Backpage CEO arrested! Lives in Frisco!

A couple of questions:

1. How likely is it that Backpage gets shut down?

2. If it does get shut down will it happen quickly or take months?

3. Would they shut down the entire site or still leave the body rub/massage section open?
IMHO, if the AGs can show BP as an entity was involved, they might be able to shutter the whole thing. But, it is more likely that it will be like the censoring of CL, only shutting down the Adult Entertainment Section.

BP could argue that only those found guilty knew about the illegal stuff and try to stay online. However, they would be inviting serious scrutiny. Shutting down the Adult Section seems inevitable, to me.
If BP 'facilitated sex trafficking' by taking advertising money, then AT&T and Verizon 'facilitated sex trafficking' by taking money for phone services used by the traffickers. Ditto the hotels or landlords where the pimps and their 'trafficking victims' conducted operations.

Strangely, the AGs never go after AT&T, Verizon or Marriott Corp..
Legal action requires proof. They would have to be able to prove that someone at the hotel, phone company, etc. knew that the money was spent for prostitution. The AG said in his press conference that Cali has substantial evidence that the BP CEO knew that the money was going to trafficking, and he "laundered" the profits.
Paxton just needs a headline so people can say he's actually doing shit other than nothing.
Oh, Paxton hasn't been doing nothing...
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed the charges Monday in a Sherman-based court. They are similar to the allegations Paxton faces in a pending indictment handed up by a Collin County grand jury last year.
Though he was able to get federal charges dismissed...but state charges are still pending.
So now I have to go to Trade Days in McKinney or random garage sales to buy crappy shit people don't want anymore....and prostitutes??? Originally Posted by DollarBill
Oooh!! Watch for me at the garage sales!
Yep, I use to serve drinks at a club. Had to get my TABC and when serving drinks you are just as responsible for making sure they don't have too much to drink. Originally Posted by NatalieRaine
Key word here is "too". I'm sure it was just a minor oversight in the drive-by rant. Or in the "right on the money" reply. It isn't black and white as: drink at a bar enough to be "drunk", get in an accident, place you drank at is responsible too.
It's curious that if this is truly about trafficking and protecting minors that the site is still up and it appears as thought it's business business as usual. One would think that with this arrest there would have been a court order to shutdown the site, at least temporarily, and/or seize the servers.
A couple of questions:

1. How likely is it that Backpage gets shut down?

2. If it does get shut down will it happen quickly or take months?

3. Would they shut down the entire site or still leave the body rub/massage section open? Originally Posted by HookemTX
1. It's a toss up right now. There aren't too many details out there yet.

2. It can happen quick I'm sure.

3. Depends he might get an offer to make this go away.

At least that's how i see it.
My opinion....

The sex trafficking might not stick, however, the money laudering has a good chance of sticking. Like Al capone, went to prison for a different crime. Once they have the guy on the ropes, he will agree to everything to avoid penitentiary.

Wether he does time or not, I think the adult area of backpage has its days numbered.

All of this is bad news for the hobby.
Read an article last night that says he pleaded guilty.
I am glad that BP will be taken down. That site has nothing but trash and filth. It won't put a dent in the hobby. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that backpage is heavily used by sex traffickers. Adult indies that operate on their own and the men that exclusively see these women shouldn't worry so much about the destruction of BP. The sex traffickers put a bad name on the hobby.
Read an article last night that says he pleaded guilty. Originally Posted by Billogoods
Link?
Link? Originally Posted by Mojojo
He didn't plead. He waived his extradition to California. He's going to fight it out.
Really inTexas?