NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I agree on Mallett but I just have a hunch that BoB is sold on Hoyer for some reason. He had one good pass that was more about the defense left one WR totally uncovered. The other passes did not look anything great but BoB seems to be ready to name him starter. I also thought Mallett look pretty good. And I agree about Savage. What I don't want to see is a year wasted on Hoyer and toward the end of the year Savage gets some starts and the team starts planning on Savage for the following year. Heck, go ahead and have him start now. Look at Titans and Jags They are going with their young guys right off the bat.

On Hoyer I think most of the league has him figured out. He may look ok in practice and in some preseason but he did the same with the Browns but then fell apart as the season went on. I think once the season starts the rest of the league will know how to handle Hoyer and it will be another year wasted as the teams figures out the QB position. That is what I am really worried about Originally Posted by BigLouie
The problem I see with the scenario of Savage getting snaps late due to injury or performance on the other two's part is the same concern I had with Mallett last year. I thinck that's your point, though.
He got that one Cleveland game where he looked great then injured the next. The team and the fan base seemed to thinck he was good enough, based on one good game, to be our QB of the future. You're right, we need to know if one of these guys is it but are we willing to tank the season to find out when we have enough good players in enough positions to make a deep run? The Titans and Jags have nothing to lose. If they have a .500 season they'll consider it a win.

I don't think anyone expects Hoyer or Mallett to be Peyton or Brady but is it possible for them to be Eli or Flacco? That's the question. If the answer is no then absolutely you start Savage and let him play out the season. Otherwise you've lost another year with Hoyer or Mallett leading us to a mediocre season, maybe a quick trip through the playoffs if we're lucky

I was wrong on Mallett's stats. It was 10 of 11 for 90 yards. 9 yards per completion. 8 yards per attempt. 0 touchdowns although the one pas he missed should have been a TD had it not been a PI and it was a really good pass. I'm not sure it was all first team defense but it was 2nd quarter and the DB that interfered did the only thing he could do on that pass.

Savage was 8 of 14 for 97 yards. 12 yards per completion 7 yards per attempt.

Some of Mallet's attempts came against first team players. I don't thinck any of them were out there for Savage's 4th quarter.

I'd like to see Savage get some reps with the first team O against first team D.

Hoyer was 2 of 4 for 67 yards and a TD. 58 of those yards came on a TD pass that, as BL said, the defense completely missed the assignment and Shorts was wide open. Good on Hoyer for picking it up but those don't happen that often.

To me Mallett seems to have the most upside. However, if I'm going to rip Foster's professionalism and say he can't change his stripes I have to question Mallett's too since it was an issue coming out of College. Mallett has far and away better tools than Hoyer and given that alone he should be the clear cut starter. Since he isn't then something else is obviously going on.
610 radio guys had said before that the coaches felt that Mallett had a little too much "Malibu's Most Wanted" in him. That was the movie about the white kid from Malibu who tried to act black. The morning and afternoon crew talked about it do something must be there and it was held up add the reason the coaches like Hoyer better
Su'a Filo is hurt and out. Could this be another mid round bust?
610 radio guys had said before that the coaches felt that Mallett had a little too much "Malibu's Most Wanted" in him. That was the movie about the white kid from Malibu who tried to act black. The morning and afternoon crew talked about it do something must be there and it was held up add the reason the coaches like Hoyer better Originally Posted by BigLouie
You've posted that before. I've never seen the movie. I'm not sure how a white guy trying to act black should affect the coaches evaluation of his abilities. There are lot's of great black players in the league.

What exactly are you trying to say? That it's an attitude problem? Or something else?
Su'a Filo is hurt and out. Could this be another mid round bust? Originally Posted by BigLouie
BoB is clearly not happy with that situation.

Louis Nix got the start Saturday and made it through the game without injury...or stats. Oh, well...at least he made it. It takes some of these guys a little longer to mature to a professional level. Teddy J on 610 talked about that last week in a bit of a defense of Su a Filo's lack of progress so far.

I thinck BoB had full say in this year's draft. I wonder how much he was intimidated into taking some guys he wouldn't have otherwise taken in the 2014 draft simply because he was new.

610 is just a shrill for the Texans so I found it curious that BOTH the morning show AND the afternoon show went on and on about how the coaching staff thought Mallet had this type of attitude in him. This tells me there is some truth to it and why they went and got Hoyer
So, are you saying that some thinck it might be more important to Mallett to come across as black than it is to be the best professional athlete he can be?
Malibu MW Mallett!!! LOL.
I don't know. I don't get the MMW angle.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:6347583

I spent some time in NW Louisiana. Watching that clip with Gruden I see and hear backwoods Texarkana which is a far cry from that MMW clip.
He'll pull a titty before the season even starts and they'll be stuck with Hoyer.
Lookin forward to installment 2 of Hard Knockers ! (oh wait, that's what I get when I am with a provider with bad MM's)
Gotta love Bill MFing O'Brien!! That is a football coach. Far cry from Kubes thank God!!!
Interesting episode. Seems the whole team is not as far along as any of us might imagine. BoB seemed to indicate the whole team was not communicating well on the field. One thing for sure, no favorites and no one is going to slide by.

To wrap up Mallett and MMW thing. What was interesting on 610 was that two crews talked about this. They said that the organization had no problem at all with the effort Mallett was putting out. His work on learning the system and doing the work was fine. Seems they just didn't like his personality. I kinda wonder if this is McNair. I remember a story once about McNair nit picking the draft board on why he did not want the player before a draft and when he was finished there was no one left on the Texans draft board. We'll see how things shake out in the next few games but they way everyone on 610 is so sold on Hoyer being the guy without any real proof kinda smells.
I agree, Mallet just doesn't have that all American QB look or sound. Whether it's MMW or Arkansas Sling Bladeism who knows. But there have been other southern boy QB;s that have had success. I like our coach more and more because of Hard Knocks, I think he will make the best decision for us.
I watched that clip with Gruden again. The first time I watched it I was looking for the MMW. While I didn't see that something didn't quite sit right so I went back and watched it again not really looking for anything in particular and I have a bit of a different take this time around.

Seems to me that Mallett may have some confidence issues. Yeah he comes across as confident at first but when you really listen to how he interacts with Gruden he comes across with a little fake cockiness, like it's a put on and he's really trying to cover up a weakness. Now, in all fairness, maybe that was nerves but Gruden tried to put him at ease like he does in all of those interviews. He tries to turn it into a conversation rather than an interview. Gruden is known, though, for exposing their weaknesses when he does those interviews too. If Mallett was intimidated maybe he does have something to hide. Didn't Gruden expose Vince Young's lack of knowledge of the Texas offense showing that he was one dimensional?

A good example of that possible lack of confidence is the QB sneak on Saturday and his reaction to BoB's scolding for doing it. BoB seemed pissed that Mallett went with a bad call and didn't question it. Mallett's reaction to the scolding seemed a little too defensive. Instead of taking the coaching BoB was trying to give he pointed the finger at Godsey for calling a bad play. I'm not sure BoB's point ever hit home.

For those reasons, I like Mallett a little less.