Best Bar B Q ?

I have eaten BBQ all over the country and being from the South we have a few claims to fame. You can have Carolina style or KC style or Memphis as they are all renowed. I used to really like the Rendevous in downtown Memphis as some of the best and then you have Corky's in Memphis which are very good too. Tried Oklahoma Joe's and Fiorella's in Kansas City and they were both very good. I have tried them in the mid west and Texas and probably the best I ever had was at the Country Inn in Kilgore Texas. My understanding is the former owner has died since my last visit and family has changed the restaurant so I can no longer attest to them being the best now.

Shorty’s
Anyone remember this place? Was on S. Dixie Hwy between South Miami and Homestead.
Lived on that stuff when I was at The University of Miami in the 1960’s.
Great Pork, Beef, and Chicken.

http://www.shortys.com

Hope it's as good as it was, but I doubt it.
I had some really good BBQ in Myrtle Beach this past summer at a place called Sticky Fingers!
The original location in Kilgore, Tx. is a little off of the beaten path but the Country Tavern offers up the best and most consistent ribs I have ever eaten.

http://countrytavern.com/
  • Tulsa
  • 01-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I have eaten BBQ all over the country and being from the South we have a few claims to fame. You can have Carolina style or KC style or Memphis as they are all renowed. I used to really like the Rendevous in downtown Memphis as some of the best and then you have Corky's in Memphis which are very good too. Tried Oklahoma Joe's and Fiorella's in Kansas City and they were both very good. I have tried them in the mid west and Texas and probably the best I ever had was at the Country Inn in Kilgore Texas. My understanding is the former owner has died since my last visit and family has changed the restaurant so I can no longer attest to them being the best now.

Top Originally Posted by topsgt38801
Georgia born, educated in Alabama worked in both Carolinas and now live near my Avatar. Never fully imprinted on beef,sauce and things west of Arkansas. However on any given day the plate in front of you is often the best...kinda
I agree with Whirlaway. Just had some Franklin BBQ ribs a day ago. They had been frozen a week and reheated in my oven. They were so far beyond anything available in Dallas its laughable. And their brisket is better than some one hour sessions I've had with High Dollar Hotties.

I understand a new BBQ is opening in the Bishop Arts District in Dallas called Lockhart Smokehouse, which is supposed to recreate the taste of the famous Central TX. bbq houses. We shall see.
Country Tavern is good; and it is cool to enjoy good ribs and Q in what is basically a Country Western dance hall. Never been there on weekends, but I am sure the boot scootn is as good as the bbq.
C'mon now y'all. It's all regional YMMV.

Here in Houston, we have Central Texas, East Texas, Memphis and KC BBQ places, because we have so many refugees from those outlands, that have made their way here to the Promised Land.

Haven't run across any that serve the North FL,GA, AL type with the mustard sauce, but I'm glad of it too.
So who's going to compile from this thread the international "My Fav BBQ" list and make the sticky.

There's also an Austin, "best Hamburger" thread somewhere that pretty much had a consensus for a walk-up, place underneath a highway overpass, that should be a sticky.

Anybody in favor of a forum setup like the international forum that would be a take-off on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Since the business has so many here today, gone tomorrow, Thread starters would be restricted to places that are local institutions that have been around for a certain number of years. There could also be a newbie forum.
Haven't run across any that serve the North FL,GA, AL type with the mustard sauce, but I'm glad of it too.
Try Luling City Market, it has a really good mustard based sauce, over on Richmond.
It's consistently rated one of the best in the city.
http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/
In Nola--I prefer Voodoo Bbq
{awesome bbq potatoe skins}
Well I like my hometown Central Texas Style BBQ on 518 in Pearland!!!!! Dont go on Sunday or Monday cuz they are closed!!! They are great with the smoked meat - pork and beef - Texas Style with a Cubano flair!!!! Originally Posted by amusemeant
Speaking of local, have you tried Brians on Commerce St. in Clute? It's across the street from El Toro. It's among my favorite places anywhere for barbecue. Brisket to die for.
But as far as a free-standing BBQ classic joint, Clarke's Outpost in Tioga, TX. North of Little Elm, TX. Goo-ood! Originally Posted by Txn5inThick
You ain't lyin'...Clark's is LEGENDARY! Lots of famous people from all over have enjoyed the good eats at Clark's. And it's decor is what a BBQ joint should look like...a hole in the wall in a small town in the middle of nowhere on the way to nowhere!
1) The Shed in ocean springs does know what they're doing. They just don't have a pit that's been around for years and years to add flavor.
2) N FL, AL,GA do not use mustard based sauce. They use tomato based, Memphis style. You're thinking of South Carolina, which uses mustard based. This is an abomination before the Lord. Or maybe North Carolina which uses vinegar based, also an abomination. N Alabama (huntsville) uses a more vinegary tomato base than the rest of the Deep South.
3) This may be a Texas centric board, but everyone knows barbecue is pork. You Texans keep telling yourself it's brisket or beef. The best pulled pork I ever had was the Shack near Pell City, AL. But it burned down and now it's not nearly the same. Very sad. Best right now is probably Golden Rule out of Birmingham, particularly at the original one. They serve the char meat mixed in. But the best pork ribs bar none are at Fat Matt's in Atlanta. It was mentioned in the movie Up in the Air because it's so damn good. Tiny little joint, hot blues at night, it's like a cathedral to me.
I haven't been to Rendezvous in 25 years. I hear it's gone downhill a bit. I always did like Corky's though.
Is this over by Lake Ray Roberts? I may just gave to plan a fishing trip to try it.

You ain't lyin'...Clark's is LEGENDARY! Lots of famous people from all over have enjoyed the good eats at Clark's. And it's decor is what a BBQ joint should look like...a hole in the wall in a small town in the middle of nowhere on the way to nowhere! Originally Posted by TheFriscoKid
Have heard about the great BBQ at Clark's, but haven't tried it yet. The word is that their pies are also among the best in the state. Any confirmation? And how far is this place from Dallas? Road trip, anyone?