If You Could...

Just a music thread but all threads have bs in it Brooke lol Originally Posted by Eccie Addict
LOL! I was doing okay until I got to this post ....

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Originally Posted by Don T. Lukbak
I always thought Micheal McDonald had a nice voice.. He sang the hell out of ain't no mountain high enough

Great call on Stevie Ray, Ike. I used to see him in the local clubs back in the day before he hit the big time. He was amazing... What a loss.
How about Janis Joplin, another Texas great. What a voice!
Great call on Stevie Ray, Ike. I used to see him in the local clubs back in the day before he hit the big time. He was amazing... What a loss.
How about Janis Joplin, another Texas great. What a voice! Originally Posted by Westsideboy
Yeah, I use to see Stevie at clubs in Austin back in the day as well. He was a great guitarist and great live.

As for Janis, I have family in Port Arthur, where she is from and a few that use to party with her back in the 60's. In 2002 I visited Rio de Janiero, brazil for carnival with some friends. We visited a guy there that was an attorney. He was a music lover and in his den he had a life size poster of Janice Joplin. He had all her music in original unopened albums. Collector of everything Janice. WHen he realized I had relatives from her home town , he could not believe it and called all his friends to tell them, someone from Janice hometown was in his house. ( of course I was too young to know her). But he acted as if I knew her...lol

I went to a Rio Sul mall there in the city and purchased about 12 Stevie Ray Vaughn CD's for him....paid about $15 dollars for them...(I miss that exxchange rate...lol) He had never heard of Stevie and fell in love with that music. Great story..........
LOL! I was doing okay until I got to this post .... Originally Posted by Brooke Wild
HEY! Ol' Nusrat can rock out mighty fine. I got a DVD of one of his concerts: the performers stay seated on the ground in sort of a relaxed semi-circle while the crowd goes berserk. His voice control and breath-holding and suchlike are spectacular, and some of those musical instruments they play are pretty cool too. He was a heavy drinker and he up and died so seeing him perform live ain't happening in this life.

As far as I know the Islamists didn't give him any shit at all, despite his being a hard drinking musician. As far as I know.
  • rwksl
  • 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I wish I could sing like Milli Vanilli...

...but of course, so do they.
  • gamma
  • 08-29-2010, 08:59 PM
A few come to mind:
Tony Williams
Michael Poulsen
Ol' Blue Eyes (horrible person, but great voice)
Per Yngve Ohlin

I think it singing can be taught, but it seems to be a rigorous course.
Dude.... I grew in PA and actually met her when I was 8 years old. She had come back to town for her high school reunion. My grandfather took me downtown to see her. Always loved her music..... As for male singers I always liked the "soul-full" white guys and Van Morrison was tops when I was younger. In the 70's though, imho the most soul-full white singer came from the most unlikely place. His name was James Dewar and he was the lead singer for Robin Trower. Dude had some pipes.....
Yeah, I use to see Stevie at clubs in Austin back in the day as well. He was a great guitarist and great live.

As for Janis, I have family in Port Arthur, where she is from and a few that use to party with her back in the 60's. In 2002 I visited Rio de Janiero, brazil for carnival with some friends. We visited a guy there that was an attorney. He was a music lover and in his den he had a life size poster of Janice Joplin. He had all her music in original unopened albums. Collector of everything Janice. WHen he realized I had relatives from her home town , he could not believe it and called all his friends to tell them, someone from Janice hometown was in his house. ( of course I was too young to know her). But he acted as if I knew her...lol

I went to a Rio Sul mall there in the city and purchased about 12 Stevie Ray Vaughn CD's for him....paid about $15 dollars for them...(I miss that exxchange rate...lol) He had never heard of Stevie and fell in love with that music. Great story.......... Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
Definitely a great story. I'll bet that collection of Janis is worth some coin!

I used to see Stevie at Fitzgeralds in the Heights. I love turning people on to great music. Texas has produced some real winners over the years.
Okay ... I can't tell; is this a serious thread or are you guys & gals BSing in here? Originally Posted by Brooke Wild
Are you suggesting that I am BSing?
Roky Erickson
I'm surprised none of the ladies posted this one. This is one of my favorite female singers and she has undeniable talent! Watch that long note she hits around the 4:10 mark!

Rachelle Ferrell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2UsKNzMed4
I wish I could sing like Milli Vanilli...

...but of course, so do they. Originally Posted by rwksl

Captain and Tennille. Who could forget (and lord knows I've tried) that classic, "Muskrat Love?" Maybe that's the anthem of the Furry, people who dress up like giant stuffed animals and have sex. The Captain and Tennille were coming out!
i get tipsy and try to sing Sugarlands "stay" song once in a while. No karaoke queen, id love to be able to sing though.