I hope you both can understand. There is not enough value in the #1 pick to make up for the lost value in a very deep draft. NO team is going to give up a #2 round pick in this draft to move up because there will be so much talent available. There is no player like John Elway who could win you a Super Bowl by himself. Yet in this years draft there will be a lot of talent in the second and third rounds and no one is going to miss out on it for one player even if it is Clowney Originally Posted by BigLouie
We are so fortunate to have in the Eccie Sandbox the only person in the entire country (actually in all of mankind) who fully understands the draft strategy of all 32 NFL franchises. BL is the ultimate insiders, insider! C'mon BL, share with us who the Texans will take with their 7th round draft pick. I can take that insiders info to Vegas and come home a very rich man!

Thanks BL for sharing all of your expertise!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-OHkc57DD9I
Jiff nailed his pro day. He's Ultra Premium. Word has it Belichek wants to trade up to #1 to get him.
Jiff nailed his pro day. He's Ultra Premium. Word has it Belichek wants to trade up to #1 to get him. Originally Posted by bambino
LOL what are they going to trade . Bwhahahahaha
Jiff nailed his pro day. He's Ultra Premium. Word has it Belichek wants to trade up to #1 to get him. Originally Posted by bambino
Impressive, but I thought Jiff was a little shaky on the last leg of the skateboard drill. Due to his lack of endurance on that one particular drill, his overall score went from a 10 to a 8 1/2. At least in my book!

I wouldn't use the #1 on him but if he is still available at #33, I believe the "media" should think long and hard. Woof!

Now that we know it is the "media" making the actual draft day decisions, I am still holding out hope they will allow the Texans to consider trading down with the #1 pick, which would give us additional draft choices.
Impressive, but I thought Jiff was a little shaky on the last leg of the skateboard drill. Due to his lack of endurance on that one particular drill, his overall score went from a 10 to a 8 1/2. At least in my book!

I wouldn't use the #1 on him but if he is still available at #33, I believe the "media" should think long and hard. Woof!

Now that we know it is the "media" making the actual draft day decisions, I am still holding out hope they will allow the Texans to consider trading down with the #1 pick, which would give us additional draft choices. Originally Posted by bigtex
Jiff is fast becoming a Media darling and is shooting up the draft board. They love his "high motor" and his desire to please his coaches. He grades out much higher than Clowney in this area. I agree BT, his hips looked a little stiff on the skateboard. Clowney is more fluid in that drill. Where's BL? He hasn't weighed in on Jiff yet.
Where's BL? He hasn't weighed in on Jiff yet. Originally Posted by bambino
BL's waiting for The Media to give Jiff a grade. After all, The Media actually makes the decision of who will be drafted and when.
Just out, Jiff scored higher on the Wonderlic than BL, by a wide margin.
Just out, Jiff scored higher on the Wonderlic than BL, by a wide margin. Originally Posted by bambino
Do you really consider Jiff's 7-4 advantage to be a "wide margin?"
Do you really consider Jiff's 7-4 advantage to be a "wide margin?" Originally Posted by bigtex
Wide enough, considering BL's not a Pomerianin.
Wide enough, considering BL's not a Pomerianin. Originally Posted by bambino
Point well taken!
Three more fucking weeks of this shit. We should be arguing about what a big mistake the Texans made by now.
Speculation is rampant. One report I heard this morning had JFF falling to late 1st rd and the Texans taking Greg Robinson #1 overall. The only winner in delaying the draft a month is the NFL...and the sports writers...and the sports bars come draft day.

John McClain has so many different mock drafts he'll be able to say he predicted whatever outcome ensues(He's admitted as much).

May 8th can't get here quick enough.
Texans, while they desperately want to trade out of #1 according to all reports, will not be able to because no team will give up draft choices in a deep draft so they can pick someone with questions. The team would have to give up way too much value compared to what they will get in return. And if your whole draft is based on hoping someone does something stupid you are not going to have a good draft.

Personally I think Mack would be a better fit in our defense.
They're gonna skip Clowney for this guy
Charley Casserly said last week that in both of his #1 overall drafts with the Texans no offers were ever made to trade up. 2002 wasn't a great looking draft going in(pre draft). Although it did produce some good players it was a pretty shallow draft considering the amount of Pro Bowlers that came from it. 2006 was obviously the Mario, Reggie, Vince fiasco. Going in, a legitimate argument could be made for any of those three being a franchise #1 pick. Just so happens the Texans got it right.

Some analysis with the help of Wikipedia:
2002 -2010 drafts
2003 was the deepest with 12 pro bowl picks in rounds 4-7
2006 was second with 11
2009 was shallowest with 3
2002 & 2008 both had 4
other years were 7 or 8 so averages seem somewhat consistent with the sample.
Out of those 9 drafts the overall #1 has produced 5 pro bowlers. Jamarcus Russell and David Carr were the big busts. Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford are still starters in the League.
No trades were made by any team to move up to #1 in any of those drafts.
Technically, the New York Giants traded up for Eli(after the selection by San Diego) but that was a John Elway-esque brokered move made by Archie to place Eli in NY.

Since '96(Keyshawn Johnson) every #1 overall pick has been either a pass rusher, OT or QB.

This draft does appear to have more depth than weight at the top. If a trade were going to happen it obviously takes another team. So the question is, who has the need at a particular position that we don't that also is sure that their choice will be a sure thing?