1st Time Gun Buyer

[QUOTE=ftango4;1057831142]

Have to go to my neighborhood watch party now. Lol Let me come back to you heavy trigger fingers. I want every body to stay cool tonight! Originally Posted by ftango4
Have fun, I'll keep my slingshot near me.
Silent... But deadly.
Choose the gun that you would most like you and/or your family to be shot by, because statistically you and them are more likely to be be shot by your gun than you are to shoot someone else.

Based on this, I would choose large caliber. Quick.
Alex and his merry 'droogs' would have been 'statistics' very quickly.
Great bits of info here. However the only sound information here is practice, practice, practice. Once you feel comfortable after testing several models then, and only then, make your purchase.
All the banter back and forth about shotgun, no shotgun, Sig vs Glock is really nothing but someone's opinion. It is up to you to decide what path you wish to follow.
I was once told by a DPD officer, if you can't shoot to kill then don't own a firearm! Again an opinion but one I value.
Don't forget to get your LTC (formerly known as CHL)
  • Crock
  • 02-21-2016, 02:57 PM
This is definitely sound advise however with 1 modification. To see a Good variety of Firearms that you can pick up, see what feels comfortable, I would recommend going to a Gun Show on a weekend. This will definitely offer a larger variety and many choices.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all gun ranges will have all the different weapons that are available.

Go to a gun show, make a list of what you like, call the gun ranges to see if they have that weapon/weapons, then try them out.

Took a few months to figure out that the Springfield XD was more comfortable to me than a Glock. Originally Posted by rbkg402
Good advice, but I'll add something to it: If you're planning on carrying this gun, don't get too exotic. Stick with a popular gun. A good rule of thumb is to choose a gun that police use (any police).

Why? Same reason you should consider sticking with a popular cell phone: accessories.

Nothing worse than finding the gun you like, and then finding out that nobody makes holsters for it and you have to settle for some crappy nylon one-size-fits-all holster.

Some also claim that it's easier to defend a use of force if you're using the same gun as the cops, but I don't think that's as much of an issue here in Texas as it is in other states.

Some also claim that it's easier to defend a use of force if you're using the same gun as the cops, but I don't think that's as much of an issue here in Texas as it is in other states. Originally Posted by Crock
That's an interesting point. Haven't considered that but I can see how the legal system would spin that. Guess that's a consideration before you buy that .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or that .500 S&W Magnum.
Finally, someone mentioned the Taurus Judge. Its good for so many reasons. If you have others in your home then you dont want to over penetrate walls as others mentioned, or neighbors. It's a shotgun so as they said, just point and shoot, you will hit. You can mix it up , start with bird shot, next chambers can increase in lethality. Such as buck shot or a .45 cal. You also get the reliability of a revolver and readiness to shoot. Lastly, if you have kids you can keep it at your bedside ready to go but in a small, quick to open gun safe.
12 ga shotgun seems to be the best home defense weapon of choice.

Inexpensive shells in a variety of loads and even if you get close your going to take some skin away from whoever your pointing it at....

Go Class III, incorporate a business, an S Corporation for investment purposes only and your transfers are generally less than 30 days. Carry a copy of the paperwork every where you transport the weapon and no need for a license or carry permit, you have NFA paperwork. Then buy you a short barreled shotgun. Wider pattern so if you get close you'll hit whatever your aiming at.

Supporter of Class III in North Texas.
Finally, someone mentioned the Taurus Judge. Its good for so many reasons. If you have others in your home then you dont want to over penetrate walls as others mentioned, or neighbors. It's a shotgun so as they said, just point and shoot, you will hit. You can mix it up , start with bird shot, next chambers can increase in lethality. Such as buck shot or a .45 cal. You also get the reliability of a revolver and readiness to shoot. Lastly, if you have kids you can keep it at your bedside ready to go but in a small, quick to open gun safe. Originally Posted by e0776m
Love the Judge. That's my choice. A shotgun and a no-jam revolver combined.
As I forget to turn the safety off when at the range I purchased a Springfield XD 9MM. It has a grip safety so I am ready to shoot out of the holster. With my arthritis I have trouble racking it so there is a round in the pipe. Legal here in Texas but not in New Mexico.
Skip the other stuff and go to Ray's on Singleton. Best knowledge by a mile and they have everything you need or want. Guaranteed.