NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Idk why anyone takes the Combine serious when it doesn't prove anything.
Idk why anyone takes the Combine serious when it doesn't prove anything. Originally Posted by Fishpie
For QB it shows if he has the arm to make the throws. There is no pressure from rushers and the like. The QB just stands there and makes throws. Should be simple. But when a QB can't make them in this simple drill is alarms everyone.

Have you noticed how the Titans and Jags are making some very good signing during the free agent period and the Texans are losing one the O-line man they were counting on and have failed to sign the RB they were looking at. Not looking good. And I do not expect they to sign Brock at QB. I think the team is being used to get max dollars out of Denver. Texans have too many holes on offense to make this an attractive team to sign with. No real RB, just 1 WR, no TE to speak of and now losing one of their better O-line. Not looking good.
Yep,
Ben Jones is reportedly gone to Tennessee and Brandon Brooks is most likely going to get stupid money thrown at him.

They need to stop dicking around with shitty QB's and pick a guy, get him and commit to developing him to start day 1. If they sign Brock, fine, they need to spend that 1st round pick on a stud RB. I like Derrick Henry. Then they need to go after some offensive linemen. They may be able to sign a FA but if the market is as high as it seems it's going to get they either need to cough up some money or find that stud lineman in the draft.

If they don't sign Brock then they need to commit to Savage or decide on someone in the draft, get the guy and don't look back.

Jacksonville is getting better on defense adding a key piece in Malik Jackson to an already good D-Line and their offense should start coming together this year.

Tennessee and Indy will start making deals today. They have their QBs. If the Texans don't step up they're going to be cellar dwelling and scratching their collective asses wondering WTF happened for them to go 6-10.
Totally agree Boardman, by the end of the week the Texans could be looking rather weak.
Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

^^^^
Part of the synopsis on Tom Brady's 2000 combine report. He had a legendarily terrible combine and not just throwing. It's amazing he got drafted at all.

The combine is one part of the puzzle. Throwing without pressure doesn't tell you everything you need to know. Probably a more telling drill that they do at the combine is just pure velocity in order to test sheer arm strength but even that doesn't tell you everything like mechanics and release point in the pocket. Watching these guy's game film and how they play under real pressure like coming from behind should tell you more than a single combine drill. It's one part of the puzzle.

Some of these guys don't even throw at the combine because it's not natural nor comfortable for them. They throw at their pro day instead. Wasn't it JFF that threw at his pro day with a coach chasing him around with a broom? Mettenberger threw at his pro day in shoulder pads and helmet because that's how he practiced and played.
That the owner GM and coach have said next to nothing about Savage tells me they do not think he is the QB with a future
Texans to sign Brock just looked up his stats from 2015. He was worse than Hoyer!
They backdoored and picked up Lamar Miller from Miami...
I like the Lamar Miller signing better than Brock for the Texans...

Miller is only 24 and a decent back, jury is still out on Brock...
You still need more playmakers on offense
Lurch has landed...or will shortly...only for $72 mil

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...201703008.html
only for $72 mil

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...201703008.html Originally Posted by oilfieldscum
GEEZUS...$72 Million!!!!?????

I'm in the wrong profession, with the way these owners are throwing money at these "unproven" players I should have been an agent
Yep $72 million and still don't have a bona fide NFL starter.
As long as you're part of the entourage you get a cut of that contract.
Well that is a shit ton of money for another fucking backup, but Osweiller is better than anything we had.

I like Weeden as the backup.

Savage sucks, Hoyer sucks,

The Miller signing is a good one, as he is fast. We need OL for sure.
Better hope Big Duane Brown comes back at 100%.

I am slightly more pumped than yesterday.