Board personas and the hobby...

This is interesting....I get a kick out of reading all of this.
Real life WU & Online WU are the same guy........ Wanna know the difference? The tone in which the words leave his mouth in person differs than the one you hear in your head while reading his posts. Thats all. One sentance can mean 12 different things depending on the way its spoken.
Originally Posted by Jusanotherdude
That's one of the biggest drawbacks with board threads, emails, and texts; no way to hear inflections in the voice, read clues in the face and posture. We all need to video conference.

But then I'd have to take off my granny robe, mud mask, rollers, and fuzzy Snoopy slippers.
As an example, you're "everybody dies" comment in BW's sick mother thread. That wasn't funny or appropriate. Originally Posted by TransAm
Perfect! I love it. Thank you, you're giving me an opportunity to address something here that I'm currently talking to others about privately.

The statement "everybody dies" is nothing but a pure and simple fact. You can't read my tone, facial expressions, body language, or infer a single thing about my intent from that post. The fact that I posted it in Brooke's thread, again, offers absolutely no insight into my intentions.

I stated a simple fact, that is free of emotion, malice, or intent, yet YOU interpreted that as being inappropriate. Now, did I mean it to be inappropriate, or did YOU interpret it as being inappropriate, of your own free will, regardless of my actual intentions? My contention is that I'M not the one who has a problem being inappropriate, it's YOU who has a problem ASSUMING I'm being inappropriate. No one here can, nor should, be held accountable for how other people react to a post, they can only be held accountable for their own post. If you took my statement out of the thread, took my name off of it, and viewed it, it's a fact. The problem most people have is that they're incapable of separating their own biases and emotions from their decision making processes, and THAT'S what leads to problems like the one you're stating.

There is no such thing as "common human decency". There is no such thing as "basic human morals". There is no such thing as "common courtesy". All of those are simply you imposing your emotions, biases, and beliefs on others, and expecting them to act how you want them to act. In the real world, it's extremely easy to determine intent. Here, it's almost impossible.

Again, thank you very much for helping me to illustrate my point to others, even though I know you're not involved in it.
Perfect! I love it. Thank you, you're giving me an opportunity to address something here that I'm currently talking to others about privately.

The statement "everybody dies" is nothing but a pure and simple fact. You can't read my tone, facial expressions, body language, or infer a single thing about my intent from that post. The fact that I posted it in Brooke's thread, again, offers absolutely no insight into my intentions.

I stated a simple fact, that is free of emotion, malice, or intent, yet YOU interpreted that as being inappropriate. Now, did I mean it to be inappropriate, or did YOU interpret it as being inappropriate, of your own free will, regardless of my actual intentions? My contention is that I'M not the one who has a problem being inappropriate, it's YOU who has a problem ASSUMING I'm being inappropriate. No one here can, nor should, be held accountable for how other people react to a post, they can only be held accountable for their own post. If you took my statement out of the thread, took my name off of it, and viewed it, it's a fact. The problem most people have is that they're incapable of separating their own biases and emotions from their decision making processes, and THAT'S what leads to problems like the one you're stating.

There is no such thing as "common human decency". There is no such thing as "basic human morals". There is no such thing as "common courtesy". All of those are simply you imposing your emotions, biases, and beliefs on others, and expecting them to act how you want them to act. In the real world, it's extremely easy to determine intent. Here, it's almost impossible.

Again, thank you very much for helping me to illustrate my point to others, even though I know you're not involved in it. Originally Posted by Wakeuр
Happy to help. But in this case, we disagree. It's true, I have no idea what your intent was with that comment. But I (and I suspect most people) don't judge a comment merely by the intent of the speaker. Its effect on the hearer, intended or not, must also be taken into account. I can't say what effect you INTENDED that comment to have, but I can be reasonably sure of how BW would take it, and I can be reasonably sure how I would take it if I'd been in her shoes.

If you want to quibble with my use of the word "appropriate", that's fine, perfectly fair. But can we agree it was damned insensitive? And what, for the love of God, was the POINT? With your intelligence, I sincerely doubt you thought BW or any other poster on that thread was unaware of the truth of the fact that everyone does in fact die. So you thought you'd be Captain Obvious? Can't really see that as it doesn't measure up to your usual oratorical skills, so my questions stands: what was the point? You say I only saw it as being inappropriate because of my own emotions and biases. Fair enough. If you WEREN'T just trying to be a dick, what is the explanation for the comment?

I have no problem with you saying you don't believe in the concept of common human decency. It is, in many respects, an arbitrary social construct. And if you do LIKE trying to be a dick, then just own it. I'm cool with that. It's perfectly fine for you to say, "I'm Wakeup, and I refuse to consider the effect I might have on the emotions of others." But, you're still going to be judged by the same standard as anyone else, regardless.

If I'm duplicating any of the points that others are making in their private conversations with you, I apologize for the redundancy.

Again, thank you very much for helping me to illustrate my point to others, even though I know you're not involved in it. Originally Posted by Wakeuр

Problem is, you are an intelligent man who would know that the intent of words typed on a screen can only be based on context, nothing more, quite correctly not "human decency... courtesy... morals." In the context of that thread, where emotions were naturally running high under the circumstances, how could you NOT think that your comment wouldn't be taken as inappropriate and cold?

Please don't play dumb. It isn't becoming of you, Wakeup.
So just curious- Is there a particular reason you guys don't necessarily want people you see to know your board handles? Originally Posted by Valerie
Yeah, I write reviews and a lot of the providers I'm interested in don't like that. In general, I respect a provider's wish to not be reviewed, but it's easier to just leave my board handle out of it than to put their minds at ease. Also, some of the new girls I scout are intimidated by the quantity of reviews I've written. Nervous girls don't perform well.

As far as a provider not wanting to see me because of my board traffic, it's never come up to my knowledge. If that's because I keep my screening info separate, or because the only providers I'm interested in have minimal board presence... Who knows?
Board personas are nonsense........I could come across any way I wanted......I could start over tomorrow and none of you would be the wiser......ijs. Originally Posted by dearhunter
You should try it and WU can set the over/under on how long before you reveal yourself. It'd be like a fucktard retirement with a twist.
The answer to both of your questions is...NOPE! Originally Posted by DickEmDown

Yes, but you are a puto LOL. You know I mean that in the sweetest way

Real life WU & Online WU are the same guy........ Wanna know the difference? The tone in which the words leave his mouth in person differs than the one you hear in your head while reading his posts. Thats all. One sentance can mean 12 different things depending on the way its spoken.

JaD Originally Posted by Jusanotherdude
Well exactly how many different ways can everybody dies be taken? That's just one of many examples. He's an asshole because he likes to be mean to people. Like I've said before, if he wants to test his boundaries, let him say some of the shit he says here at work or to some guy or worse to his woman in a bar. We'll see how "well" it's taken because it's not words on a screen.

Fo'Realz, to say no one would know your intentions is well simply stupid. Just like everyone knows your intention when you are compelled to tell everyone you are just keeping it real. Paaaah-LEEZ, no you're not. That's how you got my pet name for you. You are doing it to be mean, and that's why I'm mean to you. But do carry on............intentions...... ..............feigned indifference.................. .fat.................whore.... ...............whatever; it all matters to you - it matters so, so much. Yawn all you want, everybody knows this shit is real life for you; you just prefer to suspend reality and pretend like we don't all know.
...........the only providers I'm interested in have minimal board presence......... Originally Posted by enderwiggin
enderwiggen gets it and has made the leap.....ijs

I am always amused at the lightning rod that Wakeup's presence in a thread can become......his posse is fucking awesome.......and his "everyone dies" comment is a perfect example of taking a statement and making it whatever your mind will take you to.

We are talking about board personas here.......it is my opinion that modtards get worn down by the whining and complaining to the point where they feel like they have to respond to the way a comment is received.......when they do it, they are wrong.

You write about it.....it becomes available fodder for everyone.......if you don't want what you perceive to be a rude, inflammatory comment about your dying mother, don't post about her condition on a SHMB.......same goes for your dog.
You should try it and WU can set the over/under on how long before you reveal yourself. It'd be like a fucktard retirement with a twist. Originally Posted by oilfieldscum
heh....in your dreams
.......if you don't want what you perceive to be a rude, inflammatory comment about your dying mother, don't post about her condition on a SHMB.......same goes for your dog. Originally Posted by dearhunter
It's easy for some....but not so easy for others....based on our personas.
true that
enderwiggen gets it and has made the leap.....ijs

I am always amused at the lightning rod that Wakeup's presence in a thread can become......his posse is fucking awesome.......and his "everyone dies" comment is a perfect example of taking a statement and making it whatever your mind will take you to.

We are talking about board personas here.......it is my opinion that modtards get worn down by the whining and complaining to the point where they feel like they have to respond to the way a comment is received.......when they do it, they are wrong.

You write about it.....it becomes available fodder for everyone.......if you don't want what you perceive to be a rude, inflammatory comment about your dying mother, don't post about her condition on a SHMB.......same goes for your dog. Originally Posted by dearhunter
See, DH, I understand the point you and WU are trying to make. You're saying a different set of social rules apply to discourse on a SHMB (or any other kind of board, I suppose). Ok, but WHY?

I don't think the "everyone dies" comment was a case of me injecting any personal bias of mine into the analysis. It is what it is. Factual, yes. But since we're all adults here, we presumably all know that everyone dies. So what was the point of the post? It wasn't just helpful information. It wasn't even a commentary on the propriety of posting about that kind of personal family business on a SHMB, or if it was, it wasn't on point.

My question to WU still stands, and if you have any insight, please share it with me... If those of us who found it insensitive and mean are WRONG, what WAS the intention behind the comment?
SO when we fuckin again? Lmao Originally Posted by Valerie
Are you kidding, as soon as you drop that load...I do have one condition though.

You have to make WU watch!

Till then Love

Yes, but you are a puto LOL. You know I mean that in the sweetest way
. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Yeah...just like with your "DED rate"
...You write about it.....it becomes available fodder for everyone.......if you don't want what you perceive to be a rude, inflammatory comment about your dying mother, don't post about her condition on a SHMB.......same goes for your dog. Originally Posted by dearhunter
Too true. Fortunately the percentage of respectful, well-meaning, comforting, just decent people so far outweigh the rude, inflammatory, why-should-I-bother-to-be-nice-as-politeness-is-a-societal-construct ones, although it does seem as if the latter group is much more vocal. That's their secondary hobby, I guess. From now on I shall be a practical pessimist and expect bad, depreciating comments in all threads I start or am involved with in the future. Optimism is a flaw on a SHMB, evidently.

On the side of expediency, some of us do have friends here, however, and fans, if you like, so this can be as efficient way to communicate news. If nothing else, perhaps it makes some of us feel better to share with people who may have gone through similar experiences. Wtf does it matter, anyway? I, and I'm sure Brooke, shall continue to write about anything we wish, and anybody can say what they want back. Freedom of speech is a beautiful, and an awful, thing.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -- Mark Twain