Church's and Violence Tomorrow?

• Tiny
  • 04-12-2020, 12:18 PM
What "children"? The parents make the decision about their children and not you, or any Loon advocating the control of how people run their lives. You again inappropriately ASSUME that all children are exposed to the virus .... or have been ..... and you have no FACTS to support that ASSUMPTION! You people want to turn this country into a Communist China and using the threat of this virus to do so! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Sorry, you're right about children, they won't die from this. Children will transmit the coronavirus to other people though.

Also sorry if I can't reply to some of your questions, like about the co-worker and the first amendment, as you're kind of incoherent.
I still contend the asshole going to Wally World daily to make sure he can stock up on TP is more dangerous than the church goer on Easter Sunday. Originally Posted by eccielover
"stock up" ..... the word is HOARD! Rhymes with WHORED!
Sorry, you're right about children, they won't die from this. Children will transmit the coronavirus to other people though.

Also sorry if I can't reply to some of your questions, like about the co-worker and the first amendment, as you're kind of incoherent. Originally Posted by Tiny
What's "incoherent" is your FAKE ASSUMPTIONS to justify depriving others of their Constitutional Rights! It's OK with you to allow a parent to kill their child before it's born (and JUSTIFY IT ON THE BASIS OF AN IMPLIED CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT), but you get all choked up about the POSSIBILITY of a child passing a sickness to someone else .... TO JUSTIFY WIPING AWAY SPECIFICALLY AND COHERENTLY STATED CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.... GO TAKE A BREAK ...

People who don't want to understand claim others are "incoherent"! That would be YOU!
  • Tiny
  • 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM
What's "incoherent" is your FAKE ASSUMPTIONS to justify depriving others of their Constitutional Rights! It's OK with you to allow a parent to kill their child before it's born (and JUSTIFY IT ON THE BASIS OF AN IMPLIED CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT), but you get all choked up about the POSSIBILITY of a child passing a sickness to someone else .... TO JUSTIFY WIPING AWAY SPECIFICALLY AND COHERENTLY STATED CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.... GO TAKE A BREAK ...

People who don't want to understand claim others are "incoherent"! That would be YOU! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Well, in this thread, you've determined that

I'm pro choice.

I believe there's a constitutional right to abortion.

However I want to wipe away constitutional rights.

I'm a loon who wants to control peoples lives.

I assume that all children have been exposed to coronavirus.

I want to turn the USA into Communist China.

Also there's something about a co-worker I didn't understand. It looks like you're worked up and a little incoherent this afternoon.
  • oeb11
  • 04-12-2020, 01:20 PM
LL - U have become quite fixated on the freedom of religion under the Constitution question.Normally, i agree with most of Ur stands - this I must disagree.
!st Amendment- "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The SC has decided there are limits to "freedom of religion" - and Public Health is an area that takes precedence. One may not endanger the Public Health to practice a religion.. Public health Laws are "reserved to the States" - under the Constitution - and while each State has its own Public health Laws - there is commonality of purpose of these laws.

an Article-
These Churches Refuse To Close Over COVID-19. Does the Constitution Protect Their Right To Remain Open?

Religious liberty, public health, and the police powers of the states

Damon Root | 3.20.2020 12:30 PM - These Churches Refuse To Close Over COVID-19. Does the Constitution Protect Their Right To Remain Open?Religious liberty, public health, and the police powers of the states Damon Root | 3.20.2020 12:30 PM
State governments have responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by ordering residents to avoid gathering together in large groups, including gatherings held for the purpose of religious worship. Some churches are reportedly refusing to comply with such edicts and holding in-person religious services anyway. As the Associated Press reports:
Rodney Howard-Browne, a Florida-based charismatic Christian pastor who prayed over Trump in the Oval Office in 2017, vowed not to stop services and encouraged worshipers to shake hands despite experts identifying that behavior as an easy way to spread the virus.
In Louisiana, pastor Tony Spell was warned by police Tuesday after holding a service that attracted hundreds and flouted a state ban on mass gatherings. Spell, who has claimed that his services also heal cancer and HIV, said that he would not permit "any dictator law" to stop worship.
Does the Constitution's guarantee of religious liberty protect the right of such churches to keep their doors open during a pandemic?
The First Amendment protects "the free exercise" of religion and "the right of the people peaceably to assemble." These are bedrock constitutional principles, deeply enshrined in American law and repeatedly affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court. But the Supreme Court has also said that religious liberty does not trump all forms of government regulation, even when the regulation clearly impacts a specific religious practice.
In Employment Division v. Smith (1990), Justice Antonin Scalia led the Court in upholding Oregon's power to deny public benefits to two individuals who broke the state's drug laws when they used peyote for sacramental purposes as part of a Native American Church ceremony. "We have never held that an individual's religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate," Scalia wrote. In other words, it would be one thing if the state specifically banned the use of peyote for religious purposes. But here the state banned its use for all purposes and thus placed no particular burden on religious users. A "generally applicable" law of that sort, Scalia argued, does not qualify as an unconstitutional infringement on religious liberty.
Here's what that means in the present context: The traditional police powers of the states include the power to combat the spread of infectious diseases via quarantines and related health measures (though these powers are not unlimited). Bans on large gatherings to prevent the spread of COVID-19 would likely fit that bill, at least in the short term. They would also likely fit the bill of "general applicability" as spelled out by Justice Scalia. Such bans apply to society at large and do not single out religious gatherings for closure. They would therefore likely pass muster under Employment Division v. Smith.

Perhaps the key statement of Scalia - of the SC - who wrote -"We have never held that an individual's religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate," Scalia

It is widely held principle that One may not endanger the health and/or well being of others, even in the pursuit of a religious practice. I think LL would not protest the prohibition of "baby sacrifice as part of a religious practice" - clearly State law supercedes the First Amendment - as the risk/consequence to a "baby" is far greater. Admittedly - an extreme example. The same with an individual infected with an infectious disease - which could be fatal- the State and local authorities have the right under the law to quarantine individual - even to prevent that individual from attending religious services due to the risk to uninfected individuals. Diseases -such as smallpox, typhoid fever, bubonic/pneumonic plague , poliomyelitis, and others are examples of diseases warranting quarantine. The wuhan virus has killed more than 15,000 people in the US - it qualifies as a Public Health hazard.

Of note - The ban on large gatherings is a General Ban - not a specific ban on religious gatherings. One is NOT prohibited from any religious practice under Public Health Laws - just gathering in large groups. many churches are hosting remote services by computer social media. I assume other religions are as well - No religions is singled out for the large gathering prohibition. One can pray, share services on social media, and practice One's religion freely. Under a Public Health ban of large gatherings applicable not only to religious gatherings, - but other large gatherings for any lawful purpose. .

After the virus has run its' course - large gatherings - including for religious services - will be permitted when Public health is no longer a concern.

LL - I recognize your concern. Agree with the concern. Hopefully this will allay some of your concern.

I do not feel the Countries' First Amendment rights are violated by the temporary Public Health generated ban on large gatherings. Your right to practice your religion is not substantially infringed on - over and above the standard of Public Health Protection.

If it were so violated - We would see a plethora of lawsuits directed to the SC, and perhaps even the Fascist DPST's might get on board - to protect the religiosity of their ideology. We are not seeing such SC cases.

Another part of the First Amendment - the "right of Assembly" - which can be generalized for the same purposes to assembly for a religious service. The same arguments apply - it is well established the the right of assembly is the right of "Peaceful" assembly. One cannot injure another citizen under this right. Infecting another person with a potentially fatal disease, or spreading that disease outside an assembly - is not covered as a "right" - as decided by the SC. I will not address the right of petition under this argument.

an article -
Interactive Constitution: Right to assemble and petition

The “right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances” protects two distinct rights: assembly and petition. The Clause’s reference to a singular “right” has led some courts and scholars to assume that it protects only the right to assemble in order to petition the government. But the comma after the word “assemble” is residual from earlier drafts that made clearer the Founders’ intention to protect two separate rights. For example, debates in the House of Representatives during the adoption of the Bill of Rights linked “assembly” to the arrest and trial of William Penn for participating in collective religious worship that had nothing to do with petitioning the government. While neither “assembly” nor “petition” is synonymous with “speech,” the modern Supreme Court treats both as subsumed within an expansive “speech” right, often called “freedom of expression.” Many scholars believe that focusing singularly on an expansive idea of speech undervalues the importance of providing independent protection to the remaining textual First Amendment rights, including assembly and petition, which are designed to serve distinctive ends.
Assembly
Assembly is the only right in the First Amendment that requires more than a lone individual for its exercise. One can speak alone; one cannot assemble alone. Moreover, while some assemblies occur spontaneously, most do not. For this reason, the assembly right extends to preparatory activity leading up to the physical act of assembling, protections later recognized by the Supreme Court as a distinct “right of association,” which does not appear in the text of the First Amendment.
The right of assembly often involves non-verbal communication (including the message conveyed by the very existence of the group). A demonstration, picket-line, or parade conveys more than the words on a placard or the chants of the crowd. Assembly is, moreover, truly “free,” since it allows individuals to engage in mass communication powered solely by “sweat equity.”
The right to assemble has been a crucial legal and cultural protection for dissenting and unorthodox groups. The Democratic-Republican Societies, suffragists, abolitionists, religious organizations, labor activists, and civil rights groups have all invoked the right to assemble in protest against prevailing norms. When the Supreme Court extended the right of assembly beyond the federal government to the states in its unanimous 1937 decision, De Jonge v. Oregon, it recognized that “the right of peaceable assembly is a right cognate to those of free speech and free press and is equally fundamental.”
The right of assembly gained particular prominence in tributes to the Bill of Rights as the United States entered the Second World War. Eminent twentieth-century Americans, including Dorothy Thompson, Zechariah Chafee, Louis Brandeis, John Dewey, Orson Welles, and Eleanor Roosevelt, all emphasized the significance of the assembly right. At a time when civil liberties were at the forefront of public consciousness, assembly figured prominently as one of the original “Four Freedoms” (along with speech, press, and religion). When, however, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt switched to a different grouping of “four freedoms” in an effort to rally support for American entry into WWII, assembly (and press) dropped out. Neglect of assembly as a freestanding right has continued ever since. In fact, the Supreme Court has not decided a case explicitly on free assembly grounds in over thirty years. But despite its recent state of hibernation, the freedom to assemble peaceably remains integral to what Justice Robert Jackson once called “the right to differ.”
LL - U have become quite fixated on the freedom of religion under the Constitution question. Originally Posted by oeb11
No, you are incorrect. I am FIXATED on Constitutionally protected rights whether they be in the FIRST AMENDMENT or any other AMENDMENT .... I've carefully studied and actively offered protection to others in an effort to defend their RIGHTS ... as well as taught them to those who seem to not have a full appreciation of their importance in our daily lives.

Having PRACTICED those tenets and defended them I am painfully aware of how those basic principles, which set this country apart from ANY OTHER in the World, are gradually minimized and marginalized by constant exceptions being crafted by LOONS who can't see the toes of their shoes much less even half way down the road from a position they thought was convenient at the moment.

For instance ... do you really want to craft a "health care" exception to any of those RIGHTS? Or for this moment in our HISTORY (and it is but a MOMENT!) ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH SUSPENDING THE 1ST, 4TH, 5TH, 6TH, AND 8TH?

FYI: There are MANY who wish to craft a "health care" exception to the 2ND? How about you?

And with all due respect I really don't give a rat's ass if you agree with me or not. I will put my professional experience and history up against yours or anyone else's in here when it comes to defending people's RIGHTS against hair-brain Government intrusions under the pretense of "we know better"!

There's an "old saying" in the legal-"scholar" community .....

"Bad facts make bad law!"

When was the last time you filled out a "new patient" form at a doctor's office and they asked on the form whether or not you had any FIREARMS in your residence? When was the last time a health care insurance representative asked you if you had any FIREARMS in your residence? And when was the last time a health care insurance representative asked to come do an inspection of your residence to "assure" you are "exercising good health care decisions"?

You know when that shit started? 2010!
Legitimate religions?

Like Trumpholism?

LOLLING! Yous call yourself an American? I don’t think so, Originally Posted by HoeHummer
I'm more American than you, faggot!
I'm more American than you, ... Originally Posted by friendly fred
Doesn't take much.
I'm more American than you, faggot! Originally Posted by friendly fred
Doesn't take much. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Sort yourselves out, Yanks!

• Tiny
  • 04-12-2020, 02:45 PM
The First Amendment protects "the free exercise" of religion and "the right of the people peaceably to assemble." These are bedrock constitutional principles, deeply enshrined in American law and repeatedly affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court. But the Supreme Court has also said that religious liberty does not trump all forms of government regulation, even when the regulation clearly impacts a specific religious practice.
In Employment Division v. Smith (1990), Justice Antonin Scalia led the Court in upholding Oregon's power to deny public benefits to two individuals who broke the state's drug laws when they used peyote for sacramental purposes as part of a Native American Church ceremony. "We have never held that an individual's religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate," Scalia wrote. In other words, it would be one thing if the state specifically banned the use of peyote for religious purposes. But here the state banned its use for all purposes and thus placed no particular burden on religious users. A "generally applicable" law of that sort, Scalia argued, does not qualify as an unconstitutional infringement on religious liberty.
Here's what that means in the present context: The traditional police powers of the states include the power to combat the spread of infectious diseases via quarantines and related health measures (though these powers are not unlimited). Bans on large gatherings to prevent the spread of COVID-19 would likely fit that bill, at least in the short term. They would also likely fit the bill of "general applicability" as spelled out by Justice Scalia. Such bans apply to society at large and do not single out religious gatherings for closure. They would therefore likely pass muster under Employment Division v. Smith. Originally Posted by oeb11
Excellent post Oeb. I'm not a lawyer. And in the United States of America, our government is of the lawyers, by the lawyers and for the lawyers. We should subjugate ourselves to them and never question them. So probably I should keep my mouth shut, especially since I've never defended peoples' constitutional rights in a court of law.

However, I thought the passage about peyote (above) was enlightening. Was Justice Scalia right? You and I lean libertarian so might disagree. If people smoke peyote and it's part of their religion why stop them. They're not hurting other people. Anyway, given his thinking on peyote, you'd think Scalia wouldn't have a problem restricting religious services, if those services were conducted in a way that violates a law applied also to non-religious meetings and if those services expose society to the transmission of a life-threatening disease.
Any violence today?
Yous has every right to go to church. Yous have no right to spread a deadly disease. I would think yous would have to good sense to know the difference Originally Posted by HoeHummer
I was replying to your statement, "I'm not a worshipper but it infuriates me that people that are can't worship in the way they choose."

People absolutely should not be able to worship in the way that they choose if they're killing others by doing so. Originally Posted by Tiny
yup..

some of the people here just want to argue.
It seems like every religious friend I have met their wives at church. One of my friends swears it's a great place to get pussy and encourages me to go to his church and join the Wednesday "singles group". I told him that I am not going to spend 2 fucking hours at his church every Sunday and an hour every Wednesday to get some pussy. He just laughed and said that his wife told him to tell me that I needed to get a "good girl" before I left and he knew that would be my response.

My religious friends don't look down at me because I am no longer married, but their wives sure the fuck do. Their wives look at me like I'm the devil for not wanting to ever get married again and they know I don't go to church.

I had to go to church every Friday and every Sunday when I was a kid. I've been to church enough.
STAY ON TOPIC

DS
Any violence today? Originally Posted by bambino
I haven't heard or seen any "Church violence" today but the OPs threshold for what constituted a violent incident seemed quite low. Even in these "Peak Corona" times.