Marcus Bullshitious

Cherry is a bitch to stain.. it will be splotchy... DIfficult at best...
It gets darker over time to be sure.
However, when you enter a nice kitchen what do you want to see? Cherry cabinets and black granite counter top? Soapstone?
My floors are already Brazilian cherry.
It gets darker over time to be sure.
However, when you enter a nice kitchen what do you want to see? Cherry cabinets and black granite counter top? Soapstone? Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Had that before... now going with a Chocolate Cherry and a white cotton quartz counter top. I have no clue but to me it won't look as classy as the Dark one we had.. Verde Peacock I think it was.. I loved the look!

I didn't like that cleaning issues of granite... Wasn't terrible, just really like to be able to spray a little cleaner on the counter top and wipe it up after I've been doing something. I always did soap and water and it just took a little time. did I say I LOVED the look?
I have been checking out doing soapstone yourself.
I may do it.
  • Netx9
  • 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM
OK, so I've been thinking granite for kitchen remodel... Bc every other surface is granite or quartz. Any recommendations on new finishes?
OK, so I've been thinking granite for kitchen remodel... Bc every other surface is granite or quartz. Any recommendations on new finishes? Originally Posted by Netx9
Get your wife's opinion and do it.
Unless of course you really don't give a fuck.

In my opinion I would go with black granite because it looks awesome.
I am going to do soapstone because it's a do it yourself thing and is lower maintenance than granite they say.

Fly to India and take a scary road trip to the granite quarries and have it shipped to you for cheaper than local retail. If you make it back OK you save money and you will have one hell of a memory.
I know of more than one person that has done this.
Counter Tops:
I've put in a Cherry and a Walnut. Both nice. No staining (waste of effort), but several, and I seriously mean several, coats of sealer as part of the original install. Add a coat of sealer every couple years. I "gift" large cutting boards of the same material (from the leftovers) and folks just love that. Also saves me coming back on repair calls cause someone got careless with a heavy blade.
Cabinets:
No veneer or composite anywhere near the sink, stove, dishwasher, or even the coffee pot. Which pretty much eliminates most areas of the kitchen. Over time moisture and heat will do damage. I can look at torn-out scrap and usually be able to say something like "that one was over the stove" etc. And the under-sink area will get soaked repeatedly, regardless of how good the plumber is. And last, for Marcus, yes you want also solid wood for where-ever the liquor cabinet is, as those bottles simply add up, weight wise that is.