What's Next? George Floyd on the $20 Bill?

Before 1999. Somewhere after that time it became a slur for some people. Probably AP style guide. A Chinese woman I worked with didn't know until her daughter informed her.

The rationale revolves around oriental is a adjective that can only be applied to nouns that are inanimate objects. Same verbal linquistics as "people of color." Originally Posted by gnadfly
Some dumb white person was the one who first told me how I was supposed to be offended by the term. I am sure you can guess how I reacted. lol

For the record Oriental comes from the Spanish word "oriente" which means "east" Since Asia is in the east it sure makes a lot of sense and doesn't sound very offensive to me. Similarly "negro" is the Spanish word for "Black" So lets get this straight, calling a black person Black is ok, but calling him black in Spanish is a slur that could very well get you fired from your job, kicked out of school, or otherwise ruin your fucking life.

I think every PC "woke" person found in Texas should have a dead or alive bounty put on them
Before 1999. Somewhere after that time it became a slur for some people. Probably AP style guide. A Chinese woman I worked with didn't know until her daughter informed her.

The rationale revolves around oriental is a adjective that can only be applied to nouns that are inanimate objects. Same verbal linquistics as "people of color." Originally Posted by gnadfly
isn't this about the same time China wanted their capital called Beijing instead of Peking in english?