Giving it up for GOOD!

I don't know about y'all, but the next time I'm at a meeting, I'm going to try to figure out which of you are fellow hobbyists.

I don't have any good advice for you, Traci, as I don't know you. But I know there are many ways to get sober and stay sober. There's nothing wrong with trying to control or stop your drinking on your own. But if you find that you can't do this, you can also find a solution spritually, be it church or AA or Buddhism. And you may be surprised at the level of acceptance and understanding you will receive if you choose to get help. However, you probably shouldn't rely on hobbyists for help....much better if you found other women to work with you. (I can't stress this last sentence enough.)

Safe travels.

Tim
Good luck to you Traci - it is a hard road but one worth travelling. And the inner strength you will find in yourself will help you in other parts of your life, once you have done so!
Traci, I admire your courage. I wish you the best and hope that you'll find the strength to achieve your goal!
I smoked three packs a day and quit, cold turkey, more than 20 years ago. Smoking, like drinking, is a habit, not necessarily a weakness. A weakness is something you couldn't help doing in the first place; a habit is something that once started, becomes verrrrry difficult to stop. The religious thing is because that makes it a bit easier. In fact, a fellow I consulted when I was first trying to quit smoking said he quit by "talking a lot with the man upstairs." Well, the man upstairs never answered me, so I just quit all by myself. Takes a lot of will, to be sure. There are long hours, but not days. And some of the posters here are right:the first step is to admit you have a problem, the second step is to admit that you're the only one who can stop it. You've already done both. The only (!) thing left after that is to do it. Good luck to you. We can be your man upstairs, any one of us. Just PM>
Beer is the new Texas Tea since drilling oil is a sin these days. Does that count?

Cheers and good luck.
  • Sami
  • 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey Traci I am proud of you, I know without a doubt you can do this. I watched you quit smokin. We got a frappuccino machine and Starbucks ain't got shit on me, so bring you pretty lil azz on over anytime!!!!
you do indeed have a really nice ass. and good luck on your journey!
-cam
Wow. I am very proud of you for taking this step Traci! Sending lots of love and hugs your way.
wonderful. it takes guts to go cold turkey. if I can do it, anyone can. you have my admiration and respect.
AA is there for a lot more than the religious aspect you mention. It provides peer support and someone you can call on (a fellow alcoholic) when you need someone to call. Making the admission is the first step. Getting help is another. Staying the course while those around you drink isn't easy and oftentimes requires someone that's gone thru the very same thing. Giving up alcohol isn't as easy as giving up smoking. Alcoholism is hard-wired. Smoking is an addiction. They're distinct. Find a support group. I hope you make it and I think it shows courage and strength of will to stand up and do what you just did.
  • jafun
  • 03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Go sweetie. You can do it...
I went to the doctor and asked for antabuse. Pill that makes you deathly ill if u drink.. worked better than rehab or meetings for me. Although I learned a lot at meetings and would encourage you to try.

Good luck. I would with this disease on anyone.
You can do it Traci, {Hugs} to you! Rember it is not a sign of weakness, if anything a sign of strength that you are fighting the disease.
Had no idea!! You can do it!! Need anything...? You know where to find me!