Know Thy Enemies

So you really think the men and woman of the United States military are going to fire on the citizens of the United States of America? Originally Posted by GP
If you are paranoid enough to fear that the "government" can become "tyrannical", then you should be equally paranoid that the military will turn against the "people".
  • GP
  • 02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
If you are paranoid enough to fear that the "government" can become "tyrannical", then you should be equally paranoid that the military will turn against the "people". Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Using what logic?

BTW, you did not answer my question.
Influence

Many Patriots were active before 1775 in groups such as the Sons of Liberty. The most prominent leaders of the Patriots are referred to today by Americans as the Founding Fathers of the United States. The Patriots came from many different backgrounds. Among the most active of the Patriots group were highly educated and fairly wealthy individuals. However, without the support of the ordinary men and women, such as farmers, lawyers, merchants, seamstresses, homemakers, shopkeepers, and ministers, the struggle for independence would have failed.
In 2000 historian Robert Calhoon said the consensus of historians is that in the Thirteen Colonies between 40 and 45 percent of the white population supported the Patriots' cause, between 15 and 20% supported the Loyalists, and the remainder were neutral or kept a low profile.[2] With a white population of about 2.5 million, that makes about 380,000 to 500,000 Loyalists. The great majority of them remained in America, since only about 80,000 Loyalists left the United States 1775-1783. They went to Canada, Britain, Florida or the West Indies, but some eventually returned. [3].

Patriot (American Revolution) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_(American_Revolution)
Many Patriots were active before 1775 in groups such as the Sons of Liberty. ... that in the Thirteen Colonies between 40 and 45 percent of the white population ...
Terminology - Influence - No taxation without representation

so in the beginning the founding fathers where in the minority. I'm only 2nd generation American myself. mmmmm I will go with the peoples right to bear arms against its own nation are overdue.
Using what logic?
BTW, you did not answer my question. Originally Posted by GP
You seem to agree that, if the "government" becomes "tyrannical", the military will choose the side of the "people". So the military, which is armed with nuclear weapons, etc., holds the key. Whether the "people" are armed is irrelevant.
  • GP
  • 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
You STILL have not answered my question. A fair discussion requires certain things from all participants. One thing is a polite discourse. Another is honesty in answering questions posed to each other. I have been forthright in my answers to your questions. I will continue this line of discussion once you answer my question. Please have a pleasant night.
I'm sorry. What was the question?
  • Doove
  • 02-10-2013, 06:41 AM
I think he answered it by pointing out that the point of your question makes your whole thesis irrelevant. You know, nuance. Something i suspect he hopes you'd take for granted sometimes.
  • GP
  • 02-10-2013, 06:41 AM
I'm sorry. What was the question? Originally Posted by jackfengshui
really?

So you really think the men and woman of the United States military are going to fire on the citizens of the United States of America? Originally Posted by GP
I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't need to.

If the "government" did become "tyrannical", two things can happen:

Scenario #1: The military will side with the "people". Then we have nothing to worry about.

Scenario #2: The military will side with the "government" and overwhelm the people with their superior weaponry.

Either way, there is no point in arming the "people" with guns because of the hypothetical tyrannical government.
  • GP
  • 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM
"I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't need to.

If the "government" did become "tyrannical", two things can happen:

Scenario #1: The military will side with the "people". Then we have nothing to worry about.

Scenario #2: The military will side with the "government" and overwhelm the people with their superior weaponry.

Either way, there is no point in arming the "people" with guns because of the hypothetical tyrannical government. Originally Posted by jackfengshui

Scenario #3: The military is divided into different factions. Many sub-scenarios could play out.

Scenario #4: An invading "tyrannical" government(s) is keeping our military extremely busy and our military needs the support of a well armed militia.

Scenario 5,6,7,8,9,.....

I could probably think of a lot more scenarios. The point is, be prepared, JUST IN CASE! You never know what can happen. I would rather err on the side of caution then find myself and my family completely defenseless. If I am going to go down, I am going to go down fighting.

PS: I absolutely love how you managed to avoid the simple yes/now question again. I was not looking for factual response from you, just your opinion, since this whole discussion is based on opinion.
IMHO, Scenario #1 is the most likely, and there is no need for the people to be armed.
I have a gun fetish **blushing** I even have a pair of heels with barrels as the heel and bullets across the straps. I also think going shooting is so exciting, it turns me on. All that hard power in my hand, I think that might be another reason why I love feeling a man's ____ in my hand.
  • GP
  • 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM
IMHO, Scenario #1 is the most likely, and there is no need for the people to be armed. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Thank you.

Fair enough. I agree with the first part of your statement, just not the second part. There is always that question "WHAT IF?"

I think this is basically what the whole debate boils down to.
**blushing**