NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

• Satin
  • 07-28-2014, 08:58 AM
What just happened here?

69Mustang, I have just one word for you man.....

EXACTLY!!!!
8-8 might win the division!! I saw Vegas had us with the third best chance to win the division. They had the Titans ahead of us.
Anybody who thinks this Texans team is gonna go 10-6 is delusional. 8-8 is even out of the question. Until I see any evidence that this new head coach has any clue as to how to run a NFL team, I am going to expect a 5-11 season. Why? Cushing is done. JJ won't get any help on the line. The Texans have no interior LBs without Cush. There is a void at QB. RB has turned into a pussy on the field. WRs and TEs need a QB to throw to them. And we still have an Aggie PK. Basically, we have one good OL, one good DL, one good WR. And an unproven head coach. Yeah, CHAMPIONSHIP! Originally Posted by 69Mustang
*Ahem*.

Teams have to play the games. They have a saying in the NFL: "Any Given Sunday". As in, "On any given sunday, any team could beat another team,".

It's one of the things I love about the NFL; relative parity. A concept that's demonstrated to be true in the fact that every year, teams that were at the top of the league slide to the bottom, and teams that were at the bottom rise to the top.

Granted, there are some perennial losers like the Browns and the Jaguars, but that is more due to mismanagement, poor drafting, poor coaching, and crappy contracts management more than anything else.

Add into that injuries that couldn't possibly be predicted, and you have a recipe for 'anything could happen'.

That said, the team I love, the Texans, were a poor, 2-14 football team last year, despite being predicted as Superb Owl candidates by most pundits. But many things have changed since then.

The Texans no longer have a coach who, despite being incredibly popular and a 'quarterback guru', trotted out a predictable offense year after year. I liked Kubiak, but if I saw that draw play on third down one more time, I was going to shoot somebody.

While 'The Chin' is as yet untested as a head coach on the NFL level, his college record has him taking a quarterback no-one thought much of and turning him into something that actually got draft buzz.

Another key point is that the Texans no longer have the current record holder for most consecutive games with a pick-six thrown operating under center. They somehow managed to trade this former pro-bowl, 4000 yd passer for an actual draft pick. Which in and of itself is a miracle.

Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the replacement, and he's been known to throw a pick or two himself, BUT! - Fitzpatrick has spent most of his career with the Buffalo Bills and the Tennessee Titans - neither of whom are known as world-beaters, if you know what I mean.

I'm not saying you're absolutely wrong - but I do think it's a little early to be making predictions - we haven't even seen them in pre-season action yet!
The Injury prone argument is total bullshit too. Injuries happen, predicting them is impossible.

The healthier teams at the end of the year are usually the top performing teams. Fuck that sounds like something Clyde Drexler or Alan Ashby would say!!! I will shut up now for a while!!! LOL.
  • Satin
  • 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Yep, speaking of injuries, Baby-Maker "tweaks" his hammy already. AJ catches a great pass and comes up gimpy. Both sit out. Here we go.....
It's a good thing we had a great group of guys from last year's draft class!
The Injury prone argument is total bullshit too. Injuries happen, predicting them is impossible.......... Originally Posted by Daddio
I think you missed the point on this statement, my friend. Sad fact is, some players are snakebitten with the Curse of the reoccurring injury - Cushing on your team and the tight end for the fucktard Pats, 'Gronkoski' (may be misspelled)!

Sidebar: setting aside our differences of opinions, kudos to OP Satin for starting this great thread many moons ago, now getting close to a quarter million views! Awesome!
No no no can you honestly say that this guy or that guy will be injured this year???
Will you put your money on it?

I like the way the coach says it's no big deal, there asses will be out there again soon. Everybody in the nfl gets nicked up, it's the tough minded well coached teams that suck it up and play hard for their coach, not pussy out like almost the whole damn team did last year for Kuntiak?
No, Daddio, not saying predictions are possible but I maintain that some poor souls are cursed with the injury 'bug' and Cush and Gronk are front and center, I fear. I don't wish it to happen but.......
Solemate,you are right on. Look at SEAN LEE of the dallas cowboys,he is a pro-bowl player,and one of the best young linebackers in football,but has never played 16 games,since he been in the league.Satin is right on,when he said "injurys are the biggest determinator,that seperates the good teams from the bad.We will all see where we stand after the 3rd preseason game....
Running back story...now that baby daddy hurt

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...bcs&ocid=yahoo
Running back story...now that baby daddy hurt

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...bcs&ocid=yahoo Originally Posted by oilfieldscum
The time of the overpaid running back is rapidly coming to an end, in large part due to the fact that the position itself is one where injury is highly likely to happen.

GMs are loathe to throw big bucks at these guys when it is conventional wisdom that workhorse running backs will rarely stay healthy all season.

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall running backs being more durable in the past - or at least seeming so.

Looking at it, I have to wonder if the declining usage of full backs in the NFL is leading to more injuries at the running back position.

Perhaps with a 'road grader' full back you could mitigate the injury risk, and thus extend running back shelf lives?

I understand the desire to move away from the 'I' formation, given that it allows you to put an extra receiver or blocker on the field and perhaps disguise the play more effectively, but perhaps the answer to that is to get a talented tight end/full back with hands who can grade the road OR act as a receiving threat, and run everything out of the base I unless you are going 5 wide and pulling a Rex Grossman.....

What do you guys think? They say everything in football is cyclical: Given that teams are out of practice combatting the I, would now be the time to bring such a strategy back to the field?

Teams seem to be built with an emphasis on stopping the pass, now more than ever: cornerbacks have never been more highly paid, and pundits are always worried about the linebacking corps' ability to rush the passer as opposed to stuffing the run....

Could the 'I' or a modified 'I' rise again? (Assuming the right personnel).
  • Satin
  • 07-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Frag, very well said man. RB's are not valued as much these days for several reasons. 2 being: most teams are utilizing the "running back by committee" system instead of just one main workhorse. The other being simply that the NFL has evolved to more of a passing league. The stats QB's put up now are insane.

RB's do seem to get hurt more now, not sure why. All the top backs have injury history (Peterson, Charles, McCoy, ect ) and their production seems to drop.

I also agree with Solemate on some players unfortunately being more injury-prone. I hope they stay healthy but just don't think Baby-Maker or Cush will make the full season. (Thx Solemate btw, it's getting up there now)....

As far as defense, I'm eager to see what Clowney will do. He's already a bit banged up end learning to play 'standing up', instead of with his hand in the dirt. He has to drop back in zone pass coverage now. I don't see him living up to #1 pick status, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think our WR core will do well. I hope RF can get them the ball effectively, especially in red zone situations. We sucked in that area last year.
1. Frag, very well said man.

2. As far as defense, I'm eager to see what Clowney will do.

3. I think our WR core will do well. I hope RF can get them the ball effectively, especially in red zone situations. We sucked in that area last year. Originally Posted by Satin
1. Thanks.

2. Ask and ye shall receive : http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/...n-from-injury/

It's just a flash, but it makes me a little giddy. Must have watched it 10 times back to back.

3. Johnson and Hopkins are quality. Between Posey, EZ and Labhart, I think we can find a slot receiver and be pretty set at the WR position.

If there *is* one piece of good news about Fitzy, it's that he is absolutely *lights-out* in the RZ. His problems tend to pop up in the other areas of the field.

The running game between the 20s had better be a strength this season, as relying on Fitz in that area could cause some serious pick deja vu.
We will go as far as Fitzmagic can take us,
He's been in the NFL for 10 , count em,
10 years..... He is like; Brady, Rothensburger,
Manning, ????? Laughable... He hasn't done
Squat in 10 yr's oh i forgot Coach O'Brien
Is. QB expert.... Im trying to have faith
But the kool aid is tasting bad....