I want MY thread reopened

• WTF
  • 10-29-2018, 08:59 AM
“Feigning offense” is just as useful as “feigning ignorance” when it comes to the enforcement of the guidelines here...both mean jack shit... Originally Posted by Wakeup
Were you offended by this post? It was not in any way directed at you other than for clarity. So , I suppose if you were offended and the other Mod heard it offended you....then he would point me, even though you'd both be incorrect in your assumptions.

And if Ellen had gotten any points, I want to go on record as saying I was not offended by her post to me. I thought it was kinda funny. Made me chuckle.

Were you offended by this post? It was not in any way directed at you... Originally Posted by WTF
Lol... keep it up... maybe you'll get re-pointed for re-posting!
Oh yea, I got pointed. I thought it was funny too.

Were you offended by this post? It was not in any way directed at you other than for clarity. So , I suppose if you were offended and the other Mod heard it offended you....then he would point me, even though you'd both be incorrect in your assumptions.

And if Ellen had gotten any points, I want to go on record as saying I was not offended by her post to me. I thought it was kinda funny. Made me chuckle.

Originally Posted by WTF
“Feigning offense” is just as useful as “feigning ignorance” when it comes to the enforcement of the guidelines here...both mean jack shit... Originally Posted by Wakeup
Glad I'm not the only one who can see through it! Yssup, are you listening?
Were you offended by this post? Originally Posted by WTF
I’m not entirely sure y’all are grasping how enforcement of the guidelines works when it comes to gray area guidelines.

Whether or not the person toward whom the insult was directed is offended is entirely irrelevant. Whether or not the person who posted the insult meant it as an insult is entirely irrelevant. What matters is whether or not the Staff member perceived it to be an insult.

Y’all have been insulting each other for so long that some of you have forgotten what an insult is, and the rest of you have gotten so used to seeing them that you don’t perceive them as such. All of that ended when this board came back. I was never a regular poster here, so my vision isn’t blurred by the lens of the past.

I’m the adjudicator of what is and what is not an insult in this forum, and once I make the judgement, I apply it the same way across all members. I don’t care what “side” you’re on.

P.S.-It was a big accomplishment when this forum went a single day without me issuing any infractions. This forum still hasn’t gone a full week without me issuing an infraction. Y’all were pretty close, but some returning members caused y’all to lose your minds. You can be civil here...y’all just don’t want to be.

I’m the adjudicator of what is and what is not an insult in this forum, and once I make the judgement, I apply it the same way across all members. I don’t care what “side” you’re on. Originally Posted by Wakeup
With all due respect, "enforcement" has an educational value to others, but without a disclosure as to what you consider to be a violation of the rules with respect to "insults" it is difficult to avoid a violation when responding to another poster's offensive remarks.
I’m the adjudicator of what is and what is not an insult in this forum, and once I make the judgement, I apply it the same way across all members. I don’t care what “side” you’re on.
Originally Posted by Wakeup
Regarding personal insults and moderation addressed in the OP, we've all witnessed one individual bastardizing another forum member's handle as an insult on a daily basis.

This went on for several days.

The individual being insulted was provoked into making pointable replies. The individual who was provoked is now banned, but the one who employed the bastardized handle as a way to insult is still here.

Perhaps if the poster who employed a bastardized handle to insult the other poster had been reined in in accordance with the new standards that were supposedly being "universally enforced", the banned forum member might still be here.
...it is difficult to avoid a violation when responding to another poster's offensive remarks. Originally Posted by LexusLover
No, it isn’t difficult at all. If you get insulted, you don’t insult someone back, it’s that simple. You let me deal with it. As I’ve told members here in private, if you are having difficulty making a post that doesn’t contain an insult to another member, your time here is going to be very short.

Regarding personal insults and moderation addressed in the OP, we've all witnessed one individual bastardizing another forum member's handle as an insult on a daily basis. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
So?

The individual being insulted was provoked into making pointable replies. The individual who was provoked is now banned, but the one who employed the bastardized handle as a way to insult is still here. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
See above. You being insulted does not give you the right to insult someone else. All that does is determine which infraction I give you for insulting them back. Whether or not a member is still here is based entirely on his or hers number of points. I don’t keep track of that, the system does.

Perhaps if the poster who employed a bastardized handle to insult the other poster had been reined in in accordance with the new standards that were supposedly being "universally enforced", the banned forum member might still be here. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
“Reined in” how, exactly? Ban them? Erase their posts?

I issue infractions...sometimes warnings, sometimes points, to members who violate the guidelines. The system will ban them when they receive a certain number of points. I don’t reign them in, the system does.

Again, y’all do not seem to grasp how the infraction system works. Insults are not going to be erased from this board. The guidelines are very specific as to when Staff are allowed to edit a member’s posts, and insults don’t qualify unless they also fall under one of the editable categories.

“Bastardizing” someone’s handle isn’t an infraction in and of itself. When that “bastardizing” is done in a derogatory or insulting way, then it is. I’ve made that VERY clear here. Calling me “Walkup” isn’t an insult and doesn’t deserve points. Calling me “Assedup” does.
“Reined in” how, exactly? Ban them? Erase their posts?

I issue infractions...sometimes warnings, sometimes points, to members who violate the guidelines. The system will ban them when they receive a certain number of points. I don’t reign them in, the system does.

Again, y’all do not seem to grasp how the infraction system works. Insults are not going to be erased from this board. The guidelines are very specific as to when Staff are allowed to edit a member’s posts, and insults don’t qualify unless they also fall under one of the editable categories.

“Bastardizing” someone’s handle isn’t an infraction in and of itself. When that “bastardizing” is done in a derogatory or insulting way, then it is. I’ve made that VERY clear here. Calling me “Walkup” isn’t an insult and doesn’t deserve points. Calling me “Assedup” does. Originally Posted by Wakeup

I do "grasp" the situation.

If you in fact gave this person a "warning" the first two or three times he used the insulting bastardized handle, you would have been justified in pointing that individual on the next two or TWELVE times he did it over the course of three days. That he did use the insulting bastardized handle TWELVE times over the course of three days -- until the insulted and provoked poster had been banned -- is a good indication that this individual was neither warned nor pointed for doing so prior to the other -- provoked -- poster being banned.

Giving that individual a warning the first three times and then pointing him for subsequent infractions before the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th occasion meets the definition of "reining in".

By your own definition when the bastardization of the handle is employed as a diminutive to deprecate the individual, then it IS indeed an insult.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or insults are in the eye of the moderator. I think you lack the experience to recognize an insult from something else. To some, calling the someone a liberal is an insult though they shouldn't if they believe it's viable. Like walking into a crowded room and saying something about whoremonger. The non mongers will not take offense, the hardcore will not take offense, only the squishy non committed middle would feel they have to object. The PC moderator has created a sliding scale that changes with each instance. We don't need that baby sitting. You want to protect the sight...fine. Do that and no more.
If you in fact gave this person a "warning" the first two or three times he used the insulting bastardized handle, you would have been justified in pointing that individual on the next two or TWELVE times he did it over the course of three days. That he did use the insulting bastardized handle TWELVE times over the course of three days -- until the insulted and provoked poster had been banned -- is a good indication that this individual was neither warned nor pointed for doing so prior to the other -- provoked -- poster being banned. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Way too many incorrect assumptions in this single paragraph to respond to them all. Suffice to say, you’re incorrect.

Giving that individual a warning the first three times and then pointing him for subsequent infractions before the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th occasion meets the definition of "reining in". Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Again, assumptions. Also a lack of understanding about “stacking points”.

By your own definition when the bastardization of the handle is employed as a diminutive to deprecate the individual, then it IS indeed an insult. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Where did I post this definition? I don’t recall saying that. I’ve searched my posts for key words from your statement and cannot find it. Please refresh my memory.

I think you lack the experience to recognize an insult from something else. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
You would be incorrect. I don’t blame you for not knowing who I am, but suffice to say that if anyone on this board recognizes an insult, a backhanded compliment that is an insult, an insult disguised in a word game, or an insult disguised inside another insult, it’s me.

To some, calling the someone a liberal is an insult though they shouldn't if they believe it's viable. Like walking into a crowded room and saying something about whoremonger. The non mongers will not take offense, the hardcore will not take offense, only the squishy non committed middle would feel they have to object. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Everything above is irrelevant.

The PC moderator has created a sliding scale that changes with each instance. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Incorrect. Once I have an interpretation, I enforce it the same for all members.

We don't need that baby sitting. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
What you think you need is irrelevant. What has been chosen for you is at hand. It’s not hard to follow the new guidelines, but as I’ve said, some of you have done it for so long that you don’t even realize it anymore, and that’s going to be a problem for you, not for Staff.
Way too many incorrect assumptions in this single paragraph to respond to them all. Suffice to say, you’re incorrect. Again, assumptions. Also a lack of understanding about “stacking points”. The only alternative "assumption" is to believe the individual making the insults continued to do so after you warned him and the pointed him on multiple occasions: TWELVE times to be exact. That seems very unlikely. So, the natural "assumption" is that this individual was never given a warning or pointed for posting the insults.

Where did I post this definition? I don’t recall saying that. I’ve searched my posts for key words from your statement and cannot find it. Please refresh my memory. In your previous post: "When that 'bastardizing' is done in a derogatory or insulting way." Bastardizing a handle with the intent of diminishing the social, sexual or economic status of the person so addressed is meant to be derogatory; hence, per your posted definition, an insult.

Originally Posted by Wakeup
  • WTF
  • 10-29-2018, 04:22 PM

Whether or not the person toward whom the insult was directed is offended is entirely irrelevant. Whether or not the person who posted the insult meant it as an insult is entirely irrelevant. What matters is whether or not the Staff member perceived it to be an insult.
. Originally Posted by Wakeup
So let me get this straight, if you as a Moderator did not precieve it as an insult, I did not intend it as an insult but another staff member not familiar with this forum precieves it as an insult , then the post is an insult.

Or did you precieve prior posts as insults and the driveby Mod (not meant as an insult but i do not remember his handle ) came in because you are not encouraged to point posters for insulting you?

Either way , the drive by Mod will not respond and you had hinted about a off board way to appeal these obviously unwarranted points. Could you please explain to me and the forum how the appeal process works?

I do applaud your efforts to get these insults under control.

I have been guilty in the past and sometimes old habits are hard to break , points is a wonderful cure....unwarranted points though should have a posted way to adjudicate.
The only alternative "assumption" is to believe the individual making the insults continued to do so after you warned him and the pointed him on multiple occasions: TWELVE times to be exact. That seems very unlikely. So, the natural "assumption" is that this individual was never given a warning or pointed for posting the insults. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Again, you’re incorrect in your assumptions, both in there being “only” one other assumption, and what is a “natural” assumption. You also demonstrate a lack of understanding about stacking points, which no Staff member is going to explain to you.

Bastardizing a handle with the intent of diminishing the social, sexual or economic status of the person so addressed is meant to be derogatory... Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Not absolutely correct, only situationally correct.

So let me get this straight, if you as a Moderator did not precieve it as an insult, I did not intend it as an insult but another staff member not familiar with this forum precieves it as an insult , then the post is an insult. Originally Posted by WTF
Correct. Gray area guidelines are up for interpretation and application by each individual Staff member. What may be an insult here may not be in another forum with different Staff members, and vice versa.

...driveby Mod (not meant as an insult but i do not remember his handle ) Originally Posted by WTF
You do know his handle, since you obviously received a PM from him, and can look up and see the evidence of his handiwork. It’s not an insult because of the implausible explanation you’ve given, but because it simply isn’t an insult. If it was, I’d have issued you an infraction for it. I will issue infractions about other Staff members, just not myself.

Could you please explain to me and the forum how the appeal process works? Originally Posted by WTF
No. Staff doesn’t want every perceived slight by members here to be subject to an appeals process. Staff would be paralyzed dealing with it all. See below. If you feel you have a legitimate grievance, then RTM the post or PM and see if you get a response or not. Otherwise, contact me and if I feel I need to refer my judgement up, I most certainly will.

....unwarranted points though should have a posted way to adjudicate. Originally Posted by WTF
First, your definition of “unwarranted” is irrelevant. Second, this forum generates on average 2.73 times more RTMs than any other forum on this board, just short of 14 per day. Simultaneously, it has a daily posting population less than .12 times the population of the next highest RTM generating forum. If you are asking for Staff to give the members here a way to directly contact someone to question every judgement that they make, then you’re going to be waiting a very long time.

No Staff member is above reproach. A pattern of RTMs to Staff will certainly be investigated and action taken against the Staff member if needed. I’ve run more than one moderator off this board when I was a member, and I knew how it worked even than. Questioning every decision they make isn’t it. Demonstrate a pattern of abuses and RTM those and Staff will look at it.
  • WTF
  • 10-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Thank you for a very informative post, I will pursue your suggestions.

Btw...i am posting on my phone, I do not remember the Mods name. If I would have gone back to look it up I would have then had to retype everything again. So your assumption that my explanation is implausible is incorrect. But I do see how you could have gotten mixed up. No big deal.