Rory Mcilroy wins British Open and happily quacks about how wonderful he is....

Ok let me clarify a little more on why I consider Golf a Game rather than a sport. We can include Bowling and pool in this as well. You don't have much influence on your opponent. For instance in Tennis the manner in which you serve the ball to your opponent could have a great influence on the outcome. In Golf that's not the case you have no direct influence over your opponent. Another point Golf like Bowling and Pool you face more than one opponent during a single contest.

Jim Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin
Using your definition, the sport of track and field would not be a sport. You have little to no influence over your competitors. You simply do the best you can in a given event and hope it's good enough. This is especially true in the field events. Or in the shorter races. Once you get to the 800 meters and above strategy could come into play but you still have to run the race which maximizes your potential to do your best.

I am not a golfer but I certainly consider it a sport. Hand-eye coordination are integral to many sports such as basketball, football and baseball, and very much so in golf. Now Texas Hold-am, which is a staple on ESPN? Not sure whether or not that qualifies as a sport.
Using your definition, the sport of track and field would not be a sport. You have little to no influence over your competitors. You simply do the best you can in a given event and hope it's good enough. This is especially true in the field events. Or in the shorter races. Once you get to the 800 meters and above strategy could come into play but you still have to run the race which maximizes your potential to do your best.

I am not a golfer but I certainly consider it a sport. Hand-eye coordination are integral to many sports such as basketball, football and baseball, and very much so in golf. Now Texas Hold-am, which is a staple on ESPN? Not sure whether or not that qualifies as a sport. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
The debate between Sport vs Game is almost whatever one wants to make it. I've heard people claim Pool and even poker being sports. It's hard for me to imagine an activity in which you can smoke and drink while engaging in it could be considered a sport but that's just me.

Jim
The debate between Sport vs Game is almost whatever one wants to make it. I've heard people claim Pool and even poker being sports. It's hard for me to imagine an activity in which you can smoke and drink while engaging in it could be considered a sport but that's just me.

LOL. As usual you make sense. It took a change of heart for me to consider golf a true sport when I see guys like John Daly be successful at it. I thought if you can be successful in the activity and be almost totally "out of shape" then it is not a true athletic event. I've mellowed over the years.
Rory didn't "paste" the field..................he won by a single stroke. It was anybody's tourney to win going into the closing holes on Sunday evening. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Pasted the field. Didn't miss a shot on the back 9. It wasn't nearly as close as the score would indicate. While lefty was dropping bombs for par Rory was yawning and waiting in the middle of the fairway. Not anybody's, Rory's.

I guess not many caught that quip about Stewart.

Bad things can happen when people do stupid things in dangerous environments.

The Sherrif up there who is handling the investigation said it best. They are doing thorough investigation to ascertain whether a crime was committed. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I don't know the game of racing as well as I know the sport of golf, but the way the now dead dude was storming the track, I sense he should have been easily missable. Stewart fucked up.
Another point Golf like Bowling and Pool you face more than one opponent during a single contest.

Not necessarily. Match play is one on one, and there are other ways to compete. Sport vs. Game is silly semantics. Football is a sport, but you go to a football game. I liked how during one of the recent summer olympics, I heard an announcer claim swimming wasn't a sport, it's an activity. True, but racing is sport. So it has to do with the intent.

Often the intent to not call golf sport is the intent to equate golfers with a lack of fitness. Not unjustified, on average, but show me an unfit golfer and I'll show you a golfer who could get better by getting fit.
Not necessarily. Match play is one on one, and there are other ways to compete. Sport vs. Game is silly semantics. Football is a sport, but you go to a football game. I liked how during one of the recent summer olympics, I heard an announcer claim swimming wasn't a sport, it's an activity. True, but racing is sport. So it has to do with the intent.

Often the intent to not call golf sport is the intent to equate golfers with a lack of fitness. Not unjustified, on average, but show me an unfit golfer and I'll show you a golfer who could get better by getting fit. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
You show me an unfit golfer and I'll show you a guy that throws caution to the wind and knows how to have a good time in the midst of competition. He doesn't take himself all that serious and neither does he with Golf. He may not be so much concerned about winning as he is with living for the moment. Now you show me an unfit Football Player and I'll show you a guy with a death wish.

Jim
It's hard for me to imagine an activity in which you can smoke and drink while engaging in it could be considered a sport but that's just me. Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin

Originally Posted by JCM800
He either struck out or he walked on from the street and the pitchers telling him to "get the fuck out of here". But you can bet Baseball is definitely a sport, and the idiot at the plate is definitely no athlete he should probably go play golf.

Jim
Is trolling sport?

If someone is a pro it is a sport, if someone is a amateur it is a game.
If someone is a pro it is a sport, if someone is a amateur it is a game. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
you just cannot fix being stupid

sport or game. I'd trade paychecks with Rory whatever it was called!
you just cannot fix being stupid

Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
i know no stones I have been trying to help you, but it isn't working.I am sorry it hurt your feelings when I called you stupid I thought you knew.
Who said it ain't brag gin' if you can do it?

The guy has worked his butt off and he's a great golfer, he should be proud of himself, as should those who care for him.

We should celebrate success, not the broken pathologies we do encourage
Who said it ain't brag gin' if you can do it?

The guy has worked his butt off and he's a great golfer, he should be proud of himself, as should those who care for him.

We should celebrate success, not the broken pathologies we do encourage Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
I agree!

In and of itself, 3 consecutive weekend victories on the PGA Tour is no small feat.

And if that is not enough, you then throw in that 2 of the 3 were Majors and the intense level of pressure one must deal wit to win 1 just Major, much less 2. That's what you call 'Major' pressure! x 2

Bottom line: The odds were astronomical against Rory being able to pull that miracle off. Especially for someone that young.

I have never been a Rory fan, but I tip my hat to his success and the amount of work he had to put in to be able to pull it off.

Whether golf is a sport, game or combination thereof is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is that it was a remarkable accomplishment.

I am willing to accept it for what it is and leave the nitpicking to the jealous sumbitches who love to pick nits!

Heck of a job, Rory! (No pun intended)