FBI Executes Search Warrant at Mar A Lago!

Blackman, If charges are brought, would Trump be tried in Florida? And do you think a jury would convict him, regardless of the evidence? I suspect it would depend a lot on jury selection which in turn could depend a lot on the judge, but this is something I don’t know diddly squat about. Originally Posted by Tiny
He would likely be tried in DC since that’s where he removed the documents. I suspect whether he gets convicted would depend on what he’s charged with and what he claims as a defense.

If the decides to claim he is “immune” he’ll likely lose that. If he has some legitimate reason to have been holding onto classified documents which would be an interesting claim since he’s no longer president.

Evidently this goes beyond just commandeering some documents. In January there was a specific request that Trump turn the documents in his possession over. He did not. Then in June the FBI met with Trump and his lawyers at Mara Lago and again requested the documents and were shown by the lawyers that the documents were improperly secured. Trumps staff had them in a room which a padlock was added to for “compliance with the lack of security”. He still did not turn the documents over.

The FBI and AG must’ve determined that he has committed a crime as the warrant would have to show probable cause (seems clear from
His admission by his attys that he had possession of the documents) that a specific crime was committed (likely possession of classified materials which his attys once again admitted to him possessing).
dc is a death knell for conservatives....jury pool is corrupted and judges are likely blind to their own partisanship
This looks worse and worse the more you think about it.

If the DOJ is seriously thinking of charging an ex-President and ongoing political rival with anything criminal, then it screams out for the appointment of a Special Counsel. In this situation, nobody can have confidence in the DOJ's fairness, independence and lack of partisanship. Even if the country wasn't so horribly divided, handing the case over to a Special Counsel should be a no-brainer.

On the other hand, if the DOJ is merely looking for classified documents that Trump may have taken with him to Mar-a-Lago when he left office instead of handing them over to the National Archives, this hardly warrants an FBI raid on a former President's home.

Either way, it's a gross error on the part of the Biden administration. A jaw-dropping example of legal & political overreach and miscalculation. Originally Posted by lustylad

No fan of the orange tan, but I agree with you here. Dems and the DOJ/ FBI just lit a fuse under the voters who like Trump. If they really wanted to damage him, they could have just done so much more publicly. If it's documents in his beach place, they likely are as important now as the home depot receipts I have from 4 yrs ago. Its a BIG step to do that without a HUGE payoff. That said, we don't know what they were looking for or what they got. Time will tell if it was worth it. Special Councils and all that baloney never pan out. Look at how they worked out in almost every case since watergate. The only reason that worked, is that Repubs back then were more like boyscouts who didn't lie, unlike the ones that are in there now; Fingers crossed behind their backs at every time they speak.
dc is a death knell for conservatives....jury pool is corrupted and judges are likely blind to their own partisanship Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Then don’t commit crimes in DC.
  • WTF
  • 08-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Then don’t commit crimes in DC. Originally Posted by 1blackman1

I would love to see Trump under oath.

Oh and Rudy and the rest of the election deniers!
  • WTF
  • 08-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Posted again. Reread slowly. The double standards and hate will show. When youre calm and at peace. Originally Posted by winn dixie
You can post that nonsense a 100 more times. It will still be nonsense.

All that backstabbing Trump did on the way up is catching up with him on the way down.

The GOP wants Trump charged more than Democrats.
He would likely be tried in DC since that’s where he removed the documents. I suspect whether he gets convicted would depend on what he’s charged with and what he claims as a defense.

If the decides to claim he is “immune” he’ll likely lose that. If he has some legitimate reason to have been holding onto classified documents which would be an interesting claim since he’s no longer president.

Evidently this goes beyond just commandeering some documents. In January there was a specific request that Trump turn the documents in his possession over. He did not. Then in June the FBI met with Trump and his lawyers at Mara Lago and again requested the documents and were shown by the lawyers that the documents were improperly secured. Trumps staff had them in a room which a padlock was added to for “compliance with the lack of security”. He still did not turn the documents over.

The FBI and AG must’ve determined that he has committed a crime as the warrant would have to show probable cause (seems clear from
His admission by his attys that he had possession of the documents) that a specific crime was committed (likely possession of classified materials which his attys once again admitted to him possessing). Originally Posted by 1blackman1

I'm guessing we may never know the details but I can't imagine this is political. I mean do you Trumpites seriously think nobody in the DoJ didn't realize what the orange ape and his mindless lackeys were going to say? I'm thinking more along the lines of national security than impacting Trump's chances in 24. Hell, he's old, fat, out of shape and eats fast food. His ticker may blow before then anyway.

I'd bet instead MG was telling them you better be more sure of this than anything you've ever done in your career, because if there is ANY doubt that a crime has been committed AND that you will recover proof of it, we're not touching this shit show. I mean the kind of proof that would get a guilty verdict with a jury of: Lindell, Rudy, Roger, Bannon, Sidney, MTG, Gaetz, Kevin, Alex, Jordan, "haulin" Hawley, and Boebert. THAT kind of proof.

I would love to see Trump under oath.

Oh and Rudy and the rest of the election deniers! Originally Posted by WTF
In depositions he either lies or claims not to remember.
Nomination before incarceration?

Or the other way around?
Nelson Mandela spent nearly 30 years in prison. Will you wait for Trump? LOL.

I just hope they find what they’re looking for and bring a swift conclusion to this horrible dark chapter in America’s history.

Then we can truly make America breathe again. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
This country is failing whether Trump is convicted of anything or not. All Governments are corrupt. Trump blew the whistle on these assholes and that's the main reason why the Democrats and even many Republicans are after him. The FBI and DHS are modern day "Brown Shirts" for Political opposition. If the FBI doesn't find any real evidence of any criminal wrong doing they wouldn't be beyond planting any. So no doubt about it, Trump needs to truly Lawyer up.
  • Tiny
  • 08-09-2022, 12:06 PM

His admission by his attys that he had possession of the documents) that a specific crime was committed (likely possession of classified materials which his attys once again admitted to him possessing). Originally Posted by 1blackman1
Very informative, thanks for taking the time to write that.

About "the FBI and AG must've determined that he has committed a crime," do you think it's very unlikely the FBI is doing this for the main purpose of getting any classified documents out his possession, where they might be unsecure from foreign powers and the like? That is, is it possible that the AG's not intending to prosecute unless they come across something unforeseen, and their main goal is to secure classified records?
In order to get a warrant they needed to specify a crime they believe has been committed. They met with Trump’s lawyers on at least two occasions and he did not provide the documents. I suspect it’s more than just “we will use this to get the docs from your possession. They could have done that with a criminal warrant. The DoJ civil division could have sued him and issued a subpoena. The criminal division could have issued a subpoena as well. The fact that the FBI got a warrant suggests they were looking for something in particular and that they believe his possession of it was illegal.
  • Tiny
  • 08-09-2022, 12:29 PM
In order to get a warrant they needed to specify a crime they believe has been committed. They met with Trump’s lawyers on at least two occasions and he did not provide the documents. I suspect it’s more than just “we will use this to get the docs from your possession. They could have done that with a criminal warrant. The DoJ civil division could have sued him and issued a subpoena. The criminal division could have issued a subpoena as well. The fact that the FBI got a warrant suggests they were looking for something in particular and that they believe his possession of it was illegal. Originally Posted by 1blackman1
Thanks again. I've gotten more out of your two short posts than out of watching an hour or two of cable news coverage on this.
i think the document thing is a cover for tryng to nail trump on january 6

they gathered up everything they could to fish through it, to look for any sort of sardine they can put cocktail sauce on

i just reminded myself of a pun-

"if you can think of a better fish pun, let minnow"
  • WTF
  • 08-09-2022, 12:54 PM
i think the document thing is a cover for tryng to nail trump on january 6

they gathered up everything they could to fish through it, to look for any sort of sardine they can put cocktail sauce on

i just reminded myself of a pun-

"if you can think of a better fish pun, let minnow" Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
You're a tad behind the medis

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...d-information/

I believe that principle is key to understanding the FBI’s search of former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on Monday. The ostensible justification for the search of Trump’s compound is his potentially unlawful retention of government records and mishandling of classified information. The real reason is the Capitol riot.