Pelosi and Cuomo Sign Gun Confiscation Bill into New York State Law

What are you talking about here? The law is intended to regulate "bad" people? Yeah, I'd love to see how that's working out for ya. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
No way to discuss this topic with you Ellen.

You're obviously in favor of making these weapons available to anybody and everybody.

Good nuts with guns will always stop bad nuts with guns.

Right?
  • grean
  • 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM
No way to discuss this topic with you Ellen.

You're obviously in favor of making these weapons available to anybody and everybody.

Right? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

If you just take away the guns from a bad nut, how does that prevent him from doing harm in some other way?
Your info on the Las Vegas shooter is 20/20 hindsight; hence, no red flag law you crafted could have stopped him.

The man in Maryland surmised he had violated absolutely not one single law; yet, cops burst into his home to steal his property in violation of his 4th Amendment rights. People like you put him up against the wall and executed him for their own pathetic sense of peace of mind.
Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Regarding the man in Maryland. Get your facts straight. No one "burst into his home". The man was not "executed". He did not obey the orders of a law enforcement officer and they felt it necessary to protect themselves. Again, this is what just about EVERYONE on this forum advises one to do when given such an order by LE.

The subject of the protective order, Gary J. Willis, 60, answered his door in the 100 block of Linwood Ave. at 5:17 a.m. with a gun in his hand, Anne Arundel County police said. He initially put the gun down next to the door, but “became irate” when officers began to serve him with the order, opened the door and picked up the gun again, police said.
Anne Arundel police chief: Shooting was evidence that month-old 'red flag' law is needed »

“A fight ensued over the gun,” said Sgt. Jacklyn Davis, a police spokeswoman.

One of the officers struggled to take the gun from Willis, and during the struggle the gun fired but did not strike anyone, police said. At that point, the other officer fatally shot Willis, police said.

I'm sorry, but there are people out there who should not be allowed to have a firearm in their possession. Like I keep saying, gun rights advocates continue to say don't blame the gun, keep the gun out of people who might be dangerous with that gun. I agree, yet when laws are put in place to do just that, people like you say it's not right.
Assume we could destroy every single gun from existence. Evil men will still do aweful acts against good people. Good people would just be less able, without having guns themselves, to thwart off the attacks of those evil men. Originally Posted by grean
Very nice response.

I will guarantee you this. If you want to kill me and you are 10 feet from me with a gun and you have minimal training with that gun, in all likelihood I am dead. If you are 10 feet from me with any other weapon I will more than likely be alive. Guns do not kill but they make killing much more easy.

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way advocating doing away with guns. I choose not to own one. If you have made the choice to own one or many, I have no problem with that decision.
Yssup,

How does the law remove the threat? Originally Posted by grean
It's the intent...

Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
That is PRICELESS wisdom...
What are you talking about here? The law is intended to regulate "bad" people? Yeah, I'd love to see how that's working out for ya. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
YP say...left good...right bad...work good!!
SpeedRacer
We need to get some new laws on the books to catch up...so when we don't have guns!!https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8286866.htmlhttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8631606.html
Oh...and like YR said we just need to make sure bad people don't have guns...problem solved!!
The law isn’t intended to regulate good people. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Criminals...TAKE NOTE!!
SpeedRacer
We need to get some new laws on the books to catch up...so when we don't have guns!!https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8286866.htmlhttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8631606.html
Oh...and like YR said we just need to make sure bad people don't have guns...problem solved!! Originally Posted by bb1961
You do realize that the article states that the homicide rate in NY has tumbled in recent years. Lowest since 1994 and possibly the lowest since WW II. 2,245 murders in 1990 and 290 in 2017. And although the article continues to say that the reasons for the incredible decline are "hotly debated" it is true that NY has rather strict gun control laws.

As I just said, I support the rights of you and everyone else to own a firearm as long as you obey the laws of the state in which you live. Some states have rather strict gun laws and others do not.
  • grean
  • 03-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Very nice response.

I will guarantee you this. If you want to kill me and you are 10 feet from me with a gun and you have minimal training with that gun, in all likelihood I am dead. If you are 10 feet from me with any other weapon I will more than likely be alive. Guns do not kill but they make killing much more easy.

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way advocating doing away with guns. I choose not to own one. If you have made the choice to own one or many, I have no problem with that decision. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
The end of my post rabbited off course a bit.

We're not discussing doing away with guns. I'm trying to explain how Red Flag laws do not remove a possible threat.

Without appropriate due process of having an in person mental health evaluation by a train medical doctor, like your family member was afforded, the rights of citizens who have committed no crime, can be stripped of their rights.

That's just wrong.

The Supreme Court, agree with their decision or not, has said non felonious crimes are not cause for taking away a person's rights.

You can beat your wife and still keep your guns.

If your neighbor or brother gets pissed at you, you can get your property taken without being able to object or defend yourself prior to having your stuff yanked from you.

I'm thinking this will get batted down once it's reaches SCOTUS.
Regarding the man in Maryland. Get your facts straight. No one "burst into his home". The man was not "executed". He did not obey the orders of a law enforcement officer and they felt it necessary to protect themselves. Again, this is what just about EVERYONE on this forum advises one to do when given such an order by LE.

The subject of the protective order, Gary J. Willis, 60, answered his door in the 100 block of Linwood Ave. at 5:17 a.m. with a gun in his hand, Anne Arundel County police said. He initially put the gun down next to the door, but “became irate” when officers began to serve him with the order, opened the door and picked up the gun again, police said.
Anne Arundel police chief: Shooting was evidence that month-old 'red flag' law is needed »

“A fight ensued over the gun,” said Sgt. Jacklyn Davis, a police spokeswoman.

One of the officers struggled to take the gun from Willis, and during the struggle the gun fired but did not strike anyone, police said. At that point, the other officer fatally shot Willis, police said.

I'm sorry, but there are people out there who should not be allowed to have a firearm in their possession. Like I keep saying, gun rights advocates continue to say don't blame the gun, keep the gun out of people who might be dangerous with that gun. I agree, yet when laws are put in place to do just that, people like you say it's not right.
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
The cops "burst" into house until you can show where Mr. Willis invited those cops to come over to his house for a cup of coffee.

And Mr. Willis was executed because he tried to protect his property from thieves.

One relative is on record as stating Mr. Willis wasn't a danger to anyone, but you, of course, are going to side with the story of the relative Mr. Willis was in a pissing contest with because it serves to advance your anti-gun agenda. How self-serving of you.
Speed race 10 feet Okay , Somebody runs you over with a Ford pickup your still dead ,,, ( auto kill a lot more people every year ) ,,, And less then 21 feet with a knife is deadly Take note tactically speaking.
Point is the intent bad people will do bad things
You do realize that the article states that the homicide rate in NY has tumbled in recent years. Lowest since 1994 and possibly the lowest since WW II. 2,245 murders in 1990 and 290 in 2017. And although the article continues to say that the reasons for the incredible decline are "hotly debated" it is true that NY has rather strict gun control laws.

As I just said, I support the rights of you and everyone else to own a firearm as long as you obey the laws of the state in which you live. Some states have rather strict gun laws and others do not. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
My point exactly...the UK has VERY strict gun laws and there weapon of chose...knifes!!
My point is no laws are going to stop murderous people...this law doesn't address deadly knifes!!
I guess they'll get around to that next...then the next deadly weapon!!
What about rocks?

There’s enough rocks to kill everyone on earth several times.