NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Didn't Dallas do Hard Knocks (already) in 'O2? (sidenote: da boys went 5-11 that season...ooops). Chalk it up as a "been there, done that"....pretty sure Dallas doesn't want to revisit HK anytime soon.

Aside from that, good luck with this venture, Houston....it'll receive nice ratings from your part of the world; can't imagine many outside our borders taking much if any interest. I thought (other than Seattle or New England, of course....GREAT story lines from those squads) the Browns might've been the team of choice per HBO.....or maybe Buffalo (per the Taint Maestro's suggestion....)

Even an attention whores like Rex Ryan and Jerry Jones do not want Hard Knocks. Originally Posted by pyramider
  • Satin
  • 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Um...I never said they did. Just throwing out facts from both sides of the equation. Bottom line, it needs to be a win-win for both and hopefully the Texans can pull it through.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the country views or cares about the Texans. We do, but the jury is still out and will be answered in August.

Justin will surely (hopefully) do his part. Even houstonians here are thirsty for more info on him. After listening to his interview yesterday, he seems less than enthusiast about it. Anyone hear what Coach Bob feels about it? He's been quite....

CB, I agree with your assessment....
While any team can volunteer for it they can also be exempted from being required to participate if: They have a new head coach
They have made the playoffs once in the last two years
They have participated in the last ten years.

Buffalo was not an option unless Ryan wanted it. He's already been there and done that.
Other options were the Browns, Redskins, Vikings, Jags, Titans, Buccaneers, Rams and Giants.
There's not much entertainment value in the whole bunch.

Watt will find a way to take advantage, further his poster boy image and become a national household name. It's what the league desperately needs right now.
"All I know is, you mess with me, you got problems" - JJ Watt

Imo, there is no other better team out there right now to do Hard Knocks than the Texans, and mainly because of one guy, as mentioned above, he is easily the most charismatic player the league has, every time he is mic'd up he puts on a show, the guy clearly watched some Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan growing up, the cameras on him alone will make this an excellent addition of HK. And he might be a good golden boy for the league to cover, but he's the baddest man by leaps and bounds when it comes to on field production.

2nd is BOB, this guy is not a goody-two-shoe like the Falcons coach last year, he talks like a sailor and I'm sure the league is not going to be to happy with the amount of F-bombs he's going to drop, Mike Vrabel will also be chewing players out, I'm sure he's the assistant coach that they will want to focus on. I doubt they will be PG materiel.

3rd reason it's good is because they have a real QB competition, not some sorry 3rd string competition that we saw last year with TJ Yates, a real competition this year for the starting position, I can't remember the last time they had something as important as that to cover on the sow, so that's going to be good TV and good pre season action to follow.

And lastly, Brian Cushing and JD coming back from injuries will be a good story lines to follow, and also Dre is gone and Nuk has to be the man on offense with The Poet, I'm sure they will have interesting things on their to follow.

It will be good for the league, but there will be some good characters and personalities on the show, if the league wanted something good for public perception, they would have just asked the Jags, Browns, or some other sorry team with no direction to be on. This was an easy decision imo, last year the best parts was with that assistant on the Falcons ripping his players apart, and the year before that with Zimmerman dropping F-bombs every other word. Harrison was also good in that season, but Watt is going to be a thousand times better than him, or any other player from last year.

I agree with pretty much everything you said Don, Gonna be getting HBO at least for a few months
  • Satin
  • 05-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Yea I gotta agree with everything said. As usual Don, excellent analysis and great points.

The General found out some great info as well. He said not to discount (C) Ben Jones to get some serious camera time. They all say he's a clown and is a very funny dude. He might emerge as a star...

Also what about the "drama" of The Saints head coach Sean Payton now pulling out of their annual practices with the Texans because of the Hard Knocks factor? As of now, they don't have a 'practice partner' per se. They reached out to the Broncs but were told "thanks but no thanks." It looks like the Saints will take their talents to The Cheatriots now. Assholes...

Don, that was the sickest clip I've ever witnessed for a defensive player. Justin is one sick, freaky dude. Damn.
We're on the clock: it's officially 100 Days Till Kick Off, boys and girls.

CAN'T WAIT.

(By the way, for what it's worth...a baseball note I just saw scrolling via the espn update: the great Babe Ruth retired June 2, 1935; 80 years ago today.)
Satin,Don&CB....you guys are all right on. Cowboys(my team) have been on HK twice. I love that show,it'll be great for houstonions to get in-depth access to the team &see how players interact. On another note,due to many guys pm-ing me about fantasy football,I have decided to not retire& i will play this year...(Cant let my boy Satin win it all this year)soooo....Don....count me in. You got my vote as commisioner.Im sure you'll do better than Goodell or who was our commisioner last year? (Just jokin Ded....) My daughter had a lil girl two weeks a ago,so im damn sure gonna try to repeat....Satin,Don,Ike,&Eazy. ...see you in the playoffs......
WTF is this Thread doing on page 2??? Football aint ever gonna be on page 2!!!!
Listening to the talk shows am drive yesterday. Word is that the QB situation is not good as everyone is looking terrible. Hoyer is looking the best of the worst. They got cute on the QB position and waiting too long to take one. I guess they thought it was like running back and they could just plug anyone in there if their system is good enough.
The QB play will be shitty, but it will still be better than the Dopey Days!!!

D should be pretty damn tough. If Philosofoster stays healthy(I know I know big Mfing if) we should be in the hunt for a playoff Birth. Colts suck except for fucking Luck. Surely the years with a drunken douche owner will catch up to the Colts sooner or later.
Listening to the talk shows am drive yesterday. Word is that the QB situation is not good as everyone is looking terrible. Hoyer is looking the best of the worst. They got cute on the QB position and waiting too long to take one. I guess they thought it was like running back and they could just plug anyone in there if their system is good enough. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I heard the same things. Mallet apparently looked really unpolished. I think the system will have something to do with it. My hope is that BoB was pushing the limits of the system and that was what was holding Mallet and Hoyer back. My guess is that now he has a better understanding of what they can actually handle and will be focusing in training camp on building their confidence back up after tearing them down in OTA's

Tebow! I hate to say it but I told y'all this shit was going to happen last year when the talk started about trading for Mallet. Good thing is we aren't tied up in stupid contracts with any of these guys.

Just based on defense we could get to the playoffs. I would expect a team that looks more like the Ravens rather than the Pats. No big plays or playmakers on offense but no big mistakes by taking chances either. Let the defense keep you in games and have an offense capable of taking advantage of the short field the defense gives you. In other words...Three yards and a cloud of dust with the occasional downfield pass, when it can't hurt you too bad, to keep the other teams defense honest.

BoB has a reputation as a QB whisperer. Sound like he's gonna earn it if he's gonna keep it.
  • Satin
  • 06-24-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm starting to feel pretty good about our defense. The optimistic side of me says:

1. We have the best defensive player in the league with Justin James Watt
2. If we can get some good games from Big Vince plugging up the middle and drawing double teams
3. If The Clown can get healthy and regain his form
4. Cushing says he's back and is fully healthy and has his range back....if he really is, oh boy
5. We got a quality safety in Rahim Moore
5. They resigned KJ (4 year $34 million) AND JJo (3 year $22.5 million) so the corner situation should be great

If all of this can actually happen (a big ass IF) we can easily have a top 5 defense in the league.

On a different note, anyone see the new trailer for the Texans Hard Knocks? They show more of the other teams on the first 9 years than they do of the Texans. But it starts and ends with Justin and rightfully so....cause like He says if you mess with him, you got problems!
SR 610 is confirming that Manning trade talks did actually take place.
I'm starting to feel pretty good about our defense. The optimistic side of me says:

1. We have the best defensive player in the league with Justin James Watt
2. If we can get some good games from Big Vince plugging up the middle and drawing double teams
3. If The Clown can get healthy and regain his form
4. Cushing says he's back and is fully healthy and has his range back....if he really is, oh boy
5. We got a quality safety in Rahim Moore
5. They resigned KJ (4 year $34 million) AND JJo (3 year $22.5 million) so the corner situation should be great

If all of this can actually happen (a big ass IF) we can easily have a top 5 defense in the league.

On a different note, anyone see the new trailer for the Texans Hard Knocks? They show more of the other teams on the first 9 years than they do of the Texans. But it starts and ends with Justin and rightfully so....cause like He says if you mess with him, you got problems! Originally Posted by Satin
I don't even think all of it has to happen. I think you can still lose a cog in that wheel and be a great defense. Whether it's Clowney not coming back, Cushing not being what he showed in OTA's or even Tebow forbid something happens to JJ.

We had better find out that the Manning trade talks broke down on the Bronco's side not here. If we get four weeks in with a 2-2 record, or worse, and have lackluster QB performances they'll be able to hear the screams for Rick Smith's head in Denver.