Detriot Files For Bankruptcy

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit and left there in 79. I refused to go to Detroit even way back then. The seeds were planted long ago. If it wasn't for the Red Wings, Tigers and Pistons I wouldn't let anybody know I was from there. Originally Posted by FlectiNonFrangi
....not claiming the Lions?
People who laugh at photo shop are a sad bunch... Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Does that include your avator?
Can stimulus repayment obligations be discharged in a municipality's bankruptcy?
....not claiming the Lions? Originally Posted by JCM800
LOL, you noticed. The only bright spot since 1957 was Barry Sanders.

Detroit's problem was poor governance, by liberal Democrats who were both corrupt and inept.

Sound familiar ? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Sounds like your normal answer which is why you'll never come up with a reasonable answer.
Sounds like your normal answer which is why you'll never come up with a reasonable answer. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Unreasonable results generally are explained with unreasonable answers.

But BL your assessment of the affects of unions is reasonable and true.
And who garnished the city unions with extravagant pay and benefits ?

DEMOCRATS !

But that is a side issue; Detroit's problems could have been avoided early on with responsible governance.

Name a city that was Republican controlled for decades and has failed on the order of Detroit ?
What do these things have in common: New York City, Chicago, Kansas City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Boston. All, at one time or another, were ran by political machines, DEMOCRATIC political machines.
Does that include your avator? Originally Posted by LexusLover

Don't know are you laughing? FYI it is avatar .
FYI it is avatar . Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Then you know what it is! Looks like hate to me. Or is it just more of your bullshit. Or both?
But BL your assessment of the affects of unions is reasonable and true. Originally Posted by LexusLover
One cannot make shirts to be sold for $10 at Walmart, from $25 an hour labor adorned with full retirement, disability, and health care benefits .... nor can U.S. automakers compete with foreign automakers when paying someone $35 ($70 overtime) an hour with full retirement, disability, and health care benefits, particularly when the vehicle must be replaced every 3 years or start paying outrageous amounts for "standard" labor and parts costs, which are controlled by the dealerships and after market replacement part manufacturers ... even if brought into the country with markups from union handlers and truckers.

The unions have choked our economy and made us dependent on foreign manufacturing. Now then get an exemption on Obamacare.
You talk about worn out cars but there are tens of thousands of auto workers that are in a stand by status and recieving full pay checks. Yes, they do nothing but get paid just in case they have to call back a 63 year old line worker. Then they get to retire based on their annual wages.
One cannot make shirts to be sold for $10 at Walmart, from $25 an hour labor adorned with full retirement, disability, and health care benefits .... nor can U.S. automakers compete with foreign automakers when paying someone $35 ($70 overtime) an hour with full retirement, disability, and health care benefits, particularly when the vehicle must be replaced every 3 years or start paying outrageous amounts for "standard" labor and parts costs, which are controlled by the dealerships and after market replacement part manufacturers ... even if brought into the country with markups from union handlers and truckers.

The unions have choked our economy and made us dependent on foreign manufacturing. Now then get an exemption on Obamacare. Originally Posted by LexusLover

Right let's blame the unions not any management errors of providing outrageous wages benefits when times were good. GM was so top heavy with VP'S that did nothing more than organize car shows and drew huge salary and bennies but let's overlook management and blame the middle class. Clueless.
Detroit was a booming metropolis ...40+ years ago. The city made a conscious decision not to be booming or vibrant 40 years ago. They have succeeded, congratulate the fuckers. Originally Posted by pyramider
Detroit was booming 65 YEARS AGO. They reached their peak in the 1950s. Since then they have been in steady decline. Since they were basically a single industry town, when that industry took a hit the fate of Detroit was sealed.

If you say they made a conscious decision not be booming do you mean the car industry made a conscious decision not to build quality cars that people wanted. You cannot say that Detroit could been a booming metropolis even as all the auto industry collapsed. It would not have been possible.
Here is an interesting article on the decline of Detroit.

The Reasons Behind Detroits Decline