Is College Still Worth It?

You are BEAUTIFUL Autumn, Originally Posted by Franklin4
Franklin heres a thread you might want to partake..

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=718984
But it's more than that. Like someone mentioned, even manufacturing jobs are becoming so high tech, they require a degree.

My intent is not to get into a semantics argument. My point is more and more "blue collar" jobs are becoming "specialized" to the point they require a degree. Originally Posted by Always Horny
My dad started his business 30 years ago with just an associates and just hired friends and family fresh out of high school. The way his field has grown and advanced he now has to go to special training on computers and equipment yearly not to mention sending staff at his stores to it as well. There is no such thing as just hiring people out of high school in most fields anymore. My dad just turned 50 and had to go back to college for some computer classes to update the system for his businesses.
In 42 out of the 52 states, the highest paid public employee is a college coach.

• GP
  • 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM
They are considered "public employees"?
They are considered "public employees"? Originally Posted by GP
Employees in state universities and colleges are public servants.
sure thing
  • GP
  • 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Every time I see a graphic like this, I always question whether it is accurate. Seems many of them are made by someone with an agenda and a knack for using photoshop.

crap I was looking for the state that pays hook errrr providers the best

but % of johns was mmmm cool ta see
I attended a commencement yesterday, and was struck by two things:

First, the president addressed the very question this thread puts forth. I was turned off when his reply was that those who ask the question are failures in critical thinking. I say they are thinking critically, by questioning the process. No one is questioning if education has merit, only if it is worth the expensive price tag. No one is above questioning, the higher the price tag, the more questions needed.

A handful of persons graduated with the degree: "doctorate of philosophy in community economic development". I say thats a degree in bullshit. If you want economic development, get a degree and get to work. Or just get to work. It seems we have 8 "idea men" for every person willing to get their hands dirty.
  • GP
  • 05-12-2013, 06:55 AM
I hope to tebow that this "president" is a member here and reads this.
2nd that
why?

you in the mood to get audited?
I had a roommate in school that got a graduate degree in philosophy. He landed his dream job...managed a shoe store, ala Al Bundy,
I had a roommate in school that got a graduate degree in philosophy. He landed his dream job...managed a shoe store, ala Al Bundy, Originally Posted by wantsome
I'm not so much busting on philosophy, we need thinkers. But philosophy of community economic development sounds subsidized and worthless.

The shoe stores won't run themselves.
I'm not so much busting on philosophy, we need thinkers. But philosophy of community economic development sounds subsidized and worthless.

The shoe stores won't run themselves. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
But could get ya a in at going to McD's U of burger flipping to run a McD for a x football player tryin ta keep the welfare workers working long enough to be useful.