Chick Fil A, Gay Marriage & The Bloggers...

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
  • WTF
  • 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do Originally Posted by discreetgent
Yea but seven is the scariest
Seven of Nine was pretty sweet, considering she was Borg.
I agree with this blogger...: That’s the problem with gay rights groups, they take everything out of context and try to shove their sexuality down your throat and then they are upset and start protesting if you don’t like it.

Chic Fil -A is a christian based business that upholds its values that were put in place. Why knock down the door on a business or belittle them for sticking to what they believe? Gays rights groups are the only ones that want everything change to appease them. Heck...go open your own GayFilA and serve who you want and when you want (sundays).

they are no different from churches standing up for what they believe in the Bible. Gays stand up all the time....go bark up another tree like our governmental political problems.

This country is way upside down. I am surprised it is not looking like the middle east. We have overturned God and other "forefounded" principles to the fact we we pollute everything without thought.
It seems, when it comes to parody, Sarah Palin and the Tea Party are fair game, but . . .

GLAAD Outraged at 'SNL' Transgender Skit

http://www.popeater.com/2011/02/02/g..._lnk3%7C198787
That’s the problem with gay rights groups, they take everything out of context and try to shove their sexuality down your throat and then they are upset and start protesting if you don’t like it.

Chic Fil -A is a christian based business that upholds its values that were put in place. Why knock down the door on a business or belittle them for sticking to what they believe? Originally Posted by windowshopper
Perhaps the core of this whole problem is that there are people who are willing to put these two sentences together into one philosophy on life.

"It's OK for somebody to stand up for themselves so long as their viewpoint matches mine." = current foundation of American society.

Sad,
Mazo.
It seems, when it comes to parody, Sarah Palin and the Tea Party are fair game, but . . .

http://www.popeater.com/2011/02/02/g..._lnk3%7C198787 Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Oh come on Hank. Would you like me to list about 500,000 weblinks about the right complaining about the media?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Oh come on Hank. Would you like me to list about 500,000 weblinks about the right complaining about the media?

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac

Not surpriseing. That number of complaint links probably doesn’t begin to approximate the number of times the right/conservatives have been lampooned and parodied by the liberal media.
Not surpriseing. That number of complaint links probably doesn’t begin to approximate the number of times the right/conservatives have been lampooned and parodied by the liberal media. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Well what do you expect when you guys make yourselves such easy targets!

Cheers!
Mazo.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/02/02/g..._lnk3%7C198787 Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Exactly
I had a professor once who said, "There's an exception to every rule, including this one."

Making blanket statements about what constitutes unlawful discrimination is fraught with problems. For the most part, I would say that hiring on the basis of race is probably illegal by any entity in the US.

However, hiring on the basis of national origin may be acceptable. Here is a quote from an HR attorney:
"And then sometimes the courts will allow exceptions for reasons of authenticity," such as when a Chinese restaurant hires only Chinese waiters. In such cases, "the defense has been, 'Part of our appeal is that we create an authentic environment. We have the correct decorations, and we need to have the correct waiters, because that's what the customers pay for,'" she says. "Some courts have accepted such a defense; others haven't. It's a question of what is being sold--food alone or food plus atmosphere."
As Mazo pointed out, there is an exclusion in the law for churches. For instance, a Catholic church may lawfully hire only Catholics. The same is true for other religious-based 501c3 orgs. For instance, Bob Jones University is allowed to have a "faith" test prior to employing someone. However, the school may pay a hefty price when it accepts federal funds. If I remember correctly, it's not the funds that students get as a part of their scholarship/loan package (since the gov't must offer it to every student regardless of faith), but rather any federal funds distributed directly to the school.

An entity can also escape some problems by its character. A mom & pop grocery that is on a city street (not a highway) that has (I think) fewer than 5 employees is not subject to the law.

CFA, however, engages in interstate commerce, is a multi-state corporation, and has the requisite number of employees necessary to make them obey the law with regard to unlawful discrimination.

And I'm going to disagree with Mazo. Even assuming that Covenant is a publicly traded company, operates an interstate business and has the requisite number of employees, it has the perfect right to establish company policies and slogans. It has NO right to screen potential employees or make hiring and firing decisions based on its religious position, however, if it makes known to potential employees that they will be in trucks with that message, then the employees or potential employees have the right to make the decision to go forward. Now, if Covenant said to potential employees, "You have to sign this statement of faith to get the job," then that would be problematic, I think.

What am I saying here? These are case by case issues, and whether or not it is unlawful discrimination is dependent on the facts of each case.
However, hiring on the basis of national origin may be acceptable. Here is a quote from an HR attorney:
. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Same is true with gender.

Hooters gets sued regularly about hiring only women servers & the suits lose. It is part of the character of the product.

I imagine the same would hold for tittie bars
  • WTF
  • 02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
tittie bars Originally Posted by atlcomedy
What are those?
drag ur arse to Hotlanta and I'll give ya a tour