NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

• Satin
  • 12-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Damn boys I'm not sure I understand the logic of why we have to wait to have a discussion about Mario....it's just a discussion and this is a "discussion board"..right? But the main reason is just to have something different to talk about than Dopey...but ok....I digress......

Damn, after finally meeting the pretty boy himself last night, I finally lured the Duderator back to the thread (good to meet you bro)....

The Bengals offense is ranked #18 in the nfl. The defense is ranked:
#14 in points -20.8 ppg
#6 in total yards - 306.7 ypg
# 10 in pass yards - 210.3 ypg
#6 in rush yards - 96.3 rypg

Dalton has a 81.6 QB rating, 59.2% completion percentage, 17 TD's, sacked 19 times & 12 interceptions.
Well Shit fellers... Ur disappointing me.. There are several reasons why the Texans will win this game.. on what grounds can u predict a loss?? Like I said last week ATL was our toughest game down the stretch... That match up was dead even but we still won with even with TJ...
I love ESPN and NFL network as well... but I take their predictions with a grain of salt... come on man... ya'll know these guys are Cowgirl fans.. AND no matter often Texans prove them wrong..
---So, I ask....Why all the love to Cincy????

---weather issue??? nope sunny in the 40's
---Big Cincy crowd??
nope Hell,, most wont even see the game in Cincy as attendence avg is the lowest in the league.... Hell, is one of the biggest games in the NFL but still a BLACKOUT... I guess they don't like football too much there huh?
...Through five home games, the Bengals are averaging a league-low 49,619 fans, which is 75.7 percent of capacity at Paul Brown Stadium.
GotDamn maybe we should go.. Lets turn this into a HOME GAME.... hehehe
Big game??? yes.... very BIG...BIGGEST IN FRANSHISE HIST (i think we are too harsh though.. since Football in H-Town is not Historically Clutch))) but come on man this ain't choke city..lighten up!

MATCHUPS A PROBLEM???? uh no we DOMINATE ALL ACROSS THE BOARD

OFFENSE:

Total Yards Per Game
Texans 376.2
Bengals 326.1
Passing Yards Per Game
Texans 223.6
Bengals 218.0
Rush Yards Per Game
Texans 152.6
Bengals 108.1
Points Per Game
Texans 25.8
Bengals 22.2
Third Down Conversion %
Texans 43.4
Bengals 36.0
Time of Possession
Texans 2009.0
Bengals 1822.0

DEFENSE:

Total Yards Per Game Allowed
Texans 274.1
Bengals 306.7
Passing Yards Per Game Allowed
Texans 183.4
Bengals 210.3
Rush Yards Per Game Allowed
Texans 90.7
Bengals 96.3
Points Per Game Allowed
Texans 15.8
Bengals 20.8
Third Down Conversion % Allowed
Texans 31.8
Bengals 35.4

WHY BATTLE OF THE HOUSTON ROOKS?? Andy Dalton born and raised in KATY TX.. one of our own...and another reason why he will really want this one.... u scared???

Daddio... no snatch pic for you,,, Cincy 17 Texans 10 ???? WTF??? what reasoning???? your being punished

Satin... u hinted that your more worried bout this game than the last... why?? I don't get it... and as I was building my predictions and stats U beat me to the punch.... were u looking over my shoulder??...hehehe .. can't get enough...

===you 2 do think a like... BTW.. its kind of weird

One-Eyed Willy comming out party....hehehe...
For you other like minds interested and want to blow off the predictions of the natl. sports networks (the fucks all voted ATL last week)... Do what I do and get your info at the source (there is more of it and not just a small run down..)
key pages I go to are:
-NFL.com (under stats)
-Texans.com Press release here is the release for wk14.. there is a small link to a 75-100page PDF under the GameDay section.. (released every Thurs) or Follow on Twitter @ twitter.com/#!/TexansPR
Check out the PRO BOWL worthy page as we may have 6 probowlers this year.. hell yeah!!... no BT not Schaub
-other than that.. I get emails from texans.com and bleacher reports..
-I also follow many of the players on twitter as well...
-Local press has usually has the best info.. check SpotsRadio610 on the net when not for shit u miss when not in the car.. BT...ur brother-in-law is on every monday... as well as Kubes...Other players are always calling in as well... Also, recently Hou Chronicles John McClain(who has always been critical of the TXNS) has an interview and states the TEXANS SHOULD WIN OUT!!!
-Best way to watch a game--- mute TV & crank it up on the stereo.

Mario?? love em... but if it cap was an issue and it came between he and Foster.... uh u know who I say goes...and BTW Coach Kubes is up for an extension as well... he sux at Defense but is great for Offense. He and Wade make a powerful combination... If they both stay,,,I really like our SB chances for the future.. no matter who is our QB..
WHAT TO WATCH/GAME NOTES
ARIAN (BOW BACK AND PAY THE MAN) FOSTER
• Needs 84 yards to reach 1,000 for the second consecutive season and*join Domanick Williams as the only running backs to record multiple*1,000-year seasons in Texans history.
• Needs 4 yards from scrimmage to reach 4,000 for his career. He has*2,789 career rushing yards and 1,207 receiving yards.
• Can rush for a touchdown for the seventh consecutive game to extend*his franchise record.
• Can rush for 100 or more yards for the sixth time this season.
• Has 14 career 100-yard games and five this season.

--Looks Like Dre Day will not happen this week...
--Nice Video Contribution to Wade Phillps: Wade's World
--NFL Films Preview of wk14 Texans @ Cissynatty
--Nice Breakdown of the naked by Solomon Wilcots in X-Facor
I'd say if Dre was playing, it would be the Texans game to lose. But since he's not, I don't think either team should be favored, and that it should be a pick'em. That said, I don't see Wade losing to a Rookie, also, Leon Hall is OUT. and JOSEPH makes his return. But like I mentioned, our offense might be kinda staging with TJ's first start on the road with no Dre, Walters and Jones are going to have to step up, which I think they can do. This game might be like old people sex, slow and sloppy.

But do you guys remember that game we had against them the last time we played? It was one of the few times in my life that I was LOL'ING during a game, they were a solid team, and we were just decent, BUT WE FUCKING KILLED THEM, it was hilarious! Dre took the ball for a TD on the very first play on a screen pass, it was a strange game..

And I don't pay any mind to the analysts doubting the team, if you were on the outside looking in, you'd probably do the same. There's almost no upside on a team with a 3rd string guy, but people outside the Texans' circle don't know that it's different with this team.

@ Satin. The reason I don't want to give a definitive opinion on Mario is because I still want to see more of Brooks Reed. Yes, I said it. I want to see MOAR. How big is this dude's potential? The guy is clearly a beast. But can he take his game to an All-Pro type level, if so, I don't see why we'd keep Mario..
@ Satin. The reason I don't want to give a definitive opinion on Mario is because I still want to see more of Brooks Reed. Yes, I said it. I want to see MOAR. How big is this dude's potential? The guy is clearly a beast. But can he take his game to an All-Pro type level, if so, I don't see why we'd keep Mario.. Originally Posted by Don91
I agree with much of what you said. Brooks Reed has filled in admirably and is a primary reason the defense has continued to play at a high level, despite losing a starter who has been to the Pro Bowl several times. What if Brooks Reed goes down? What then? There would be a severe drop off at a critical position. If for no other reason than Mario's versatility, he is worth a lot to the Texans and also on the open market. Mario has the strength, speed and ability to effectively play DE in the 4-3 (I would argue that he could also play DT in the 4-3) and OLB or DE in the 3-4.

To the greatest degree possible, Mario has the ability to play at a high level, even when hurt! He is a rare commodity to have at a coach's disposal. With the number of serious injuries the Texans have seen this year, we should know as well as any team that durability and versatility are primary considerations.

I would keep him unless a desperate team blew my socks off with an offer I couldn't refuse. But it would have to be very good!

Now let's get back to talkin' about my gf's brother being a Top 10 NFL QB!
The fact is Mario is going to want Pepper money and someone will pay him that..... I say either franchise him and trade him or let him go and settle for your compensatory pick...... for being the beast he is, he has ZERO pass rush Skill.... meaning he has no stratagy, no real "moves" and no creativity.... he is bull rush w/a little speed when he chooses to want to put forth effort (which is not nearly often enough)...... sadly without all that he is still maybe in the top 10 pass rushers.... if he ever really wanted to figure it out he could be top 2-3..... but he's not worth the ticket he's gonna want......

As far as this weekend goes..... I would love to see a lot of 3TE sets and run passing games out of run sets..... Kubiak is patient enough to grind it out against a good D like Cincy and hopefully the Texans D can put Dalton in some tough spots to cause him to stay uncomfortable....... I'm thinking somewhere in the 17-13 Texans here......

JaD
  • Satin
  • 12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
It's funny cause you guys were advocating waiting on a discussion about Mario, but the comments you made were exactly the kind of things I was looking for. Just a discussion, not necessarily a definite decision on what to do with him. Very nice points. I say with the kind of money he's gonna want, I think if we can get other players at key positions, let him go. Reid has held his own and if we're number 1 in defense, can he really make us better? I agree with the dude, his pass rush skills suck. I have always felt he was overrated, for a #1 pick.

Cat-Man, I won't go as far as to predict a loss like my twin brother Daddio, but this game just concerns me. After looking at your expounded stats, I do feel better....so thank you.

BT, I'm glad you can laugh at yourself now bro and realize how ridiculous it is what you've been saying about Dopey. Best post you've ever made...lol
BT, I'm glad you can laugh at yourself now bro and realize how ridiculous it is what you've been saying about Dopey. Best post you've ever made...lol Originally Posted by Satin
The ones who would be considered "ridiculous" are the Schaub haters who are salivating over a rookie 5th round draft choice who spent the first 9 weeks of this season on the taxi squad. He has only been on the active roster for two weeks and has now started one NFL game. He went 12-25/185 yards, 17 points, and an 85 qb rating in his only start.

In doing so they ignore the fact that the starter they hate so much was the Pro Bowl MVP in 2009 and has twice thrown for over 4300 yards in a season. In 2011 he had a 10+ game qb rating of over 96 that ranked 5th in the entire NFL at the time of his season ending injury. He was the acknowledged leader of a team that averaged 27+ points per game for the first 10 games of 2011. For the past 4 years he has an average qb rating of 95 and has thrown 83 TD passes and only 43 interceptions. He has also been widely recognized as a Top 10 NFL quarterback for the past 4-5 seasons.

With that said, the rookie did a commendable job under adverse conditions. He managed the offense quite well (not as good as Schaub but as well as can be expected). TJ did not make many mistakes and performed well enough to lead the Texans to a narrow victory with the help of a strong performance by the defense. TJ seems to have a good arm, has good pocket presence and should be a strong candidate to be the #1 backup to Schaub in 2012. I will admit I already like TJ better than Leinart.

Bottom line: Win, lose or draw, if Schaub would have gone 12/25, 17 points and an 85 qb rating against Atlanta, the haters would have been circling the wagons, trying to get Schaub's scalp. Instead the haters are salivating over a freakin' rookie, drafted in the 5th round, who is barely out of diapers!

I suppose it goes to show the haters have different standards depending upon who the quarterback happens to be. The Schaub haters are not only "ridiculous" but they are so "ridiculous" that they are entertaining!

On a side note, it is much more fun to discuss my gf's brother than Mario!
Bengals are 1-5 against teams with winning records... Who did they beat??? Titans (before CJ finally came out to play).....just sayin.

thoughts??

and BT i like previous post.. I agree bout Schaub but think he still has much to prove(W's).. but like is said if there is a Better(keyword) QB than Schaub avail.. replace him if not keep him....
As for me I'm not so much salivating over the rook.. just proud of him for hanging tough and not playing scared with the likes of Gabbert in Jax...
...Having another QB intrigues me.. I'm anxious to see what he can bring...
He's our #1 QB for the time being and I back him for that reason.. (I trust Kubes)...
'the kid looks good throwin the ball too.. see:.. good form!

• Trey
  • 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Mario is gone next year for sure if we can trade him that would be best. I think we could get a top player as trade for him.

This game is a big deal so I hope we pull it off without dre I do worry if tj can get the ball to Jones who I really hate, he pretty much sucks. Next year we need to look for some new WR as Andre seems to have blown both wheels this year. Sucks, I really like the guy he seems like a good person. I say we win this one and take the division. Since I stopped mixing the koolaid with my vodka been getting all kinds of drunk. So texans 28-10.
So texans 28-10. Originally Posted by trey
I hope you're right but I see a very close game, probably in the neighborhood of 20-17. Who wins depends on which rookie qb has the best game.
Yeah, I don't see a blowout in this game, if either team gets near a double digit lead at some point, I'm expecting very conservative play call. I got the Texans winning 19-16 in a fucked game.
Revised prediction(and yes I decided to revise the prediction before the punishment laid down by the commish, One Eyed Willy). Texans 20 Bengals 17. Now come on commish, give me a booty shot of a Texan cheerleader.

Belief in tj caused the revision. Although no Andre, terrible Turk punting, pissed off bengals, all worry me. D will need a pick 6, or jacoby will need to "snatch" a td. Believe me, I will be rooting for "SNATCH"!!!!!
BT i like previous post.. I agree bout Schaub but think he still has much to prove(W's).. but like is said if there is a Better(keyword) QB than Schaub avail.. replace him if not keep him.... Originally Posted by One-Eyed Willy
Thanks for the compliments! You now run the risk of having the haters coming down on you!

Welcome to the club!

I agree with The Commish, Schaub needs to prove he can win over the long haul. He was certainly moving in that direction this year (7-3) when he went down. If Schaub can come back in 2012 and continue to build on the 2011 won/loss record it could put him in another stratosphere! It remains to be seen whether Schaub can and/or will continue to build on this years wins!

Mario is gone next year for sure if we can trade him that would be best. I think we could get a top player as trade for him. Originally Posted by trey
Unless you are privy to information that the rest of us are not, I do not know how you can say that "Mario is gone next year for sure!" All the Texans have to do is place the franchise tag on him and Mario belongs to the team for another year. No ifs, ands or buts! A trade would certainly be a possibility but I believe it is highly unlikely. I predict that Mario will be a Texan again next year unless (for example) Arizona would be willing to part with Larry Fitzgerald!

Please Note: I used Fitzgerald only as an example. I do not want Donnie to accuse the "dunderhead" of having visions of sugarplums dancing around in his head!

Revised prediction(and yes I decided to revise the prediction before the punishment laid down by the commish, One Eyed Willy). Texans 20 Bengals 17. Originally Posted by Daddio

I decided to revise as well. It dawned on me that to just say the team that wins will be the one whose rookie qb plays best was somewhat of a cop out. I am going to revise my prediction to agree with Dude Daddio, Houston 20-Cincy 17. With that said, I have a strong feeling that (rookie) Dalton will outplay (rookie) TJ. I hope it is only slightly! If so, we should leave Cincy with what might end up being the biggest win in team history! Yee Haw!!!!!
There U go fellers!!!

I like the predictions (new and revised)... Low score?? yeah maybe (my original thought as well)... but based on what PIT did to them last week as they really needed that game too,... I'm hoping it will be more lop-sided... But we'll see...

BT.. aka dunderhead... I NEVER STATED I DIDN'T LIKE SCHAUB!.. and I am well aware of his stats!! Gotdamnit don't you remember the talks of Dre Finegering Schaub haters when they told him what they thought of his best buddy...I haven't swayed a bit from that... But don't care to dwell on it either. So NOW I am welcome to see what TJ can do in Kubes offense...AND if this guy leads us to the promiseland then Schaub can kick rocks!!, if we go deep in the playoffs, let them battle for it!! But please, rather than dwell on what could have been, come back to the conversation!!!... and I'm sorry to hear about Coach Sumlin..(makes me wonder if it had something to do with the Coogs not bringing their A-Game to the Conference Champ game..)... Regardless, I still think there is a great future in-store for Coog football...And back the the Texans: Remember dude, Schaub is not the only Texan...The entire team is playing great right now.. AND I want Mario back but would rather see a tag on Foster.. (Reed is good but I think Mario is better) Its definately a worthy discussion as you mentioned regarding who else will be available..However, don't forget about depth.. If Mario goes and Reed gets on IR, then who is next???...
Anyway...Hopefully a win here help will restore your SB hopes...

For those that don't know, Mario will be an Unrestricted Free Agent nxt yr with no obligation of returning to the Texans and the trade deadline passed already..

BTW.. if it ended now would play Cincy in a WC game.. so I'm considering this a preview of how they'd do... Pressure is on for both teams... Who will prosper? Who will fold?

Trey,,, I love your score!... But disagree about Jacoby (he sux???).. Sure he's no Dre, but he has been improving lately and is helping to put some points on the board(remember his 80yrd TD? to kick start the TB beat down?) He also has more punt return yards than Devin Hester (remember his 79yrd return vs Indy??)...I love that we introduced Indy to their worst ever season BTW..(Jabba-the-Hut laugh)..hehehe...hahahahaaa... . .Anyway I like Rock-N-Roll Jacoby Jones (I still have that pic of him flipping into the endzone in my wallpaper cycles) ... .. He may seem too playful or arrogant for some but is actually a great humanitarian(giving back to NO).. I agree that he does need to continue to step up though @ WR(more with his routes as he seems pretty sure handed)....
Really, the bigger question mark I see @ WR is MASON... Don't tell anybody but the guy is secretly having a HOF-caliber career(less SB wins)... But where has HE been?.. I thought he was going to be the main guy at the X in Dre's absence...??? ....But maybe he just aint part of the game-plan anymore but I question him more than Jacoby...

as for our Defense.. I'm rooting for the Ninja to get another sack or 3..

...Satin,I agree what you said about sacks being over-rated,,,but I want to see this guy in the Pro Bowl and more sacks will help get him there!...He was all over Ryan last week and is having a hell of a year...

JAD.... I agree... 3TE sets and run passing games out of run sets.... I know what u mean and it sounds good to me.. I'm also wondering if Kubes will mix in a little wildcat again on 3rd and shorts... I tried to snatch a pic of Foster in the wildcat at last week's game but it came and went before I could...

And OK daddio... Ur appeal is granted....punishment lifted...hehehe....here U go!