NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I was getting a little cardio in at the gym yesterday watching ESPN(Media) Guess what? They were talking about teams trading up to get one of them ultra premium players that BL speaks of. Yep, even the Niners. Since the media is now talking about it, it must happen. And I thought it was our little secret. Originally Posted by bambino
It was "our little secret." It remained that way until we smoked BL out of the woodwork and forced him to reluctantly admit that the possibility of a trade was something more than "totally dead."

If the Texans do decide to trade down from the #1, I suspect that BL will then try to make the claim that he was wearing his GM hat all along and was merely sending out smokescreens hoping to divert the other NFL GM's attention.
Doing a lot of updates on computer today so have to use cell phone. Right now Atlanta is only one in conversation but the last time they pulled a big trade like this it left them with no depth when they needed it which killed them when people went down. I suspect they are still stinging from that and have to consider a further lack of depth if they pull this off which is why I think they pass.
The Niners have 6 of the top 100 picks. They also have a lot of picks in next years draft. Bowman tore his ACL, Aldon Smith is a head case, they may make an offer the Texans couldn't refuse.
Niners pick way too low for the Texans to consider for a first pick trade. I suspect they don't want to drop out of top 10
Niners pick way too low for the Texans to consider for a first pick trade. I suspect they don't want to drop out of top 10 Originally Posted by BigLouie
Maybe. The Niners have to keep pace with Seattles Ultra Premium roster.
After the Atlanta Falcons visited with Jadeveon Clowney for a second time last week, it was clear that the team was considering a move to the top of the NFL Draft Given that Thomas Dimitroff is the same general manager who traded up 21 picks to grab Julio Jones in 2011, it isn't hard to believe he'd attempt a jump from No. 6 to No. 1 to grab the top prospect in the draft.

But Monday brings the news that while the Falcons are considering moving up to No. 1 -- or anywhere within the top four, for that matter

Rapoport tweeted on Monday that the Falcons have not yet opened negotiations with the Houston Texans -- who are reportedly shopping the No. 1 pick
The notion that the Dallas Cowboys brain trust is enamored with Johnny Manziel isn't exactly new. The team interviewed him at the combine and there have been separate reports of both team owner Jerry Jones and his son and GM Stephen Jones fawning over the quarterback prospect
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/2...johnny-manziel
I just don't think Atlanta is going to pull the trigger to move up. They are picking #6 because the Jones trade left them short handed and now you are asking them to become even more short handed. Don't think so
I just don't think Atlanta is going to pull the trigger to move up. They are picking #6 because the Jones trade left them short handed and now you are asking them to become even more short handed. Don't think so Originally Posted by BigLouie
If Atlanta thinks very very highly of of Clowney then maybe they trade up thinking he could be the final piece they need to take them too the playoffs and becoming a legitimate contender
If Atlanta thinks very very highly of of Clowney then maybe they trade up thinking he could be the final piece they need to take them too the playoffs and becoming a legitimate contender Originally Posted by carkido45
Geeeeeeeez, let me make sure I've got all of this straight. In 7 short days, BL has dramatically shifted his position from "talk of a (Texans) trade out is totally dead" to "A (Texans) trade I could see happening."*

Huh? How in the hell did this abrupt change of direction occur?

Here I am trying to follow the bouncing ball on BL's draft radar and now the damn ball jumped right through my computer screen.* Originally Posted by bigtex
Give BL another day or two. He's already shown his fondness for changing his draft related opinions at the snap of finger.
Give BL another day or two. He's already shown his fondness for changing his draft related opinions at the snap of finger. Originally Posted by bigtex
He's been conspicuously mum on Jiff. He doesn't want to tip his hand on the ultra premium Pomeranian.
If Atlanta thinks very very highly of of Clowney then maybe they trade up thinking he could be the final piece they need to take them too the playoffs and becoming a legitimate contender Originally Posted by carkido45
When was the last time an NFL team drafted a defensive stud with the hope that said stud would "Take them to the playoffs and become a legitimate contender?" Ain't saying it has not occurred but I sure can't recall the occasion!
He's been conspicuously mum on Jiff. He doesn't want to tip his hand on the ultra premium Pomeranian. Originally Posted by bambino
It proves that BL is the consummate NFL Draft insider. They rarely tip their hand prior to the actual selection being made. Even with an Ultra Premium Player like Jiff! I am anxious to hear BL's remarks about Jiff once the 2014 NFL Draft is behind us.

Jiff's got talent!
I seriously doubt if they think he is the final piece. When they traded all those picks for Jones it left them with no depth and that's why they are picking 6th. They need to add that depth back to be a legitimate contender, not just one player.
I seriously doubt if they think he is the final piece. When they traded all those picks for Jones it left them with no depth and that's why they are picking 6th. They need to add that depth back to be a legitimate contender, not just one player. Originally Posted by BigLouie
There you have it folks, straight from the ultimate NFL Draft Insider. "I seriously doubt" is BL code words for they are trying desperately to work out a deal.

You have to read between the lines to understand BL's language!
I seriously doubt if they think he is the final piece. When they traded all those picks for Jones it left them with no depth and that's why they are picking 6th. They need to add that depth back to be a legitimate contender, not just one player. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Apparently CBS Sports Jason La Canfora did not compare notes with the ultimate NFL Draft expert, our very own BL.

Shame on you Jason, before submitting your reports for release, you first need to attain approval from BL.

From this morning's Bleacher Report:

The Houston Texans have been consistently linked to trading down in recent weeks, as they’d rather add draft picks and secure more value for later in Bill O’Brien’s first draft. But for all teams who look to trade down in the draft, finding a suitor who will mortgage its future draft picks for a single player is much easier said than done.

That being said, the Falcons seem like a perfect match. The Falcons have experience in making major trade-ups on draft day, giving up four picks to secure Julio Jones in the 2011 draft. They also have two main needs, offensive tackle and defensive end, and moving up for the best prospect at end in the past 10 years seems like the ideal way to fix that need.

And after the Falcons met with Jadeveon Clowney this past week, according to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, the persistent interest adds another layer to the Falcons' trade-up scenario coming true. While it’ll likely take the Falcons' first- and second-rounder this year and potentially a 2015 early-round pick, the Falcons could deem the trade worthy if they hope to get back into playoff contention.