Warning Dont go her Kansascity,Missouri

They said it was Sam but I didn't know. Is that the same family as the Honda dealerships? Yeah, dunno about those two guys but they looked scary enough. Originally Posted by BobInKC
Yes, he is the Uncle of Frank. Sam Ancona was Uncle Nicky's laison with the Union, If I am remembering correctly he was secretary of local 41 teamsters.
I met Joe several times, both before his injury and after. Some guy got "loud" in his place, Joe followed him out to the parking lot; the guy hit him with his car and caused a head injury that put Joe in the hospital for a long time. He was never the same. While he was in the hospital, the place was closed and Joe forgot to renew his business license with the City of KCMO. He was trying to keep it open to keep the liquor license for that part of town, and any future development in the River Market; everyone could see that was what was going to happen. Mayor Cleaver (If I remember right) said that he could not have it renewed. Joe tried to open without a current license, and he invited a lot of the people from the River Market area over for free food. In the end, the City got what it wanted. The property was sold without the liquor license. Cleaver did make the statement that having dancing girls in the Market was like having a toilet in your living room. He wanted all of it closed.

I met Joe In the 70's because I bought property in the Market area when it was very low. Even sold properties were abandoned, or went back to the previous owners. I sold all of the properties in the Market a few years ago before Obama. Things may improve again when O is no longer in office.

JR Originally Posted by JRLawrence
Actually Wheeler was Mayor, Berkly became Mayor in 1979 but by then the war was over, Joe and Willie had been indicted for extorting Fred Bonadona, and then Joe died in 1980, I attended the funeral. Cleaver at that time was in his first year on the city councel. The license issue was pushed by Freddy who wanted to maintain a monopoly in the quey and he wanted to maintain control of the leased city property which was used for parking. Willie Cammisano wanted in on the leases and Joe wanted to located a second bar to the area. Bonadona went to city councelman Herandez who put pressure on the liquor control board to turn down license requests, in the end they got the licenses but the damage was done so Bonadona flipped to the feds. I am not denying your story only adding a little more insight.
Actually Wheeler was Mayor, Berkly became Mayor in 1979 but by then the war was over, Joe and Willie had been indicted for extorting Fred Bonadona, and then Joe died in 1980, I attended the funeral. Cleaver at that time was in his first year on the city councel. The license issue was pushed by Freddy who wanted to maintain a monopoly in the quey and he wanted to maintain control of the leased city property which was used for parking. Willie Cammisano wanted in on the leases and Joe wanted to located a second bar to the area. Bonadona went to city councelman Herandez who put pressure on the liquor control board to turn down license requests, in the end they got the licenses but the damage was done so Bonadona flipped to the feds. I am not denying your story only adding a little more insight. Originally Posted by dirty dog
I am trying to remember the names. I think you are talking about the Father. The Cammisano that I have talked with several times in the area was a son; I don't know if he was active with the old timers or not. I began to acquire property in the area in the early 80's before the push to develop the market area. It was the son who was running Cotton Eye Joe. As far as I was concerned he kept a close control on what went on outside the bar. Once, He sent a guy to borrow an extension cord. He invited everyone to have chicken he fixed on his grill in the parking lot.

A lot of the Italian community had families working and living in the area. I was very quiet in the area, but I talked to people. If you are around people just want to know who you are.

The North Side (South of the River) and in the River Market there was a phone chain if there was a problem. If you saw guys going out to the street, you knew someone had spotted something. In the living area, most of these people are related, and go to the same church. In the market, a lot of them were related. Things have changed a lot now.

JR
I am trying to remember the names. I think you are talking about the Father. The Cammisano that I have talked with several times in the area was a son; I don't know if he was active with the old timers or not. I began to acquire property in the area in the early 80's before the push to develop the market area. It was the son who was running Cotton Eye Joe. As far as I was concerned he kept a close control on what went on outside the bar. Once, He sent a guy to borrow an extension cord. He invited everyone to have chicken he fixed on his grill in the parking lot.

A lot of the Italian community had families working and living in the area. I was very quiet in the area, but I talked to people. If you are around people just want to know who you are.

The North Side (South of the River) and in the River Market there was a phone chain if there was a problem. If you saw guys going out to the street, you knew someone had spotted something. In the living area, most of these people are related, and go to the same church. In the market, a lot of them were related. Things have changed a lot now.

JR Originally Posted by JRLawrence
I gotcha your talking about the second renovation of the Farmers market/river quay/river market. I think it was actually Vito's kid who ran cotton eye joes after Joe died. I did not know him well but your right I believe his name was Joe also he also had a grandson name Phil who was trying hard to follow in the footsteps. In the 80's the area was still pretty active just very low key, Same for Columbus park and along the Ave. Ralphie still had his grocery store in the park. Its much the same way now, you just have to know where to look and who to look for. But I do know what you speaking about with the "neighborhood watch". 5th street in Columbus park was the hub of mob activity in the 70's with the Social Club located on the corner of 5th and troost.
Irishmen?? Sicilian my friend. Originally Posted by dirty dog
I know it was a left handed attempt at humor..
I know it was a left handed attempt at humor.. Originally Posted by malwoody
I knew that, just didnt want to confuse the rest of the youngsters