What's one thing you can't live without?

My Global and Shun kitchen knives.
Ah books! Several people have mentionned books. I also adore books, but I don't want to use that as my answer. I'll come back to this thread after I think about it a bit.

I just want to comment about books. After my last move, I was left with a garage full of boxes of books. My former house had a library complete with wall-to-wall bookshelves. In my new, smaller home, I don't have room for them.

So I sorted through and only kept a few I treasured, and sold the rest to "Half Price Books". No, you don't get much money for them (about $5-$10 per moving box), but making them available to others who will appreciate them is the main benefit; and having a clear garage is the second.

It's not like I would have gone out to the garage to dig around to find an old favorite. I'd just reserve it at my local library branch and go pick it up .

Growing up in Minnesota I remember a few times being snowed in and hunting through the book shelves for interesting reading material. That feeling of preparedness from having unread books around is now satisfied by getting a new stack from the library every few weeks. Even if I don't read them, I like having the option. I may read a couple and take the rest back to exchange for others.

Anyway I'm in Dallas now so the chance of being snowed in for more than a few hours if verrrrrry low!
Coffee and my sonicare toothbrush...I love that thing!
I thought of my answer: My health club. I go to exercise every day~ 3 for cardio; 2 for strength training; 2 for flexibility (yoga).

When I miss a day I don't mind too much. But when I miss more than a day I really feel deprived. I can't get the same intenisty on my own as I do in classes.

I would give up other luxuries in order to keep my health club membership.
(e.g. my second car, eating out, massages).
that ole saying has me puzzled

still as in quiet so no one knows they "got"?

still as in they still "got" when all around don't?

is it a comparative as in they just think they are poor because they are down to their last $20,000,000 or so when their neighbor doesnt have 20 bucks? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Sorry...I fell out of the deer stand....

But both apply....

I guess that's the reason the word "Got" is used instead of "Have" / Why "Still" is used instead of "Quiet", multiple meanings.
Sorry...I fell out of the deer stand....

But both apply....

I guess that's the reason the word "Got" is used instead of "Have" / Why "Still" is used instead of "Quiet", multiple meanings. Originally Posted by Woody of TX

Damn Woody you have to watch WTF as he does not know when deer season ends unless he is hiding some MLD permits. And heck I will have to give it some thought on what I could not do without. Without a doubt my kids and my family at the top of the list.
Business class is so yesterday. OTOH Emirates Air First Class suites .... Originally Posted by discreetgent
This is about what luxury you can't live without, not don't want to live without...

I really do like business class though.....until last year, I didn't even know they're not really "free" with miles. You STILL have to pay $400 bucks or so! whats up with that??? And I thought you guys on the fancy side had it easy....turns out it its nicer, but isn't free. What are the costs associated with the suites things? (I know, I know....if you don't know, you can;t do it: but i still wanna know?).

Btw I still think its retarded to have sex on a plane - even in the suites. Unless its to like....Australia or something. That's a long time. We all need to get laid when its 14 HOURS or something....
This is about what luxury you can't live without?

My daily fix of message boards.
Little luxuries I just cannot seem to live without.....fresh flowers, wine, and chocolate!
I really do like business class though.....until last year, I didn't even know they're not really "free" with miles. You STILL have to pay $400 bucks or so! whats up with that??? And I thought you guys on the fancy side had it easy....turns out it its nicer, but isn't free. What are the costs associated with the suites things? (I know, I know....if you don't know, you can;t do it: but i still wanna know?). Originally Posted by Sydneyb
International flights require the fees to be paid even if booking a free ticket. Those fees are getting higher and higher so if you flew abroad that might be it.

Those first class private suites: NY-Dubai roundtrip unrestricted started at around $14000, but can now be found for around $11,000. Compared with a BA first class ticket NY-London of about $18,000 it is a bargain
Coffee, chocolate, Christian Louboutin and a good moisturizer.
Business class is so yesterday. OTOH Emirates Air First Class suites .... Originally Posted by discreetgent

You can damn near charter a jet for what Emirates gets for 1st- Maybe not quite.... I have only been in first twice- Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa....Both mileage upgrades and it was amazing.

Example- Houston-Moscow: 1k Back of the bus, 5.7k B class, 11.5k First

The new A-380's have a stand up bar upstairs on Emirates-?!?!?

Business/First- BOTH are much better than the back on long haul flights! First is better yes... but Business is not that damn bad!!!!!
This is about what luxury you can't live without, not don't want to live without...

I really do like business class though.....until last year, I didn't even know they're not really "free" with miles. You STILL have to pay $400 bucks or so! whats up with that??? And I thought you guys on the fancy side had it easy....turns out it its nicer, but isn't free. What are the costs associated with the suites things? (I know, I know....if you don't know, you can;t do it: but i still wanna know?).

.... Originally Posted by Sydneyb
Sydney- Me experience is that it depends on the airline and what fare the ticket was purchased under. Continental will do it with miles only if a M-class (I think) or higher economy ticket is purchased. No Onepass complimentry upgrades on international flights (excluding Mex). I actually don't know Continental's new policies since joining Star Alliance??? Lufthansa will do it with miles only no matter what fare was purchased, same with KLM. For all of 2009 my company has put a stop on all B-Class or First class for everyone other than the execs. So I had to upgrade a lot with miles and/or my $!!!
Houston-->Dubai on Emirates First is 17k!!!!
Aces - at the risk of saying the the airlines actually do something rational from a pricing standpoint - it makes sense that the pricing disparity between classes is so great on long haul flights & they won't let you get a comp upgrade. There is actually some value to 1st/Business on a long flight.

Let's face it: for the hour/2 hour domestic flight once you get past the ego/sense of entitlement thing upgrades really aren't a big deal (assuming you still get preferred coach seating and don't get stuck in the middle seat between two former linemen). Heck it seems these days I fly commuter jets (w/o 1st) more than not and I survive.

Timely article in Tuesday's Times on domestic comp upgrades getting tougher driven by fewer flights (seats) & opening up status qualification to credit card spending/affinity partnerships that don't actually require flights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/bu...rades.html?hpw