If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?

That sounds quite wonderful. I lived on the island for two years and lived on the North Shore for one year of that. A stones throw from the Pacific. We would have been a little West of where you are if you are near Turtle Bay. Just a little West of Haleiva. Would love to go back someday.

I concur completely and, lucky me, arrive Oahu in just 13 days, for at least 3 weeks. I actaully bought a one way ticket so I can stay as long as it's working for me! I keep looking at pictures on line and imagining the floral scent of the air. The second I get off the plane the lanquid, moist ambiance embraces me. I slooow down, rent a convertible, buy a lei and spend my days writing in the mornings and beach hopping in the afternoon. This time of year there are surf contests on the Pipeline, which is where I will be staying. Plenty of entertainment.

The North Shore, where my best friend of twenty years lives very simply, is Country. She lives in an Ohana complex, a group of six bungalows which share a common outdoor space. They have a pet pig, no joke, who wanders from home to home begging for scraps. Her name is Priscilla and she wears a pink bandana. We will bar-b-que (not Priscilla!), drink mango margaritas while lounging in hammocks, and listen to whomever wants to stop by and play guitar.

I have done Hawaii in many fashions and just don't see the need to stay in a fancy resort when in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. The Turtle Bay Resort is down the street should I desire a bit more sophistication. I'll wander into the casual restaurant/lounge on the Turtle Bay golf course; I think it's called Lei-Leis. There is a very private beach on the resort where I like to swim topless, and they offer horseback riding in the mornings.

My local friends are extreme sports professionals, sky divers, surfers and kite surfers. We build bonfires and share myths and knowledge about the stars, which hang low and unobstructed in that part of the world. We sleep in tents and around 8am, when the sun heats up the interior, jump into the water and then have an iced coffee from the cooler.

With any luck I'll get to visit another island or two, hopefully Maui. But it doesn't matter; in Hawaii , time stands still and just being in your skin is enough. Originally Posted by ClairJordan
Wasilla, Alaska.
Currently, I'd split my time between Boston and the UK and France. Oh wait....

New Zealand is a place I'd love to visit. I'm not so big on Aus....

Clair...enjoy Hawaii!!!!!!

C x
  • Roark
  • 12-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Cote d'Azur, with great sejours in my beloved Paris...
Cote d'Azur, with great sejours in my beloved Paris... Originally Posted by Roark
Where? Seaside? Hill towns? Which village?
  • Roark
  • 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Ville franche sur mer...mon vieux... I enjoy their melange of Franco- Italian cuisine..
Figures. I tend to gravitate toward the opposite end of the Cote. Bandol, La Cadiere-d'Azur, Le Castellet, etc.
During the '90s I drove a truck for four years and saw all the lower 48 states and every major city except Miami, FL. Saw a lot of pretty country, but my heart and mind always go back to my favorite vacation spot of Cuchara, Colorado. It is my paradise and my escape from the real world.

It's a little rustic, laid back, surrounded by beautiful mountains, and I have a history there that goes back to 1971. Winters are a little rough, but if money's not a concern, I can deal with the cold.

I have tons of pics.
Fantasy or not: TEXAS! And I've stayed for long periods of time in Mexico, Italy, Japan, France and Central America. Nothing compares to life in Texas. Born and raised, not leaving anytime soon.
Monaco or Malta
  • Roark
  • 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Figures. I tend to gravitate toward the opposite end of the Cote. Bandol, La Cadiere-d'Azur, Le Castellet, etc. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I've spent time in Le Ciotat near Marseilles many yrs back which is close to Bandol, Cassis was such a lovely place also.
Figures. I tend to gravitate toward the opposite end of the Cote. Bandol, La Cadiere-d'Azur, Le Castellet, etc. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Of course -- you're a leftie.
Rome wonderful city
I have a house in Northern Mexico that is my ideal place. Slow, quite life in a town that has a slow running, spring fed river through it. Pick a peach from a tree in the yard, sit on the front porch and watch the world go by. Of course, I can’t go there now.

But then I end up getting the itch for big city life and my beloved Texas. Houston may not be ideal to some, but it’s home and I love it.
Where Im at HOUSTON! Ive been around, and it's where I want to be.