NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

You keep saying his round like it means anything. Schaub was a 3rd round. Leinart was a first. Foster was undrafted. A pro is a pro. Originally Posted by Blackbuddy05
It is because there is not much expected of a 5th round qb in the NFL. Historically, very few qbs drafted in the 5th round are given the opportunity to be the starting qb for a playoff caliber team in the NFL. More often than not, qbs picked in the 5th round simply do not have the talent to succeed in the NFL. Perhaps TJ will be the exception to the rule. I hope so! Tom Brady was certainly one who slipped through the cracks but those who do are few and far between.

Don't try to read any more into it than that, cuz' there was nothing else intended.

At the end of the day, TJ is a rookie qb drafted in the 5th round. Is he not? At the risk of repeating myself from my last post. TJ is doing a pretty damn good job filling in for Schaub! (Especially for a rookie qb drafted in the 5th round!)

Do you have any other concerns that I can help you with?
  • Satin
  • 12-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Uh, actually BT, the seedings I posted are correct and you are wrong again. If you do some research, you will understand the criteria of how the seedings for the playoffs are done...and it's not based purely on record...

Denver is currently seeded ahead of Pittsburgh because they are leading their division. So the seedings are based on a variety of tie-breaker factors in order of importance. Once you research it and educate yourself, you will see what I mean. The seedings are also based on right now if the playoffs started today.

Cat-Man maybe you can jump in and help him out, since he tends to believe you more than anyone else....

PS: Let me throw you a bone and help you out. Just read this: www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
(click on "tiebreaker explanation")
I'm really starting to think bigtex is Schaub.
Well now the NBA lockout is over too... Yay! ^_^
Uh, actually BT, the seedings I posted are correct and you are wrong again. If you do some research, you will understand the criteria of how the seedings for the playoffs are done...and it's not based purely on record...

Denver is currently seeded ahead of Pittsburgh because they are leading their division. So the seedings are based on a variety of tie-breaker factors in order of importance. Once you research it and educate yourself, you will see what I mean. The seedings are also based on right now if the playoffs started today.

Cat-Man maybe you can jump in and help him out, since he tends to believe you more than anyone else....

PS: Let me throw you a bone and help you out. Just read this: www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
(click on "tiebreaker explanation") Originally Posted by Satin
Yup everything U said is correct..
Slots 1-4 all go to division winners...and BAL and PIT are in the same division AND HUGE DIVISION RIVALS... BAL is 4-0 in division (beating PIT twice..) TOP 4 SPOTS ALWAYS GO TO DIV WINNERS.... and DEN lead their div that why they are 4.. PIT is the top WC seed...and with very high probability remain at that #5 spot

I look the regular season being a tournament to get the best seed..

New tie-breaking procedures and division re-alignment came along with the birth of the Texans... The shit can get real complicated and can even go into previous seasons, but at least there is a procedure and not "voters."

Basically team goals (other than w every week) are:
#1 division: win division, host playoff game end-of-story.(a 6-10 team can get in and host WC if 6-0 in div)-doubt it will ever happen though.

#2 conference: more conference wins gets you better spot but a non-division-winner will never override an actual-division-winner

Satin's link is better if you want explanation on current picture

If u want the rules in all their complexity: here u go
I'd be really pissed of tonight if the Texans hadn't won. The Fucking Cowboys cost me a shit load of $$$ SMH. I blame the fat bastard Rob Ryan, up 12 with 5 minutes, You don't just go with a gotdamn prevent, that fucking ware-wolf.

Loss 10 Team Parlay

Win12/11/11 1:00pm NFL Football 107 Houston Texans +130* vs Cincinnati Bengals
Win12/11/11 4:15pm NFL Football 110 Green Bay Packers -11 -130* vs Oakland Raiders
Win12/11/11 1:00pm NFL Football 112 New York Jets -600* vs Kansas City Chiefs
Win12/11/11 1:00pm NFL Football 114 Detroit Lions -500* vs Minnesota Vikings
Win12/11/11 1:00pm NFL Football 117 Philadelphia Eagles +130* vs Miami Dolphins
Win12/11/11 1:00pm NFL Football 119 New England Patriots -390* vs Washington Redskins
Win12/11/11 4:05pm NFL Football 126 Arizona Cardinals +9 -280* vs San Francisco 49ers
Win12/11/11 4:05pm NFL Football 127 Chicago Bears +9 -325* vs Denver Broncos
Win12/11/11 4:15pm NFL Football 130 San Diego Chargers -340* vs Buffalo Bills
Loss12/11/11 8:30pm NFL Football 132 Dallas Cowboys -4 -120* vs New York Giants
Uh, actually BT, the seedings I posted are correct and you are wrong again. If you do some research, you will understand the criteria of how the seedings for the playoffs are done...and it's not based purely on record... Originally Posted by Satin
My bad! I completely overlooked the will card aspect!

Let's just call it a senior moment!

I'm really starting to think bigtex is Schaub. Originally Posted by Blackbuddy05
I am glad you are at least starting to "think" occasionally. It is certainly a step in the right direction! There is hope for you yet!

BT is Scahub? Hmmmmmmmm! I'll be more than happy to do it provided you can arrange for me to have the annual salary that goes along with it. Yowza!

I'm a Schaub hater. There I said it. Originally Posted by Blackbuddy05
Now if we could just get you to stop boasting about your hatred of Schaub.

I suppose I shouldn't pass judgement because your hatred would be understandable if for example, Schaub has stolen from you or has been bangin' your gf. If it is the latter, it is probably an excellent decision on her part! But at least your hatred itself would be understandable.

Otherwise, if you're guilty of hating just for the sake of childish jealousy, there is really no excuse for it!
At the end of the day, TJ is a rookie qb drafted in the 5th round. Is he not? At the risk of repeating myself from my last post. TJ is doing a pretty damn good job filling in for Schaub! (Especially for a rookie qb drafted in the 5th round!)
Originally Posted by bigtex
Some notable 5th round or later QB's:

Marc Bulger - 6th Round 2000
Tom Brady - 6th Round 2000
Matt Cassell - 7th Round 2005
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th Round 1998
Tony Romo - Undrafted 2003
Ryan Fitzpatrick 7th Round 2005

Some notable high round QB busts:

David Carr - 1st Round (1st overall) 2000
Cade McNown - 1st Round 1999
Joey Harrington - 1st Round 2002
Akili Smith - 1st round 1999
Tim Couch - 1st Round 1999
Ryan Leaf - 1st Round 1998
Jemarcus Russell - 1st Round 2007
Giovanni Carmazzi - 1st Round 2000
Joey Harrington - 1st Round 2002

Draft position isn't everything. I have to agree with BB in that, "A pro is a pro."
Some notable 5th round or later QB's:

Marc Bulger - 6th Round 2000
Tom Brady - 6th Round 2000
Matt Cassell - 7th Round 2005
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th Round 1998
Tony Romo - Undrafted 2003
Ryan Fitzpatrick 7th Round 2005

I have to agree with BB in that, "A pro is a pro." Originally Posted by Rubchasertx
I would also agree with BB, "a pro is a pro." Where I differ from BB is that I feel it is rather immature to proudly proclaim to "hate" an individual due to what is apparently childish jealousies!

Great list of those who made it despite being a lower round draft choice. Why did you leave off Johnny Unitas? Is he not considered "notable?" I would compile a list of all of the 5th, 6th and 7th round QB's who never started an NFL game but the ECCIE owners may not have the bandwidth to accommodate the post!

Just sayin
  • Satin
  • 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Excellent points...especially Cat-Man, Blackbuddy and Rubchaser...my sentiments exactly...

We even have another lady chiming in from Big D about the NBA lockout...(thanks Sweet Treat, I guess?)...

Right now we have a first round bye. That would be huge.

On a different note...my main man TJ (the Rook) will be on Jim Rome tomorrow. Bring it home TJ!
We even have another lady chiming in from Big D about the NBA lockout...(thanks Sweet Treat, I guess?)... Originally Posted by Satin
LOL I know it was random, but I'm SO glad the NBA lockout is over because I'm more of a basketball/Mavs fan that a football/Cowboys fan.. Hope I didn't offend anyone I just think basketball is more interesting to watch and I understand what's going on more I can't wait to start going to some Mavs games! ^_^
  • Satin
  • 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Lol it's cool Ms Treat....anytime a hot chick with no gag reflex wanna post something about the NBA on a football thread, it's all good. I actually like basketball better as well, but need to deal with the NFL right now. I'm also pissed that my Lakers just sent my boy Lamar Odom to the Mavericks... Kobe's even pissed....

But back to the NFL...it seems as though the injury bug keeps biting us. Now OL Mike Briesel broke a bone in his leg and was operated on this morning. He hopes to return sometime during the playoffs....
But back to the NFL...it seems as though the injury bug keeps biting us. Now OL Mike Briesel broke a bone in his leg and was operated on this morning. He hopes to return sometime during the playoffs.... Originally Posted by Satin
Coming back, "some time during the playoffs" has an awesome ring to it doesn't it? As in lasting more than the first round! That kind of talk has been a long time in coming!! I'm excited for the possibilities!!!

Great list of those who made it despite being a lower round draft choice. Why did you leave off Johnny Unitas? Is he not considered "notable?" I would compile a list of all of the 5th, 6th and 7th round QB's who never started an NFL game but the ECCIE owners may not have the bandwidth to accommodate the post!

Just sayin Originally Posted by bigtex
I ran out of time to find all of them so I just threw in about the last 10-12 years worth. It was actually pretty interesting to see how many guys were "all world" players in college only to fall by the wayside in the pros. That with the bonehead decisions, like Ditka trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams make the NFL a blast to watch.

And just because you asked, Johnny U was drafted in the 9th round in 1955 (102nd overall). Of course that would be early 3rd round by today's standards but he could definitely play a little bit.
You guys probably won't believe this or even care.....but I have a picture of myself and Johnny U shaking hands from a long time a go. Great guy.

Back to our normal programming.....
And just because you asked, Johnny U was drafted in the 9th round in 1955 (102nd overall). Of course that would be early 3rd round by today's standards but he could definitely play a little bit. Originally Posted by Rubchasertx
Let me tell you a little story about him. He was drafted by the Steelers and was cut. As he was walking out of the Steelers camp Art Rooney pulled up beside him as said "Good luck Johnny I hope you become the greatest QB in the world!"