NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Jacksonville will regret taking Bortles 3rd. EVERYONE and I mean pre-draft review said that he is a project and will take 2 years to develop. But you don't sit the third pick in the draft for 2 years, you start him. Just Blaine Gabbert 2. Originally Posted by BigLouie
They drafted 2 receivers, they're gearing up for Bortles. WTF do pre draft reviews mean? Nada. TB was the consensus #1 pick too. Bortles prolly won't carry the Jags into the playoffs like Luck did with the Colts. He'll be better than Gabbert. Bortles isn't a pussy.
Don't count on a Ryan trade. He has only one year left and then becomes free agent so they would only get a year out of him Originally Posted by BigLouie
They would simply extend his contract and they are talking to NE about the trade. I think Mallet would jump at the opputunity to start in Houston.
Never in my wildest dreams would I have believed the Texans would complete 3 rounds & 4 selections in the 2014 Draft and not have picked a QB. Bambino might be right, it could end up being Savage. A.J. & Mettenberger are also still on the board. But unless there is another trade up, they do not have another selection until late in the 4th round.

I have heard it said that you build a good team by starting first with the trenches. That seems to be the Texans philosophy!
it appears there is definitely a new sheriff in town. These are not typical Rick Smith picks. I suspect these are all BOB directed picks. I like them all. Also surprised that no QB has been taken yet. If they take one it will be with the late 4th round pick or they may trade up and take on and I think it will be Tom Savage. The picks seems to show that BOB doesn't give a shit what people think the Texans should take, he takes who he wants. This is pretty clear with the second day picks. The old Smith/Kubiak team would have taken a QB in the second round for sure.

The Rams have done a stunning job with the picks they acquired with the RGIII picks. This will put a damper on teams wanting to use a lot of picks for a first round move up as both Atlanta and Washington were left with a lack of depth that hurt them as a result.
The Texans aren't going to draft a QB. Remember where the new coach comes from. This is your next QB.

A tight end? Gee fucking whiz, they really don't know what the fuck they are doing. Originally Posted by spear88
The new Texans offense needs three tight ends and since Owen Daniel was let go that is why the Texans were looking at CJ Fiedorowics and took him
He is a big physical TE who can block and catch and will upgrade the position for the Texans and improve both the running game and passing game.
This years draft was not deep in Tight Ends so they got a good one right where they needed it . He had 6 TDs last year
  • Satin
  • 05-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Welcome to H-town QB Tom Savage....
Welcome to H-town QB Tom Savage.... Originally Posted by Satin
I like that pick. Great value for the position. You can forget the trade to New England, not going to happen. As Tom will not be much in salary cap he can sit a year and if he does not work out the cost to the team will be minimal. If he works out great then we get great value for the position just as the Seahawks did with Wilson.
BigLouie, you were right. The Texans can't make a draft deal. First pick of the Day 1 and Day 2 and nothing. Has Rick Smith made any significant draft day trades?

In other news, BigTex is happy that Michael Sam fell into his lap at the Texan Draft Day party. The Texans didn't draft him, "Big" Sam just fell into BigTex's lap! "Nice chinrest" was overheard.

I like that pick. Great value for the position. You can forget the trade to New England, not going to happen. As Tom will not be much in salary cap he can sit a year and if he does not work out the cost to the team will be minimal. If he works out great then we get great value for the position just as the Seahawks did with Wilson. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Didn't you call Savage a quiter? Now you like him. I had an inkling BOB liked him. He played behind a terrible OL at Pitt. He was spitting blood one game but wouldn't come out. He's a big, tough kid with a cannon. Wouldn't suprise me if he ends up starting sometime soon. Texans had a really good draft. Indy didn't improve much. They might be back in the playoffs next year.
That dude is trash
The Texans aren't going to draft a QB. Remember where the new coach comes from. This is your next QB.

Originally Posted by oilfieldscum
Watched him play at Arkansas. He does not play well under pressure. Makes super hard throws when he panics.

Definitely not a moving target either.
That dude is trash Originally Posted by jstone420
Yeah? What does that make you?
Tom was not a good pick in the first and second round but in the 4th round it is a good value pick.
I'm not much of a fan of his reporting, but the old fucker is hilarious!

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ge/#23243101=0