Just want to wine a bit...

First if all, I do not like usually "mixes" like bottles that are merlot/cab concoctions. I also prefer the taste of wines from small wineries who do not use a lot of chemical to make 300,000+ bottles taste consistent.

Silver Oak Merlot is one of my faves. Bit it is pricey. Do I qualify as a wine snob? If so read on.

I found an everyday table wine that violates both my usual preferences listed above and a big bottle is about $15 and is in most grocery stores that have a decent sized wine section. FRONTERA cab/merlot from chile has a nice sweet but smooth taste that is quite pallete pleasing, IMO.

Nicole, I have had a bottle for you for awhile. We'll have to crack it open soon.
Anyone can buy a great bottle of wine for lots of money -- no talent there. Whats interesting is trying to find screaming bargains. I recently found a Syrah (Smoking Look) on sale for about $4.75 a bottle in case lots including tax, title etc. To my palette, this stuff was as good as any $20 bottle I'd tried, and just the kind of thing you want to open in an evening and drink while doing something else. I bought 2 case, sadly, they are gone.
Anyone can buy a great bottle of wine for lots of money -- no talent there. Whats interesting is trying to find screaming bargains. I recently found a Syrah (Smoking Look) on sale for about $4.75 a bottle in case lots including tax, title etc. To my palette, this stuff was as good as any $20 bottle I'd tried, and just the kind of thing you want to open in an evening and drink while doing something else. I bought 2 case, sadly, they are gone. Originally Posted by pjorourke
There is a joke to be made about your palatte here, but I'll leave that to someone much more qualified than I (what do you say SRO? give it a shot?)

I used to live close to this great shop that got involved in closeouts/overstocks. They would have racks of 2fer10, 3fer10, 3fer20, 2fer20, hell even 2fer5. We would go over get one or two of each. Try it. Anything we liked go back and get a couple of cases of knowing they'd never be back (at that price)
My last visit to Napa (2 years ago), I learned that some wineries are considering switching to a screw cap. Apparently, it's better for the wine and gives it a longer shelf life ( you don't have to worry about air, or something like that). The only thing stopping them is the fact that people associate it with "cheap", who doesn't? One of my favs that is now using this method is called " Skrew kappa napa", LOL...it's good. Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
If good beer has screw tops, why not good wine. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005

Wow, just shows you that ole dogs (keyword dogs) like myself can learn something new everyday.

My last trip to Napa Robert Mondavi location they were in the midst of converting from Stainless steel to wood. Shows you it has be several years.

Nicole which winery did you enjoy the most?
There is a joke to be made about your palette here, but I'll leave that to someone much more qualified than I (what do you say SRO? give it a shot?) Originally Posted by atlcomedy
What you tryin' to bait me?

I used to live close to this great shop that got involved in closeouts/overstocks. They would have racks of 2fer10, 3fer10, 3fer20, 2fer20, hell even 2fer5. We would go over get one or two of each. Try it. Anything we liked go back and get a couple of cases of knowing they'd never be back (at that price) Originally Posted by atlcomedy
That's what it comes down to, Nicole. Talk to your local wine merchant. Create a rapport. They'll tell you about great wines for good money. After a while, they'll know to sideline what you want. Or you can say, "put together a case of various wines [singles/doubles] for under $30. You'll end up with an amazing selection to drink everyday. Or if you have a special date (with me?!?) you can open a great bottle that drinks wonderfully and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

By buying from them, you create economic stimulus at a local level. The folks who work there, buy groceries and services local to you. Everybody wins, and you end up with some great values for wine. And bat those gorgeous eyes at the guys and gals at "Wines-R-Us" and you'll have them eating (and drinking) out of your hand (or slipper, stem ware, etc.). Best!
Wow, just shows you that ole dogs (keyword dogs) like myself can learn something new everyday.

My last trip to Napa Robert Mondavi location they were in the midst of converting from Stainless steel to wood. Shows you it has be several years.

Nicole which winery did you enjoy the most? Originally Posted by Woody of TX
Let's see, I have visited that region five times....so I have a long, long list.

The few that really stood out: Paraduxx, it was very formal setting...no standing at the bar surrounded by gift shop crap. Chateau St. Jean, my first official vineyard wine tasting...and BONUS I was actually familiar with it before I got there. The most unique and FUN winery: Mario Andretti!!! Yes, he actually owns a vineyard! The best part? Go for a tasting, and they will top off your glass till you can't drink anymore...it was relaxed, cool, and the wine is not bad.
What you tryin' to bait me?

YEP, give it a shot, it is right on the tee for someone, if not you...

That's what it comes down to, Nicole. Talk to your local wine merchant. Create a rapport. They'll tell you about great wines for good money. After a while, they'll know to sideline what you want. Or you can say, "put together a case of various wines [singles/doubles] for under $30. You'll end up with an amazing selection to drink everyday. Or if you have a special date (with me?!?) you can open a great bottle that drinks wonderfully and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

I think I suggested that earlier....but couldn't agree more

By buying from them, you create economic stimulus at a local level. The folks who work there, buy groceries and services local to you. Everybody wins, and you end up with some great values for wine. And bat those gorgeous eyes at the guys and gals at "Wines-R-Us" and you'll have them eating (and drinking) out of your hand (or slipper, stem ware, etc.). Best! Originally Posted by SR Only
The later one, economic stimulus at a local level???? You do, yes...but what is the alternative? Due to arcane liquor laws most everywhere in the US is local. At most it is a regional chain of a dozen shops. Sure the is the Sam's Club or Mega Grocery store may carry in your area depending on local law, but the "Wines R US" will be local/regional.
The later one, economic stimulus at a local level???? You do, yes...but what is the alternative? Due to arcane liquor laws most everywhere in the US is local. At most it is a regional chain of a dozen shops. Sure the is the Sam's Club or Mega Grocery store may carry in your area depending on local law, but the "Wines R US" will be local/regional. Originally Posted by atlcomedy

http://www.towerwinespirits.com/index.php

For clarity, when I say wines r us -- this is the type of thing I'm referring to....not the local boutique wine shop where the bottles grow dust, or Sam's Club on the bulk side or the package store with bars on the window...but a mega-store that is sharp on pricing (across the board, from the bargain to the very high end) but also has knowledgeable salespeople that will help you.

Most metros will have something similar, limited only by local regulations
BTW, alt much better avatar. I swung by my local wine store tonight for a 12 pack of Corona (football tomorrow, anyone betting on the Jets?). They are offering Dom at $129.90 which I think is the Connecticut state minimum. A bunch of other champagnes on the cheap, too. They were discounting Reidel glass ware for cheap too (stem ware at $28 for two glasses).
BTW, alt much better avatar. I swung by my local wine store tonight for a 12 pack of Corona (football tomorrow, anyone betting on the Jets?). They are offering Dom at $129.90 which I think is the Connecticut state minimum. A bunch of other champagnes on the cheap, too. They were discounting Reidel glass ware for cheap too (stem ware at $28 for two glasses). Originally Posted by SR Only
State regs make all of this tough to compare across state lines, but my point is a Mega Store like the one I linked is still a local business (in this case with I think 3 locations in the ATL area) & the workers local etc.

In many you do get sharper pricing and superior service/advice vs. the smaller shop that looks like your prototypical small business in some strip mall
Looks like I need to make some new friends, LOL. For the higher end, I usually go to a local wine bar to sample a few and enjoy a glass (or two). I'm single and I just can't justify spending over $40.00 on a bottle of wine, unless it's a special occasion.

That's one thing I miss about Germany. In the Bavarian region the grocery stores carry excellent Italian wines for 6-8 Euros...
To myself: Click expedia, search NYC to Plano/DFW. ....
I'm single and I just can't justify spending over $40.00 on a bottle of wine, unless it's a special occasion.

That's one thing I miss about Germany. In the Bavarian region the grocery stores carry excellent Italian wines for 6-8 Euros... Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
Suggestion: add some of the wines you like and some you'd like to try to your wish list and maybe some will appear.
I am a true wine lover, always up to try something new.

A huge problem is that so many vineyards worldwide are splitting up into separate labels that it's impossible to keep track of who is who.

I tend to lean towards low-volume regionals and consider it a success if I find 1 great bottle out of a mixed case.

My best find to date was a Volnay, d'Angerville (cote-d'or), Premier Cru, 2003. I bought 2 cases for around $650 for both. It's now selling for about $65 per bottle.

Another great find is an Argentine Malbec, Andeluna 2003 that was about $15 per.

I saved labels for many years, but find much inconsistency thru the years by the smaller labels.

Wine Spectator is a valuable resource, but anything they rate over 90 immediately sees a price increase of at least $15/bottle. The best ratings are impossible to find.

For two years now I have offered my local dealer a $100/bottle bonus if he can procure certain Penfolds Grange. Alas, not yet.
Wine Spectator is a valuable resource, but anything they rate over 90 immediately sees a price increase of at least $15/bottle. The best ratings are impossible to find. Originally Posted by SeaDog
That's why the Roederer Rose is such a deal. But we know WS rating can be bought too. Sometime last year someone set up a fake restaurant and got WS to review with accolades. So I take their ratings with a grain of salt.