Is College Still Worth It?

• GP
  • 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Norm Chomsky is the poster child of liberal, tree-hugging professors, and yet: Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Hard to believe isn't it. Will you ever figure me out?
yup,.......................... .. you can always make money with your back

as apposed to "on your back"..although that does pay much higher hourly
Education is way overrated. By no means does having a college degree make you smart. I've met women in the hobby without college doing a whole lot better than me financially and are definitely smarter than me too! And I have four advanced degrees. Originally Posted by mwebber
I always loved this argument as in it always makes me laugh. Why? Because it's an assinine argument.

The purpose of college is to TRAIN you for a particular profession. The end result may be a smarter person, but not necessarily. But, the end result better be a person able to step into a particular field.
Judging from the anti-education sentiments expressed here, perhaps the best way for the U.S. to remain competitive in this knowledge-based world economy is to close down our universities.

I might be delusionary, but my college days were some of the happiest and most rewarding of my life. Apart from having a good time and fostering some life-long friendship, I learned about, not just academics, but analytical thinking, problem-solving, team-work, communications, and the need to balance self-confidence with humility. The fact that my diplomas did open some doors was an added bonus.

As for online education, I'm sure there is a way for it to contribute, but again from my personal experience, since I probably learned more in the cafeteria and the dorms than in the classroom, I would hate to have to spend four years staring at a computer screen in isolation. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
+++++++++++++++++++++++++1
To answer the original question, No. Not from what I can see, unless you are going into a specialized field (medical, law, ect...) Liberal Arts is wasting your parents money. Originally Posted by Autumn Bolan
Except you are leaving one major factor out. Many so-called blue-collar professions are now requiring a college education (any degree) to get promoted. You cannot become a sergeant in the NYPD or FDNY without a degree. And you can't even become a Federal Agent of any sort without a 4-year degree.

There other professions where in the past an education doesn't matter, but are now demanding a college degree. In these times of limited jobs, employers can be this picky.

Thus, even in traditional blue-collar professions, you're earning opportunities are limited without a college education.
The American dream has been selling a bill-of-goods to many that can't or shouldn't partake. The first is, everyone can and should go to college. Having worked in education, I have seen many bright youngsters pushed toward the "college track" who, using one example, are language deficient and struggle to make grades in a very language-based educational system. I have spoken to many "experts" who agree that we should be entertaining the thought of a trade school track starting in middle school. Who among us hasn't thought that being a quality plumber or carpenter would be a great means of employment. They sure get paid fairly well and, if they are in business for themselves, aren't a slave to schedules for vacations. Many of our students hate school by the time they are "allowed" to pursue vocational training during the late HS years; they have possibly dropped out by then, too. The second big lie is, everyone should own a home. Fine, IF you can afford it. I believe these are the same people that suggest that everyone on a team, regardless of how that team does, should receive a trophy. A trophy for everyone on a last place team. For what? Showing up. Now that's a great message. We will reward you for poor performance. Yikes. And I'm a liberal! Originally Posted by richguy2851
I've heard other people state this argument, and it is a good one.

The problem with enacting it has to do with our culture. Your model is the one they use in Europe and Japan. And thereon lies the problem. Those cultures have a longstanding notion of class. Heck, they get tested early and essentially are "forced" into the trade or university track

Here in America, we constantly promote the class-less society and the "American Dream" where anyone can rise up to the top. To enact your model goes against this philosophy and thus will receive a lot of push back to those who will claim you are trying to promote a classed society. And parents of those students who are being "urged" into the trade school route will also be up in arms because you are not giving their child a proper opportunity.

Our culture has to change first.
Paladino Trump 16
The blue-collar middle class that Henry Ford created is vanishing. We are still manufacturing plenty of goods, but our factories are so efficient and automated that they do not need to employ a lot of people. The world economy is knowledge-based. What should our kids do after high school? Originally Posted by jackfengshui
I have been working on a theory that efficiency is a cancer. I see modern efficiency as a small positive, in that it usually improves a function, but a big negative, in that it hurts the whole organism, mankind, by leaving many without a function.

I think of it as a drug that obliterates a disease but also slowly kills the host.

Re the world economy being knowledge based, I suspect that it is, to our ultimate demise. Because as soon as the truth becomes apparent, that we don't know shit, the economy will tank and life will be a reality again. One of these days someone that matters is going to realize that these billion dollar companies like google and Facebook are just shams with no true asset value.
Except you are leaving one major factor out. Many so-called blue-collar professions are now requiring a college education (any degree) to get promoted. You cannot become a sergeant in the NYPD or FDNY without a degree. And you can't even become a Federal Agent of any sort without a 4-year degree.

There other professions where in the past an education doesn't matter, but are now demanding a college degree. In these times of limited jobs, employers can be this picky.

Thus, even in traditional blue-collar professions, you're earning opportunities are limited without a college education. Originally Posted by Always Horny
That ties into what I had written. Specialized Fields. Criminal Justice...
You are BEAUTIFUL Autumn,
I know very little of Chomsky, so I did a little research.

Briefly, I discovered the profile of a man born into opportunity, if not privilege, whose voice of 'dissent' rang clear from the podium of a 55 year professorship at MIT.

I struggle to hear the voice of discontent coming from this sort of privilege. "Let me succeed while I tell the world how it should be better for them. Let me criticize those who provide safety for my bank accounts."

I'd probably like a lot of his work, but at first I see another asshole.
AH,

You are correct about classism. When a culture "values" only the educated and "devalues" the trades as being of a lesser station, which we do, we create a huge divide. What I would hope America does in the future, is modify those European and Asian models to fit into our strongly held beliefs that anyone can get anywhere with a strong enough work ethic. We can only hope. I am a cynic, and you know that a cynic is an idealist with experience. I believe that change will come very slowly on this issue due to the fact that the ones who control that change don't want change.
That ties into what I had written. Specialized Fields. Criminal Justice... Originally Posted by Autumn Bolan
But it's more than that. Like someone mentioned, even manufacturing jobs are becoming so high tech, they require a degree.

My intent is not to get into a semantics argument. My point is more and more "blue collar" jobs are becoming "specialized" to the point they require a degree.
You are BEAUTIFUL Autumn, Originally Posted by Franklin4
Thank you, Franklin!
But it's more than that. Like someone mentioned, even manufacturing jobs are becoming so high tech, they require a degree.

My intent is not to get into a semantics argument. My point is more and more "blue collar" jobs are becoming "specialized" to the point they require a degree. Originally Posted by Always Horny
I agree. What I was trying to say is make sure you've got something picked before you write that tuition check.