Lets Talk Football

check!

only Roger and Arnie created true companies to gain the their true wealth. Magic, BronBron, Tigger Woodchuck, Jordo, et el got at least 50% of their net from endorsements. Roger and Arnie stand above the pretenders Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
didn't john elway have a string of auto dealerships he sold for $500 mil or so?
didn't john elway have a string of auto dealerships he sold for $500 mil or so? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
I know he owned several dealerships, don't know that he sold them. I walked 18 holes with him in Mario Lemieux's golf outing. He's a big guy. Hits it long. His one knee was really bad. It was like he was dragging that leg to walk. Really a nice guy. He didn't swear, a lot of gosh darn its and oh boys after bad shots!
America's Team? What a fucking joke. Originally Posted by bambino

Tread lightly, bambino. I think my Cowboys won a certain game played at Heinz Field a month or so ago so be respectful, sir.

As you know, the Cowboys (neither the team nor the fans) never asked for that nickname. You're a student of the game; I know you know the story:

Ed Sabol's *editor-in-chief for NFL Films concocted it one day in order to give a title to the video chronicling the Cowboys 1978 season. (*Bob Ryan later said had he known it'd been so successful, he'd have bought the rights to the name).

While Tex Schramm loved it (for branding / marketing purposes) Landry, Staubach and others on the team absolutely hated it. Landry felt it "pissed off" the the rest of the league and only added fuel to opponents playing them.

While some fans embraced it (back then) others were "ho-hum" about it. Personally, as a young man (then...sigh) I didn't care if they were "America's" team...I was simply proud they were my team.

Resentment festered for years (decades now) as this moniker stuck no matter the Cowboys record. The media made sure that it never went away....television in particular played their part. For them, it was a selling point.

Ask any of the networks top brass (FOX...ESPN...NBC...CBS..); they'll ALL tell you the same: the Dallas Cowboys guarantee eyes / viewership no matter who they play....they are Ratings GOLD.

When asked (in an interview years ago) about the upcoming NFL schedule and programming, Roone Arledge, creator of ABC's Monday Night Football said, "Give me the Dallas Cowboys each week, every week, the entire season for all I care..." CBS, who had the NFC schedule rights at the time, took exception to that for obvious reasons.

Many fan bases have wanted the nicknamed stripped from the Cowboys and "awarded" to them...as if it were some kind of a trophy to be passed around. Tell that to the Packer fans (who proclaimed themselves decades ago as "Titletown"). When you hear "Win, baby, win" do you think of the Dolphins?...the Browns..? Of course not. You think Raiders (even though they've been in a drought until recently). Certain things just "stick" to certain teams...its the way it is.

I'm sorry Pittsburgh fans or New England fans feel resentment over this (it's been bantered about that their franchises were more deserving as of late). Personally, we really don't care. Call us what you want...we just want to get back to collecting Lombardi Trophies (again), that's all.
I know he owned several dealerships, don't know that he sold them. I walked 18 holes with him in Mario Lemieux's golf outing. He's a big guy. Hits it long. His one knee was really bad. It was like he was dragging that leg to walk. Really a nice guy. He didn't swear, a lot of gosh darn its and oh boys after bad shots! Originally Posted by bambino
looked it up...Elway sold to autonation (wayne huizenga) in largely an all stock deal valued back in '97 at about 82.5 million when the stock was $30 per share

the stock is at 48.17 today (no splits since Elway sold), who knows if he still has any

swearing is for losers...most swearers i know are dimocrat
Tread lightly, bambino. I think my Cowboys won a certain game played at Heinz Field a month or so ago so be respectful, sir.

As you know, the Cowboys (neither the team nor the fans) never asked for that nickname. You're a student of the game; I know you know the story:

Ed Sabol's *editor-in-chief for NFL Films concocted it one day in order to give a title to the video chronicling the Cowboys 1978 season. (*Bob Ryan later said had he known it'd been so successful, he'd have bought the rights to the name).

While Tex Schramm loved it (for branding / marketing purposes) Landry, Staubach and others on the team absolutely hated it. Landry felt it "pissed off" the the rest of the league and only added fuel to opponents playing them.

While some fans embraced it (back then) others were "ho-hum" about it. Personally, as a young man (then...sigh) I didn't care if they were "America's" team...I was simply proud they were my team.

Resentment festered for years (decades now) as this moniker stuck no matter the Cowboys record. The media made sure that it never went away....television in particular played their part. For them, it was a selling point.

Ask any of the networks top brass (FOX...ESPN...NBC...CBS..); they'll ALL tell you the same: the Dallas Cowboys guarantee eyes / viewership no matter who they play....they are Ratings GOLD.

When asked (in an interview years ago) about the upcoming NFL schedule and programming, Roone Arledge, creator of ABC's Monday Night Football said, "Give me the Dallas Cowboys each week, every week, the entire season for all I care..." CBS, who had the NFC schedule rights at the time, took exception to that for obvious reasons.

Many fan bases have wanted the nicknamed stripped from the Cowboys and "awarded" to them...as if it were some kind of a trophy to be passed around. Tell that to the Packer fans (who proclaimed themselves decades ago as "Titletown"). When you hear "Win, baby, win" do you think of the Dolphins?...the Browns..? Of course not. You think Raiders (even though they've been in a drought until recently). Certain things just "stick" to certain teams...its the way it is.

I'm sorry Pittsburgh fans or New England fans feel resentment over this (it's been bantered about that their franchises were more deserving as of late). Personally, we really don't care. Call us what you want...we just want to get back to collecting Lombardi Trophies (again), that's all. Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
I knew the story and that Schram loved the name. But there's a certain arrogance to it. The Cowboys have one of the highest market values in all of sports. I get it. But there are Steelers Bars in every NFL city. And Steeler fans sometimes outnumber the home fans in some cities they visit. I preferred the Johnson era Cowboys and the current version. They play a physical style of football. Landry's teams were finesse oriented.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowb...eelers_rivalry

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...re_100414.aspx
I had to bump this thread KC is the number 2 seed with a 1st round bye go Chiefs
I had to bump this thread KC is the number 2 seed with a 1st round bye go Chiefs Originally Posted by gary5912
They got a lot of help when Carr broke his fibula!

I don't dislike the Chief's but the fans are ridiculous. They start running around screaming "Superbowl" as soon as they win their first pre-season game. And the KU fans are even worse!
They got a lot of help when Carr broke his fibula!

I don't dislike the Chief's but the fans are ridiculous. They start running around screaming "Superbowl" as soon as they win their first pre-season game. And the KU fans are even worse! Originally Posted by love2fishfork
I don,t remember saying anything about a super bowl but if it makes you feel better about the raiders losing say what you want
I remember KC beating Oakland twice this season